Sign in to follow this  
RedEagle_P1.

Is there still hope for Ylands?

A lot of people are concerned about the development of Ylands as a game.

I totally understand the frustrations people are voicing. A lot of the fundamental multiplayer components of the game have been broken for a long time now. Lag and resets on servers are frustrating and being a server manager is even harder. Optimization is still a big need too with lower-end devices struggling.

With the development team growing to 50 people and the new producer Iceman, from the very successful Arma 3, taking over I believe the dev team will crack it and get it done.

This little game started in the Bohemia Interactive incubator program but it's now growing out of its shell. In talking with both Bohemia and Tencent I really caught the vision, that this is not only a game but something much greater.Bohemia is interested in developing a creator community were talented creators can earn funds by selling their assets on the workshop.

When talking with them I envision a game that’s a platform for game developers, builders and creators of all sorts.  I also hear that Tencent will be bringing this game to Universities as a game development tool.

Right now it's still early days but I believe the future of this game is bright.

I'd love to know what you think. Will this game become something great or is it destined for the ash-heap? 

Edited by RedEagle_P1.

Right now the game is like that friend you love, but he has problems. So you try to paint the best light, but he does have his problems, no denying.

I try to focus on what it can and hopefully will become.  It has the creative potential to be something on the level of Minecraft or even LBP.  (Though I try not to draw those connections too much.  Ylands really is its own thing.)  This is one of the reasons, of all the EA games I've played, I'm far more engaged in the process for this one.

Personally I'm in love with the Editor and the scripting.  If it never went any farther than it is now, I would be frustrated but I would still have fun with it.  But I know that's not true for everybody.

It will need a few pieces for the general public to want to play it.  Some kind of built-in "story mode" would help with that.  For Ylands, it wouldn't need to be a linear story mode, but instead maybe a hunt for a collection of artifacts to unlock a specific end goal.  Perhaps the player takes the role of an Indiana Jones kind of adventurer, looking for pieces to unlock a big temple, or something.  The sort of "story" that could benefit from the game's procedural generation to scatter the objects across the map, and reward the player by unlocking certain playable items or modes.  That gives the average player their sense of accomplishment, and some incentive to at least play the game once.

On 17/10/2018 at 3:05 AM, bb cakes_P1 said:

Right now the game is like that friend you love, but he has problems. So you try to paint the best light, but he does have his problems, no denying.

That's a really nice way of putting it! :D Yeah, your friend has been through some bad times, but he's getting better and I think it might be a good idea to pay him a visit and spend some time with him after 0.11 gets out. Lately he's been trying pretty hard to get better so he'll be happy to see you :) 

As for some kind of story-line or giving players some goals - agreed, this is needed and we've actually started working on this (it has something to do with the arrival of the second game world) but it was put on hold of now because the priority is now to fix everything that's broken with Ylands (or just doesn't feel right). As soon as we get over this, we'll return to working on the story-line (of sorts).

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1