Deadeye_Rob

Motorised Boats (& Linking Boats to Ships)

Question

Hi guys!

I’ve been thinking! We have small-scale boats and rafts that lose their value early on when progressing through the game.

I think we can do better here. Considering that ship designs are getting more detailed as people grow more experienced, some ships cannot effectively get close to an island shore without a suitable dockside built.

I’d like the ability to slave a boat/raft to a ship. Allowing me to make landfall from my main ship without running it aground.

Furthermore, I’d like to see some more diverse boat designs. Perhaps some incorporating an engine of sorts?

Let me know what you guys think! :)  

• Like 8

2 replies to this bug / suggestion

9 hours ago, Deadeye_Rob said:

Furthermore, I’d like to see some more diverse boat designs. Perhaps some incorporating an engine of sorts?

I'm still up for the idea of Zircornium Engines. It's one of those materials that isn't used for much but the few things it is used for is high quality. Zirconium engines could last longer, maybe be a bit faster, and take up slightly less space. You could have both Zirconium steam and zirconium Ylandium styles.  I think I understand where you are going with this though....a whole new small boat design with built in engines is intriguing.

In regards to small boats being slaved to a ship. I have seen quite a few people try methods in multiplayer....some do not work at all, and others work....sort of....the ones that work involve dragging the boat along with many blocks underwater and doors that keep the boat inside......but it creates a lot of lag and causes some steering isues (and also gets stuck a lot in shallow waters on older style maps). 

It would be a nice idea to integrate some small lever that acts as a some sort of chain pulley that would "snap" a small boat into place somewhere on the ship, and "Unsnap" it as needed. Sort of a "docking bay" type of asset. Perhaps it could involve a detection radius for small boats within a close proximity of the ship, and each space required for small boat storage could be of some universal size. Maybe the same sort of space needed for things like charging stations? Maybe slightly smaller. I would think it could look like tie down life rafts that you see on the sides of cruise ships, etc.  Better yet we could have a brand new type of boat that only works with ships. A "lifeboat" type of boat or small motorized ferry rafts.

I guess the most difficult thing about the idea is it involves having a few vehicles sort of integrating with each other.....A summoning system within a summoning system so to speak.....which I think is something that can be done easily but does require more actual storage space within the game and the cloud.

Anyhow I am truly looking forward to the next update and am hoping it will add some unique assets for ship designs.

lifeboat.jpg

Edited by spiritchaser28
  • Like 2

an upgrade from the steam boat. maybe we can have a diesel boat or ylandium boat, bigger, faster and more to build with

I have fully exhausted the steam boat build and have grown to wanting more from boat building. The boat building and surviving has always been my favorite part of this game, aside some the terraforming
With the maps becoming larger it takes forever to get anywhere with the steam boat on max engines. 

• Upvote 1