Just Paul

Item ID and naming?

First let me preface this with I'm new :D my wife and I just got the game last Friday and absolutely love it!  

The main problem we're having is identifying items to build with.  We're playing survival mode and trying to construct things like a boat or a house but can't properly identify any of the wood blocks.

I feel like I'm missing something.   The wooden blocks all have the same names, even after building all of them at least once.  We thought making them would name them differently, but that didn't work.   We watched videos on the game from a year ago and see lots of different names for blocks that are just now called "Wooden Block" and when mouse hovering over them they moved and showed a more accurate view of the block before building it.   Now most of the wooden blocks look very similar and or we can't determine their actual shape what so ever.  

Is there a setting we're missing?  or is it because we are playing in survival mode?   or is it that the game was reverted from 2017 to where it is today?

Thanks in advanced :)

Hi @Just Paul, welcome to Ylands! You and your wife too, of course. 

Yes, the blocks were beams, panels and desks but they were renamed so searching for blocks is easier. The 3d model in inventory was changed to 2d sprites to improve performance. And even though some of the blocks could use a better angle for the sprite, it looks a little better than before. To see it from more angles, you have to click on it with left mouse click. This should bring up item preview with bigger 3d image of the block that you can even rotate. Hope this helps you :)

That actually doesn't help at all because what you described doesn't seem to be something I see in our games?    You mean once you've used material to make an item you then can rotate it and see its angles... Can that be done before wasting materials on items before making something you aren't sure is the item you need?

When we left click on any block in the crafting menu it does not give us a 3D image that we can rotate or look at from different angles and when searching "Wooden Block"  we get countless different shapes and sizes with no other description to help determine what size and dimension the blocks are aside from some looking square and others looking elongated.   Print screens provided to show what I'm seeing.   Some of the videos I watched had quite a few different names for some of these blocks but now all of them are just "Wooden Blocks"?  that does not seem easier to search for the block you need if you need something specific sized and yet can't tell unless you build it what size it actually is or if its a triangle shaped or square.  Some of these you can build and the picture / sprite indicates its square then it turns out to be multi angled block >_<   

Am I missing something or is this how it is right now?  

Ylands_180903_094307.png

Edited by Just Paul

I think this is something that can be improved on.  Maybe they can keep the name for searching, and add a description or subtitle for each one, that gives more detail?  They can try turning the model in the image, which would help with many of them, but it wouldn't help with all of them.  What we have now is an improvement over what we had before, but there's still some room to make it better.

21 minutes ago, Indomitus said:

I think this is something that can be improved on.  Maybe they can keep the name for searching, and add a description or subtitle for each one, that gives more detail?  They can try turning the model in the image, which would help with many of them, but it wouldn't help with all of them.  What we have now is an improvement over what we had before, but there's still some room to make it better.

ahh okay just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Thank you for letting me know that is how the game is in its current state.

We do plan to add the descriptions of the blocks with their approximate sizes (like 1x1x2 etc.), so when you hover with the mouse cursor over them, you would see it. Can't really say in which of the updates this will be included though.

• Like 1