kimbuck

Remember when?

..when you arrived  in your undies on  an island, and have to craft  some basic stuff yo make fire  and to survive the first night  without starving, freezing  or being eaten?  The island  had  some resources  for you to craft decent weapons, or  some thoughtful players  made a help centre to  get you started.  There was lag and there were bugs  but the  game was playable.   just, in some  cases...

your choice was  either to make a base for safety on that island ..or   look for another... but to do that you had to actually  explore! The islands were random in  size and placement ...you knew  desert  biomes  usually had  copper and  sulfur ... temperate  coal  and  saltpeter,   tropical  copper  coal and sometimes   sulfur ..... all had some  iron.and  clay  somewhere.   And inside the caves?    that was a surprise.

Yes there were glitches ...flying  sharks,  invisible  boats and  horses , and  falling through the earth  - but there was talk of them being  fixed

Then came the  improvements...lots of additional stuff, different  island  shapes ...and talk of  fixing  the  flying sharks, invisible ships and  horses and falling trough the earth.

And  we then  came to the  great silence.  Several updates  that   really  went  nowhere.  more  shiny  things   but the  horses and  ships  still went  invisible .. the sharks were  hidden away, ( problem there temp, solved!) and you could  still fall through the  earth and  die.

We had  players  who  had  dedicated servers   who  managed to script things so that their  games  had  some form of  griefer  control and enhancement ... there were bugs  but the game was fun, with lots of  explore.

Then the big  release.  We no longer had  pvte dedicated servers so all the   work done by some players  was useless. ( those playres went  elsewhere feeling like they had been shafted!)       We got heaps of pretty shiny  things ..but  still have invisible ships,  horses and you can still fall through the earth.

And  explore ?   where has it  gone?  you start out on the same  shape island..which  soon depletes of  basic  stuff so you cannot leave  and  eventually die.  The  other islands  are in the same place and  all the  same, so if you know where the iron is ..you get there asap, plunder it  and  then  no one  else can get ahead  in the game

there's no real explore anymore ...only the npc's  and the position on the  islands of the ores   and resources  change ... well kinda ..  There's  added "excitement" of  pvp  style   npc's and  extra  predators, but  did we really  want that?   we got it regardless , along with  invisible ships, horses and falling through the earth.

But if you like to play  gameboy  stuff and  walk around with your  nose pointed at your  mobile device ..   and like  roleplay, then  the  game is ok for you

But if  you are more mature,  want  social activity in MP  to explore and  create....    Ylands has  currently  ignored you.  They might be adding  stuff later, but   ? ... but then we also still have  ships and  horses that  can go invisible  and  earth like  quicksand in places.

Of  course   there will be rebuttals to these comments, but  look at the facts ..there are some of us that were here from the beginning,  saw the  promise and liked what was "to come" and have  thousands of  hours  gameplay.   

Its not the same game any more. for many, its not  what they  expected or  wanted.

a lot of   my friends here  have  moved on through  frustration..

Will  it  improve?   

Time for a rethink,  guys ... 

• Upvote 2

I haven't played Ylands in a very long time (over a year) and haven't been active in the community for even longer. This post struck me deep. I really do miss those old golden days.

I've just recently tried picking Ylands up again and have somewhat enjoyed myself in Exploration but it certainly doesn't give me the same feeling as it used to. I miss the old Main Menu in it's simplicity, even the flying sharks to an extent! More for nostalgia's sake I think haha

I really don't like how the islands are so uniformly placed on the map and how close they are to spawn that you can see them. Definitely ruins the thrill of setting sail into the nothingness hoping to come across a new island.

• Thanks 1