Sign in to follow this  
Fompster

Pixel Art

Hey all,

With the new update the devs have added DataSets which allows you to import csv files. This means we can now import our own data... like the color of every pixel in an image :P

So what I did is create a Python script where I go through every pixel in an image and place that as a RGB entry on a spreadsheet. I then imported this sheet using the new logic. Now to convert it into a physical Ylands I looped over every entry, spawned in a block and painted it. Quite simple.

However, I messed up somewhere and now all of my images are printed upside down. Probably won't get round to fixing that either ?

image.png.5c1e237f1fd9d0f0f45bb8a4bfb7cc12.pngimage.thumb.png.2114c0891bf37d4fd359d228bfcccd51.png

Unfortunately these "HD" Ylands pictures are not very usable since they are made up from a massive amount of entities, I have encountered a bit of corruption when trying to print out a 1920x1080 res image and the time to import all the data is also quite long. Most of the time my machine cant even handle selecting all the cubes and is constantly standing on the brink of death. Although if you use an image with a smaller resolution then you could potentially make yourself a nice museum or if you use larger blocks for the canvas then you could make some distant buildings to make your world seem fuller.

It would be great if anyone has any suggestions on how to make it even more Ylands friendly!

• Like 9

Datasets were already in the game before the 1.5 update though. Did something change with the new update?

Edited by Valour4Eva
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Valour4Eva said:

Datasets were already in the game before the 1.5 update though. Did something change with the new update?

Ive been away from the game for a while so the last 3 updates or so are just completely new to me :P

• Like 1

If you are able to weld the pixel cubes after you color them, it should be more server-friendly. Maybe turning off collisions for the weld too. ?

I was trying to do something with coloring lots of entities and my computer wasn't too happy either. Someone recommended coloring them in chunks so the game didn't have to process so much at the same time. 

The art looks fantastic. I hope you are able to get it to work how you want it to. :) 

• Like 1

On 12/18/2020 at 1:34 PM, ocnoglittle said:

If you are able to weld the pixel cubes after you color them, it should be more server-friendly. Maybe turning off collisions for the weld too.

I left my computer on for over half a hour trying to weld those blocks with no luck, but in Yland's defense it was a large chunk which I selected ?

On 12/18/2020 at 1:34 PM, ocnoglittle said:

The art looks fantastic. I hope you are able to get it to work how you want it to. :) 

I cant take credit for the art, but thanks! :P