handofthesly

Diving Suggestions

Question

I can see others have posted similar requests but I thought I'd add my suggestions too.

Diving down is too slow, it's more like free floating down. If the Heavy diving boots allowed you to sink quicker then that would give more incentive to craft them and use them. Otherwise we need to be able to actually actively swim/paddle downwards using flippers. We can't oxygen boost up or down either. It can take half the tank to reach the sea floor and if you're unlucky and there's no oxygen coral nearby then you have to go straight back up again.

Shark repellent flare duration is much too short, they need to last longer. It is cheap to make which is good but it takes way too long to activate them, they should activate instantly. It would also be great if you could perform other tasks like mining, collecting fish/oxygen etc without it canceling the flare, almost need a second hand slot or something that would allow this. Otherwise the ability to drop them while you swim so that they continue to burn whilst you work.

The shark repellent beacon is also kind of useless unless you have an underwater base which isn't really possible. I understand it can be attached to boats but the area of effect is too small for that to be of any use when you are 200m underwater. It needs to be equipable and able to be carried around underwater and easily portable, at the moment you need a demolition hammer to break it into it's individual components. I realise this might make it overpowered but it already is quite expensive to make.

Death chests ideally should float on the water. It can very tedious and annoying to have to retrieve it. Especially if you died during underwater cave exploring and lost your way.

Oxygen harvester should allow you to tether to it with a hose for a continuous oxygen supply so you can swim within a set distance without needing to stop and go back to the harvester. Maybe make the heavy diving helmet into an actual diving bell that hooks up to the oxygenator. Another option would be to allow the swapping of oxygen tanks underwater or the ability to drink potions underwater but the diving bell/oxygenator combo provides an incentive to craft and use those items.

Anemone Goo is always half buried and extremely difficult to find. I thoroughly searched a massive Anemone Forest to find only 2 pieces. Maybe an easy fix is to make the model slightly taller so it's not always half buried.

It is really difficult to find specific underwater biomes sometimes. Just recently I spent hours sailing around for an Anemone Forest and managed to find only one very small patch of it that didn't even have 1 piece of Anemone Goo. Maybe I was just unlucky with that map but it would be handy for there to be a feature to upgrade the mapping tool to allow for a larger area to be mapped quicker while you're sailing around. Maybe if you've crafted and placed the sonar and depth gauge on your ship then it gives a boost and clears the fog off the map in a larger area.

• Upvote 1

2 replies to this bug / suggestion

On 6/7/2022 at 2:21 AM, handofthesly said:

I can see others have posted similar requests but I thought I'd add my suggestions too.

Diving down is too slow, it's more like free floating down. If the Heavy diving boots allowed you to sink quicker then that would give more incentive to craft them and use them. Otherwise we need to be able to actually actively swim/paddle downwards using flippers. We can't oxygen boost up or down either. It can take half the tank to reach the sea floor and if you're unlucky and there's no oxygen coral nearby then you have to go straight back up again.

Shark repellent flare duration is much too short, they need to last longer. It is cheap to make which is good but it takes way too long to activate them, they should activate instantly. It would also be great if you could perform other tasks like mining, collecting fish/oxygen etc without it canceling the flare, almost need a second hand slot or something that would allow this. Otherwise the ability to drop them while you swim so that they continue to burn whilst you work.

The shark repellent beacon is also kind of useless unless you have an underwater base which isn't really possible. I understand it can be attached to boats but the area of effect is too small for that to be of any use when you are 200m underwater. It needs to be equipable and able to be carried around underwater and easily portable, at the moment you need a demolition hammer to break it into it's individual components. I realise this might make it overpowered but it already is quite expensive to make.

Death chests ideally should float on the water. It can very tedious and annoying to have to retrieve it. Especially if you died during underwater cave exploring and lost your way.

Oxygen harvester should allow you to tether to it with a hose for a continuous oxygen supply so you can swim within a set distance without needing to stop and go back to the harvester. Maybe make the heavy diving helmet into an actual diving bell that hooks up to the oxygenator. Another option would be to allow the swapping of oxygen tanks underwater or the ability to drink potions underwater but the diving bell/oxygenator combo provides an incentive to craft and use those items.

Anemone Goo is always half buried and extremely difficult to find. I thoroughly searched a massive Anemone Forest to find only 2 pieces. Maybe an easy fix is to make the model slightly taller so it's not always half buried.

It is really difficult to find specific underwater biomes sometimes. Just recently I spent hours sailing around for an Anemone Forest and managed to find only one very small patch of it that didn't even have 1 piece of Anemone Goo. Maybe I was just unlucky with that map but it would be handy for there to be a feature to upgrade the mapping tool to allow for a larger area to be mapped quicker while you're sailing around. Maybe if you've crafted and placed the sonar and depth gauge on your ship then it gives a boost and clears the fog off the map in a larger area.

I believe most these ideas are being addressed in the next update