Sign in to follow this  
Igor Q.

Shapes Tool - Pixel Cube

Question

Hello

Could you guys implement the "Pixel Cube" to the list of objects we can use for the Shapes Tool?

image.png.8753907035fdf30efa6b2c5208f198a3.png

Most of the time, I use the Shapes Tool to get very, VERY specific shapes and I can't use big blocks such as Bamboo to get the shape I want.

image.thumb.png.c7be7230143a1d18ed04d13dd77be9e1.png

If we can also have the option of making spheres, that would also be extremely helpful. 

Thank you!

• Upvote 2

6 replies to this bug / suggestion

38 minutes ago, Igor Q. said:

If we can also have the option of making spheres, that would also be extremely helpful. 

I doubt they will implement pixel cubes in the shapes tool, but I am all for making spheres with it.

1 minute ago, spiritchaser28 said:

I doubt they will implement pixel cubes in the shapes tool, but I am all for making spheres with it.

Why?

It's essentially the same code, scaled to a small size.

Edited by Igor Q.

I think some players may be frustrated at waiting for thousands of them to load if they build something too big with the pixel cube. I know Mello has mentioned waiting hours for some of his builds to load. Not all of them have to do with the pixel cubes (Sometimes he just builds huge things)....but if it were used in basic shapes I could imagine people using hundreds of thousands of pixel cubes to make a mid sized shape. (Like the one you have pictured above)

I thought maybe it would be a good idea to use pixel cubes in blueprints but was given a fast answer from the devs "No"   Then I suggested maybe a limit to the amount of pixel cubes in blueprints.....Not sure if they are tossing that idea around or not. I personally like to use them as little buttons and small designs.....I guess we can wait and see if they figure out a way to speed up the loading time on collisions in the future.

I mean, whenever I use pixel cubes, I use them exclusively with a weld, so I don't really see how it can be problematic. Let the user destroy his own computer if he really wants to! 😂

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Igor Q. said:

I mean, whenever I use pixel cubes, I use them exclusively with a weld, so I don't really see how it can be problematic. Let the user destroy his own computer if he really wants to! 😂

Well yeah you understand collisions and how welds work because you've been playing a while. New players however might get turned off if their computer crashes when they try to make something with 4 million pixel cubes. I know I crashed several times when I first started messing with the game and with editor, but I'm patient like you are. Lots of players don't have patience so I'm guessing that's why the pixel cubes aren't included in the basic shapes. @Mello1223 has made some crazy things out of thousands of fence posts and other smaller entities, but he also has experience and patience. I've witnessed him walk away from his computer for several hours while he waits for something to load in editor, and he has a mid range computer. I personally have a low end laptop that initially only had 4 gb ram...it ran some of the games fine but crashed a lot until I upgraded the RAM to 16 gb.....and even now some things can lag a bit if I make something with too many collisions. Welding helps but it's not useful for blueprint builds which is what I mostly make.

• Haha 1

I'm almost sure the pixel cube won't will be add to the shape tool...if you remember the player named sanaheho, she created a robotic dragon for the first contest, which was created largely from pixel cubes.she couldn't load her composition to the workshop, so she first asked me to try it, I didn't even succeed ....in the end, the developers had to load it, and according to what Adam wrote to me, it take few hours :D ...
second example: when I started creating objects from 3d models, I tried to weld 200,000 pixel cubes into one entity... the result will probably not surprise anyone. failure :D:D only when I created 5 separate welded entities, it worked, but it still took me almost two hours.. then I found for loading , helps a lot when the blocks do not overlap. now I can do it in half an hour since the creation of the object with 200,000 pixel cubes to object from 5 welded entities (pixel cubes amount +/- 150 000 ) ... still lot of time... :(