Sign in to follow this  
Indomitus

Container Capacity

I've noticed that if we try to spawn into a container that is already full, the new items will spawn on the ground under the container.

Could we get a way to see the total number of slots in a container, and possibly also a way to see the available slots?  It would help avoid some messy situations.  All we really need is 1 or 2 tiles that return the count.

edit:

Also, a way to tell if an entity IS a container would be useful, especially if we're looking at items in a player's inventory.

Edited by Indomitus

20 minutes ago, RedEagle_P1. said:

What are you shooting for, just out of curiosity? 

My immediate use case:  I'm scaling down the Scavenger Hunt game idea I told you about ages ago (wouldn't be surprised if you don't remember) to something suitable for mobile.  That means, among other things, I need to streamline the bajeezus out of the code.  One thing the game has to do is manage the contents of a lot of containers of varying size across the play area, because I'm going to have "found" items respawning at certain intervals from a queue.  I have a strategy I can use to track the available space, but it's kind of painful in terms of code complexity and size.  I can already get the number of occupied slots in a container.  If I could get the total number of slots and subtract from that, or just directly get the available slots, it would save a ton of memory and scripting overhead.

The full scale version of the game works fine, by the way, it's just really big.

Beyond that specific use, it's a generally useful piece of information for anyone building a game that involves spawning into containers.  If you don't watch the container's capacity, the items end up spawning on the ground under it or not spawning at all.

On 9/28/2019 at 10:06 AM, Indomitus said:

Also, a way to tell if an entity IS a container would be useful, especially if we're looking at items in a player's inventory.

And just to reply to myself for the sake of an answer to this one:  An Event Listener can watch for Containers, and trigger a Label and/or Entity Storage to be attached on their Create event.  This one's already implemented.