kimbuck

ship hull improvements an easy fix/addition?

Question

Currently the  ships  curved hull makes it kind of   fussy/messy/time consuming   to add a decent  superstructure. Suggestions have  been made for   new hull designs  ..

But  wouldn't it be easier to implement if  we could  craft  different  stern  or   forepart shapes that  fitted on the basic  hull and flush with the deck,  making the  top part of the hull rectangular, or  a  shape  more conducive to adding  things?

These parts  would  clip onto the  stern or  bow of the  existing  hull designs... and eliminate the  fiddling  with individual   blocks etc  to  make a flush fitting hull deck  suitable  for a   creative  superstructure.

No need for a new  hull design,   just the addition of  2  extra   objects :D

Now, if the  devs  could bring this in  at 0.9      they would  be love-bombed with accolades from all and sundry:x

please  everyone  --- vote  this suggestion up  and lets have it!:D

Edited by kimbuck
  • Upvote 2

7 replies to this bug / suggestion

7 minutes ago, kimbuck said:

Currently the  ships  curved hull makes it kind of   fussy/messy/time consuming   to add a decent  superstructure. Suggestions have  been made for   new hull designs  ..

But  wouldn't it be easier to implement if  we could  craft  different  stern  or   forepart shapes that  fitted on the basic  hull and flush with the deck,  making the  top part of the hull rectangular, or  a  shape  more conducive to adding  things?

These parts  would  clip onto the  stern or  bow of the  existing  hull designs... and eliminate the  fiddling  with individual   blocks etc  to  make a flush fitting hull deck  suitable  for a   creative  superstructure.

No need for a new  hull design,   just the addition of  2  extra   objects :D

Now, if the  devs  could bring this in  at 0.9      they would  be love-bombed with accolades from all and sundry:x

please  everyone  --- vote  this suggestion up  and lets have it!:D

I really like this idea,  keep the streamline shape of the ship as it's just right for a ship.  And they don't even have to stop with just 2 extra's why not some fore and aft sections that would look more sci fi,  modern or more steam punk or any number of genres.  Games like this only thrive on choices.  I like that the ship doesn't look like a floating voxel.

yes the   basic  hull would remain the  same ...just these "bits" would   clip on instead of the  existing  bow/stern....    why not also add   a craft-able  wheelhouse  or  cabin ? No   change of the existing  hull  design  needed   .....   just  add-ons   that "fit" the  existing  shapes to make   the deck sides    parallel   and easier to   build on:D

Looks at ane  and   ales  and   batts  eyelids....  " pwetty  pweas with sugar on top? ";)

even though I usually make my own or combine it, but would be nice if we have more variation. I guess, its necessary and I believe they are planning/working on it, lets see..^_^

Alternately, they could change the collision pattern of the hull so that the blocks could basically clip one square into the side of it, kind of like they can with the ground (just not all the way through).

Although I normally just say "eh, whatever" and fill in the gaps so I won't fall through, then just deal with what's left.  (I usually build for speed and carrying capacity, not beauty.)

Edited by Indomitus

would love it if there were basic "raft" type platforms of various sizes, and the various sizes that we could then mount these pre-made shapes/cabins/parts on to.  Alternatively, just build right around the raft platform to shape the boat into exactly what you want.  Could be as simple as a large raft with 6 masts on it, or a small raft that only takes an oar.  This would also give us the flexibility to have a single-engine personal craft (think existing boat with a single engine instead of the small sail).

For this to truly work, we'd need a dry-dock type of setup so we can build below the raft and have a proper custom hull.

Anyway, food for thought.

• Upvote 1

Gonna go out here on a limb here, i would rather much prefer ships be fixed before enhancing them further with features.

13 hours ago, Energritz_ said:

Gonna go out here on a limb here, i would rather much prefer ships be fixed before enhancing them further with features.

Goes without saying - many of us have reported that already.  We're not saying do this instead of fixing the existing problems.  The whole game needs fixing before enhancing any functionality, to be honest.