Sign in to follow this  
bihlbo

More uses for resin, sticks, etc

Question

A bit of balance seems necessary. For instance, you have to cut down about 40 trees just to have a ship and a house. There is no way to use up anywhere near the amount of resin, sticks, and firewood that you get from those trees. If you're ambitious you can use up 10% of that. This situation is a prime example of the imbalance in material needs and uses. It seems like the burn time for charcoal is just about right, but the burn time for sticks and such is too long. I'd prefer to see one stick only capable of giving you a burn time of 1 minute. You'd use up more sticks this way.

If I were able to make a mod for this game, I would make a Cauldron workstation. The concept is of a lidded cauldron over a fire, meant to boil things, and the uses I have in mind for it would allow you to use up all those tree byproducts.
1) Boil firewood to extract resin. Or, use a knife on firewood to cut it to sticks.
2) Boil resin to condense it into varnish, which is used to "lock" freeplaced objects. This lock only prevents right-clicking to pick the item, not protection from other players.
3) Boil sticks to change them into wicker, which has the same uses as bamboo.
4) Both bamboo and wicker must be combined with varnish to be turned into a building block object.
5) Boil varnish to distill turpentine, which acts as a solvent for varnish (use to "unlock" objects "locked" with varnish).
6) Cauldron could be used to further the challenge in making alchemy by requiring you to boil flowers for their extracts.

4 replies to this bug / suggestion

I also gather sticks and wood pieces left behind by other tree harvesters  to power my boat ( tidies up the region and may reduce lag) .... but what would be good would be to use gravel,  crushed marble and  clay  and sand to make cement ..and  craft cement  blocks  and  archways etc ¬¬

• Like 1

I've used all the sticks, bark and wood pieces that I had making charcoal for the ships steam engines.  But more uses for them is a good idea as well as more uses for resin and maybe even the little rocks.  I won't spoil it but there are more blocks out there that we can't craft yet that I have discovered so I think there are plans to expand at some point.

1 hour ago, kimbuck said:

I also gather sticks and wood pieces left behind by other tree harvesters  to power my boat ( tidies up the region and may reduce lag) .... but what would be good would be to use gravel,  crushed marble and  clay  and sand to make cement ..and  craft cement  blocks  and  archways etc ¬¬

I use gravel to make piers.  works best facing north.  Nice cause it shows up on the map but it may not show up after the next  update when they change the map for MP.

I farm logs from Banana trees - 2 logs (and fruit) from each... and no resin, sticks, wooden pieces or even stumps to deal with!  Also, a strength potion steams through a good 60 of them before running out. If you don't pick the fruit you will get seeds also.

I use the gravel to terraform rocky areas - its a little darker but a much better option than dirt or sand. 

Edited by TheSparkPlug