Sign in to follow this  
jchob

Kids learning

Hello all. 

Has anyone tried to get their kids into visual scripting editor? 

As we know, our ylands is very fun and VS can bring "quick" results they can play. I'm a fan of programming and game development, but I've never got serious into it (stupid life choices). 

The only problem is we are Portuguese and my nephew is still learning the basics of English. He is 9 years old and I think his brain is ready to take this step. 

So, I thought I could try adventuring him into English learning + game making. 

I don't really have too much patient to teach someone, but sometimes we need to make life sacrifices prior to the others :)

If anyone has tried getting their kids or any professor that can point me how to go from here, not overwhelming the kid with to much information. 

See y'all around. 

Edited by jchob
  • Like 1

Hello @jchob, I'm a children animator and I use Ylands in my recreation center to bring fun for some "geeks teenagers" and to start I use the basic tuto of @Adam Snellgrove, it's a good way to enter in the editor. After that we try to creat our own creations and animated some little things like custom doors etc..

All 14 vidéos are in this playlist .  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bob Salvador said:

Hello @jchob, I'm a children animator and I use Ylands in my recreation center to bring fun for some "geeks teenagers" and to start I use the basic tuto of @Adam Snellgrove, it's a good way to enter in the editor. After that we try to creat our own creations and animated some little things like custom doors etc..

All 14 vidéos are in this playlist .  

Thank you for your answer.

I really believe ylands editor is a good platform to introduce kids into programming world and scripters should try to teach kids with this amazing game. 

I have a notebook on shelf collecting dust. I will try to revive it and then try to teach my nephew. Starting at explore mode and then move him into scripting. 

Programming is required lot in real life, not only to make games, but to make anything. I think this is a good skill for him to learn. He already beats me up on some card games and board games. 

Again, thank you @Bob Salvador :)

Edited by jchob
  • Like 2