Sign in to follow this  
Indomitus

Protective Barriers, online multiplayer

Question

I know it has already been suggested to allow us to turn off and move our PB.  I agree with this.  If we decide to change homes to avoid griefers or if we just found a better island, we lose our PB and the new home will never be protected.  Just have a rule that one PB can not be placed inside another or overlap them (if the rule doesn't already exist) to avoid griefers using their PB to cause problems inside someone's home.

I think the PB should also become our spawn point when it is active.

• Upvote 1

4 replies to this bug / suggestion

1 hour ago, Indomitus said:

I think the PB should also become our spawn point when it is active.

That’s a good idea.

I don't know if I want it to be our spawn point, but it would be super useful if it could be a mark on our map. I currently only build within view of the shore because on a large island it can be hard to find an inland base. If it was markable on the map I could build anywhere.

• Downvote 1

Maybe it could change which island becomes our spawn, if not that specific location.  If something goes wrong, I'd like to be able to get started recovering quickly, and not worry about having to sail to another island where I put my base.

And I like the idea of it being visible on our map.

I understand the desire to have the barrier become a respawn point (we've experimented with it actually, and with the right logic in place you can do this in a non-explore map).  I think, however, that risk management is a part of the explorer game and would be diminished by the safety of having a quick respawn to your base.

As it stands now, respawn is done to the closest island's respawn point but there are some exceptions - I've noticed that you sometimes end up on the respawn for the server itself.  I think this happens when you aren't associated to any island (like falling through the world), or perhaps if the island you're on is not hospitable and has no resources (polar desert perhaps).  I think that's a reasonable setup assuming no bugs and you respawn randomly to an island halfway across the world.  You can still mitigate risk by bringing some backup gear with you, locking it up on a ship, and knowing how to get to it in the event of death on that island.

That said, if we could have some way of teleporting to a barrier/base but at a cost (maybe gold coins or can only be done once a day or something), I'd be open to exploring that further.