Sign in to follow this  
Hunter-Over-Fire

Higher-Level Island and Items

Question

Sometimes the key features about venturing across the ocean are the items. Another being the game progression. I want it to be challenging to get to endgame status, and not just a 20 minute adventure. Here are some of my ideas on how the game could be more challenging, aswell as some cool Item Ideas.

1> Higher Island Levels

The max island level is 3, a total increase in difficulty compared to level 1 or 2, but even then it's too easy to overcome. Once the player has access to firearms and ammo, not even the strongest of foes stand in their way, and guns and ammo can be achieved relatively quickly. So one of my fixes for this is to add higher level Islands. I want to fear the islands I visit, and not to step foot on a level 3 island expecting another vacation.

2> Items

There is an absolute mass of items in the game, ranging from steam-punky guns and armor to French Fries. If harder level island are a possibility, then stronger armor and weapons should certainly be aswell. Most people would suggest adding more armor and weapon Items, which I totally agree with, but another way of doing things could be upgrading armor and weapons one way or another. Some people want to empower their armor and weapons, rather than swap them out. How can an Ylander keep their classiness if they have to swap it constantly? In order to keep people from generating game-breakingly strong armor and weapons, perhaps you may add limitations to how many time they can be upgraded? Another concept would be specialized items that can buff the player, much like a potion, apon use. Maybe magical items and magic could finally be a thing?

This was a really short and low-quality one. It's literally 1am and I'm bogging down. My personal favorite here is the higher level Islands rather than the cool Item concepts, 'cause I need something to test my Thick Toms on. Also, I'd like a more challenging expedition.

Edited by Hunter-Over-Fire
Fixing so things
  • Upvote 1

3 replies to this bug / suggestion

Island Difficulty)

I don't think the issue is the stats but rather the monsters. They are very easy and predictable, even the strongest monster can be killed by abusing position. They need to make enemies more unpredictable, smarter and force the player to fight enemies "fairly".

Items)

I think the issue is that many "essential" items overlap in terms of usage which makes build progression confusing. We don't need 30 different weapons, we need 5 different weapons with clear strengths/weaknesses. Minecraft did this in an excellent way by providing tiers (stone, iron, diamond, etc) for pickaxe, swords, etc.

I think we should downsize all items in general and try to simplify the games core such as getting crafting stations going, etc. Only after providing the player challenging options (NO GATCHA) if they want to exceed those limitations but making them "worth it". For example, if the player wants to upgrade their gun they need to upgrade their crafting station by gathering unique items found from treasure maps, killing bosses, etc. Giving tier upgrades seems a much simpler way to do this rather than creating 30 unique weapons that are extremely similar imo.

• Upvote 1

Waiting for the day the devs make monsters jump, climb trees and fly and swim.....then it's going to be a nice challenge.

Edited by spiritchaser28

3 hours ago, spiritchaser28 said:

Waiting for the day the devs make monsters jump, climb trees and fly and swim.....then it's going to be a nice challenge.

That would be harsh, but I'm totally on-board with it. I recently acquired alot of explosives and would like to throw them at something in order to defend myself, rather than launch them at helpless honey badgers for fun, you know?

• Haha 1