Sign in to follow this  
Indomitus

Command Line Mapping Tool

Are you working on a map for your server?  Need a full map of all the islands so you can plan where things will go?  Here's your tool.

https://workshop.ylands.com/asset/1080

Ylands_190420_142359.thumb.png.5afca5b1df1662395afa0d2516ef6866.png

Ylands_190420_142945.thumb.png.b59972f6c59a932c3a8eaa2479680c1f.png

How to use it (or what I consider the best way):

- Drop the composition into your scenario, next to the spawn point.

- Export the scenario to a local single-player game.  (DO NOT use this on a server or with multiplayer!)

- Make a note of the island locations, from the "GO TO" menu.  Screenshot it, or write them down.  Whatever works.

- Start a copy of that exported game.  (This will save your revealed map in that save file, for any time you need to see it.)

- Pick up the map to activate it, and start mapping your islands one by one, using their coordinates as the X and Z values.

- Once your islands are mapped, the tool can also help you teleport around and explore, as you decide where you'll place your buildings and landmarks.

**Don't forget to delete it back out of your scenario before you publish it.

What is it doing?  It's basically picking up your Ylander and throwing them across the map at super-high speeds.  It's safer than it sounds.  Mostly.

Important notes:

The size of a map square is limited by the code to 2500 meters across.  Since the mapping "flight" itself is resource-intensive, blocks larger than that could cause problems.  In reality, 1000 to 1500 should be more than large enough to reveal an entire island.

A 1500 meter square should take about 3 minutes to reveal, including the occasional pause to let the game rest a bit and catch up (so it doesn't crash).  A whole map can be done in less than an hour.

No Ylanders were harmed in the making of this tool.  The boar did get a few bruises, though.

Edited by Indomitus
  • Like 2

Cute tool. Have you tried experimenting this with an NPC? 
I would think if you can throw an NPC around you can still map out a region.

Edited by Igor Q.

Have not tried that.  It would be interesting to see if the map functions when equipped for an NPC.  If it works, I could make this go even faster, because I wouldn't be fighting against the game loading and unloading chunks of terrain.

edit:  I gave it a quick test, and no, I don't think the map is activated when an NPC is carrying it.  It specifically has to be in a player's hotbar to function.

Edited by Indomitus

Working on an update for this tool:

1.  Fixing "m" command which was accidentally not implemented in the code.  (oops)

2.  Adding a "here" option that can be used in place of X and Z coordinates for "map" and "m" commands.  The option would use the player's location as the coordinates.

3.  Moving command information window to right side of screen so it does not conflict with the new chat window.

Any suggestions or requests would be welcome.

edit:  I'm also curious about translating it to other languages, to make it a little easier for non English speakers to use.

Edited by Indomitus