Jump to content
  • 0
Indomitus

RESOLVED [YLD-22983] Visual difference between Editor test mode and Exported game

Question

I opened the Editor to work on my Wacky Painters game and noticed that when I ran it as a test, it looked TERRIBLE.  Objects were not spawning at their proper rotation (although it's specified in the script, and Get Rotation would report the intended values).  Also exterior light was flooding into what is essentially a completely enclosed room.  It makes it extremely difficult to do visual design on a game.

Editor testing mode:

The Steel Rods being used as pixels on the wall are spawned at the wrong rotation, and light is pouring in through the ceiling.

Ylands_200324_225521.thumb.png.f09afa455a2150c5caced1ec83db5f5b.png

 

Exported (and what it should look like so far):

With no changes to the code at all.

Ylands_200324_225620.thumb.png.6000fd73778118448ce1f5a72212fd21.png

 

output_log.txt

output_log_clean.txt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 replies to this bug / suggestion

Recommended Posts

  • 0

In the new version, you can run a test that allows you to see what your game will look like on mobile platforms. It's possible you had that mobile mode enabled so everything scaled down to what mobile users will see, you can change it in the Test menu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

So yeah, it's probably because you have the test set to mobile. Try putting it on PC and see if that works 🤔

2020-03-25_10h07_38.png

But anyway please send us the .yland file and we'll check, why the rods are rotating in mobile mode, because that shouldn't happen either 😁

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, TomasGestinger said:

In the new version, you can run a test that allows you to see what your game will look like on mobile platforms. It's possible you had that mobile mode enabled so everything scaled down to what mobile users will see, you can change it in the Test menu.

I guess that makes sense.  Then what would be a good way to make it look at least mostly right for mobile users?

(And I'll see about sending the scenario this evening after work.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Here's the scenario.  Apart from adapting it to new script and scenario options in v1.2, the scripting is basically done.  I'm not quite satisfied with the visual design, but if I had to let it go as is, I don't think I'd be too upset.

I added blocks above the ceiling to block some of the nasty lighting artifacts in Mobile mode.  Not the best method, but it's quick, and it made it look a little better.

 

WACKY PAINTERS.zip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

So the way the wall looks is unfortunately as it should look, because the material you used has less polygons in the mobile version because of performance optimizations 😔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
14 minutes ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

So the way the wall looks is unfortunately as it should look, because the material you used has less polygons in the mobile version because of performance optimizations 😔

Hm.  Well, I'll look into other possibilities then.  I really want this one to look decent on both platforms.  (And I can keep that in mind for other mini-game ideas I attempt.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×