Oliver Hope

Detecting throwing or holding

Hey all

I'm trying to find an efficent way of detecting when a player throws a grenade, preferably with an events listener, If this is not possible then id  like to detect when they are holding one.

i need to know when they are holding it at any given time not just when they say walk in a trigger zone

thanks

Edited by Oliver Hope_P1

Why not detect damage where it lands? Give everything 999999 health, make the nade do 0.1 damage, on damage do __. 

4 hours ago, RedEagle_P1. said:

Why not detect damage where it lands? Give everything 999999 health, make the nade do 0.1 damage, on damage do __. 

several reasons:

You wouldnt be able to detect if the grenade landed on terrain 

you cant set the price damage grenades do

checking for damage on every game object probably isnt too efficent

Okay I can't seem to recreate my trigger from before but this following code should be good enough for all intents and purposes.

1) Create a Entity Label and set it to contain a Grenade.

2) Create a Entity Template and set it to contain the same grenade.

3) In your Entity Label script  On Entity Removed Entity Spawn Entity Template

the system registers that when your grenade gets removed from the game this event triggers. The game "deletes" the grenade when item is thrown, not when it explodes.  This means the trigger won't activate if you drop it on the ground, but will activate if you dismantle/break it.

4) In your Entity Template script On Entity Spawn Entity Attach Label Entity Entity Label Entity Label

Ylands grenade.png

Edited by Igor Quintero

13 hours ago, Igor Quintero said:

Okay I can't seem to recreate my trigger from before but this following code should be good enough for all intents and purposes.

1) Create a Entity Label and set it to contain a Grenade.

2) Create a Entity Template and set it to contain the same grenade.

3) In your Entity Label script  On Entity Removed Entity Spawn Entity Template

the system registers that when your grenade gets removed from the game this event triggers. The game "deletes" the grenade when item is thrown, not when it explodes.  This means the trigger won't activate if you drop it on the ground, but will activate if you dismantle/break it.

4) In your Entity Template script On Entity Spawn Entity Attach Label Entity Entity Label Entity Label

Ylands grenade.png

Great idea thanks, i simplified it slightly and just used an event listener listening on type grenade.

1 hour ago, Oliver Hope_P1 said:

Great idea thanks, i simplified it slightly and just used an event listener listening on type grenade.

I tried using the event listener on "Ignite" but for some reason it did not produce consistent results. What did you use?

23 hours ago, Igor Quintero said:

I tried using the event listener on "Ignite" but for some reason it did not produce consistent results. What did you use?

i used the on entity removed from inventory, I painted and renamed a vacuum tube to a smoke bomb and you just press x  to use it