Sign in to follow this  
DrunkenAlbatross

Unable to dig near water

Me and a bunch of friends jumped back into the game today, we haven't played since release but i'm sure that back then we were able to dig waterways by channeling into the sea, but now its like there is a solid wall when we reach the water line.

Is this a bug, or have they removed at feature that was present at launch? 

4 hours ago, DrunkenAlbatross said:

Me and a bunch of friends jumped back into the game today, we haven't played since release but i'm sure that back then we were able to dig waterways by channeling into the sea, but now its like there is a solid wall when we reach the water line.

Is this a bug, or have they removed at feature that was present at launch? 

You can still dig under the water, but cannot modify the surface of the ocean floor. If you are at the coast simply dig down and go under the ocean that way. They  stopped allowing the modifcation of the ocean floor because it sometimes affected the surface of the water. Hopefully we will be able to modify the ocean floor again soon

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, DrunkenAlbatross said:

But the fun thing was the water physics that were sorta realistic, why would they take a step  back instead of fixing the issue.

They were nice physics until you dug underneath and a hole appeared in the surface of the water for no reason....at that point the water didn't look realistic at all and you had areas where you were walking instead of swimming in the water, as well as breathing under the water without scuba gear or potions.  I loved modifying underwater as well and had some ideas for bases.....but I think it's going to have to wait until they figure out how to introduce airlocks....I'm thinking one possibility is they could use something similar to the recent programming they introduced to keep the rain and weather effects out of houses and caves and the inside of ships......One step at a time I suppose. The next update will have a lot to do with water and ships so we will see what the future brings.

• Like 1

A much missed feature this game had, it also caused alot of greifing too from what I remember.
you could drain a portion of the ocean into an underground cave.  make hidden underground lakes. at the cost of uneven surface water levels in an area. if you just made a massive hole, the lowering levels totally worked. It looked fantastic with all the waterfalls it would create. you could've lost ships this way also if you hadn't locked down tight.  something of the Past though!
You could make homemade islands with connecting tunnels and caves ( what's not cool about that). then have someone come flood it all and place dirt like crazy🤣😭 

Fun times!

1 hour ago, 6Cowa6Bunga6 said:

A much missed feature this game had, it also caused alot of greifing too from what I remember.
you could drain a portion of the ocean into an underground cave.  make hidden underground lakes. at the cost of uneven surface water levels in an area. if you just made a massive hole, the lowering levels totally worked. It looked fantastic with all the waterfalls it would create. you could've lost ships this way also if you hadn't locked down tight.  something of the Past though!
You could make homemade islands with connecting tunnels and caves ( what's not cool about that). then have someone come flood it all and place dirt like crazy🤣😭 

Fun times!

This must have been way before my time. When I started playing a couple years ago the water didn't do all that.

On 2/27/2022 at 11:03 PM, spiritchaser28 said:

his must have been way before my time. When I started playing a couple years ago the water didn't do all that.

Ya, it caused atlot of problems with griefing and werid water levels. so it got removed to beta or something with the hope it would get fixed. 

It never did

On 1/26/2022 at 7:47 AM, DrunkenAlbatross said:

But the fun thing was the water physics that were sorta realistic, why would they take a step  back instead of fixing the issue.

Because griefers could mess up a map beyond repair.