Sign in to follow this  
kimbuck

types of players ...and how they enhance or wreck your fun

My Rl  work  involved assessing job applicants  suitability for  various forms of  employment. It  didn't matter  how  smart the suit  was, or  how  short was the  skirt,  or  how wide the  smile... as soon as the applicant opened their mouth to speak  ..you would  know!:P

So  when  someone   in game   calls  me   bro .. or  bruh.. or  uses certain trendy phrases that are  unique to their  gender, or   country,  you  can  be  99%  correct in  what you expect  to hear next. People   tend to  stick to stereotypes, most of the  time.

Playing   sp is  a good way to learn ... to survive craft and build ..but then it gets  boring ...you need to interact with  more than  wolves . and  NPC's...  so you  dive into a MP game...

.... and its not  rainbows ,  unicorns  and  dancing  pixies!

Basically   5 percent  you meet are  wonderful  people ...  94% are  assholes,  and the  remaining  1% are  cuckoos..

But  whats   new?  real life is the same   so would  Ylands  be different?

Strangely,   the  asses  i meet  are from a  certain  area in the world ... the cuckoos  another..   so  when  some guy  arrives     and does  a childish   dancing   emote ...   calls  you  bro  or  something  similar ..or refuses to communicate  .. you immediately   think   "here goes the neighborhood!"   and sure enough ...     

But  i will  persist.. the  group i am with are great  but they too  sometimes  feel the strain of  tame  horses being  slaughtered,   rubbish left around  and passive forms of  griefing, by  logging out and never returning leaving  your  corpse on someones  doorstep  or in their  house   ...

We  definitely  need a means of  removing  these   non serious   players  who after  several  days   laying there  decomposing  just waste  data space   ;) 

Edited by kimbuck

10 hours ago, kimbuck said:

But  whats   new?  real life is the same   so would  Ylands  be different?

You have a really dim view of humanity and a warped sense of reality.  Online game play in multiplayer games differs from real life in one very important aspect in online games and things like social media you never have to look anyone in the eyes.  I'd say real life is completely opposite of what you state.  Most people are wonderful people.  When you play online PvP games you have to remember it's not real life.  I suggest you go to a park or a library or a pub or a mall and smile at people and say hello instead of basing your perceptions on fantasy online games where people sign up specifically to kill your character and ruin your day.  I dont find it surprising at all that PvP games attract people with anti-social tendencies who wish to ruin your day.  As an example yesterday I ran a few errands.  E-check center for my car.  100% wonderful people who smiled and engaged in conversation including workers customers and even a volunteer who was filling the charity gumball machines and removing the money that wonderful people spent on candy for charity smiled and said have a great day.  Second was the bureau of motor vehicles to renew my license tags where again people waiting in line engaged in conversations smiled at each other,  laughed and joked with each other and even some of the workers who were extremely busy took the time to smile and joke around a bit.  In short PvP games attract people with anti-social tendencies they always have and they always will.  Even games that have separate servers for PvP and PvE have bleed over from PvP servers.  You cant change that.  You can only change the way you act and which games you play if you do that you will have 100% control of your gaming experience.  I myself abhor griefing as you do but i'm a realist and i Know I have no control over other people actions and I play mutilplayer games where it's held to a bare minimum.  Sure there are bad apples in real life but 94%?  Really? 

Im pretty sure she was talking about the online world.  She mentioned her RL job to talk about assessment skills. 

And you should come check out the time, effort and care she puts in to have a fun, safe place for serious players. Then see the devestation to all that work from just one troll. It does get disheartening.

3 minutes ago, bojo2736 said:

Im pretty sure she was talking about the online world.  She mentioned her RL job to talk about assessment skills. 

And you should come check out the time, effort and care she puts in to have a fun, safe place for serious players. Then see the devestation to all that work from just one troll. It does get disheartening.

I totally understand her pain and frustration and I feel bad that she doesn't understand why it happens and I tried to explain the best way I could.  My main point is that when a person engages in an activity where they feel frustrated over and over again they maybe need to change course until the problems with the game are solved.  In reality the problems may or may not ever be solved.   I don't claim to know how seriously this affects her life but it sounds like she in in distress over a computer game she has no control over.  I genuinely feel bad and wanted to let her know she is in 100% control over her choices in what games to play. Ultimately as people we are responsible for choosing games that fit our needs.  I like multiplayer games and people and I hope to play YLands multiplayer someday but I refuse to subject myself to that kind of frustration until the game is more friendly to PvE players.

Here's my 2 cents.... When I started playing MP, I had the same problems as Kim..... then I started playing only on servers that are private and require a password.... since then I've not had one person be a pain and cause stress from destroying all my hard work. The other option would be to contact the devs and have your own dedi server where Kim could control as much or as little as she likes.

For now, the only way to play MP is privately or on your own server... unless you're happy with PVP.

Have a great weekend guys

Onedown... do we live in a perfect world?  a world  without   hate, wars, terrorism and such? ... as John  Lennon   sang  in  "imagine" ?

The internet  is  toxic  in  a lot of  areas ..  like the Monty Python sketch  where they had a department you went to if you wanted an argument,  here its  join a forum...any forum:D ...same  result! 

Not  wanting an argument here, but  stating that as soon as you  first interact  with another player in MP Ylands, you instantly know  whats  going to  happen next when you either see a throw away  account  name  or someone   who  acts in a really   goofy  immature  manner.

Throw away  names... that's   names  that  usually use the   first five letters of the   keyboard ..  like  asdfg  or  sadgf    etc  or  similar  combinations   .. whenever i  encounter  a player with an in game  name like that, its always 100% trouble...  they grief  for an  hour  then  abandon the   game  and   do the same on another server ..   if they are not  banned , they come back later..    The name  betrays  their lack of  creativity.

As   Bojo commented   .. i have rl  experience in  sorting the  bull-shooters  from  the genuine person with  genuine  non inflated  qualifications. For example   we had a job applicant  for a aged care hostel  who stated in  a  previous  job he supervised 45 subordinates at a medical  institution...  it did not  add up and  after questioning  a  slip of the tongue by  him revealed a clue that when followed up exposed the fact  the  subordinates were animals  used in a research station... namely  mice!:D

Regarding  stress..  Its a game  and i  can always pull the plug and walk away.  But its  disappointing   when you use   your  grey matter to create  something like a help area to  assist and encourage new players   and an  ignorant  troll then arrives and  stomps  all over  your  work.  Some are just trolls  -  others are plainly nasty  like the one that left hateful messages  inside buildings i created, and  who posted abusive words in chat when where  children were watching me create  ( and learning) ..and could could  see what this moron  wrote.

The reason why i like  mp games that are moderated is that you CAN meet  new  intelligent creative  people, and  there's  quite a collection  coming to  the server to interact  with me,  Bojo, and others in a friendly  manner  and engage in humorous and interesting  chat on discord. We  can go a week  without interruption, then some half-brain comes in and runs rampant in just an hour when moderation is  not possible...  ( there are  issues with the allocation of  admin  rights  it seems ..and the  power to ban etc  does not  stick if  you log out ... a crash will render useless any admin  rights  handed out  prior to the  server moderators  nightly  retirement.)

But as they say ..practice makes perfect .. every time you rebuild its better. ( we need a  thumbs up  emote here)

But . its disappointing to see that when the trolls do arrive, its  from the  same areas on the earth.  No wonder there are world  wars  :|

Also  note : I  play PVE .  ----    PVP is not - and never will be my cup of tea!  To  each  his  own.

Edited by kimbuck
my spelling is better than the spellchecker
  • Upvote 1