Deadeye_Rob

Suggestion: Underwater Habitation

Question

Hi guys!

With 2023 coming to a close I must say it's been a blast playing Ylands again and I'd like to leave a suggestion that could make 2024 a year of further awesomeness!

It's fair to say that Ylands is a nautical game, and as such a large percentage of maps are ocean. Whilst there has been great strides to diversify and populate the ocean floor, there is still limited reasons to dive down there for prolonged periods of time. With this in mind, I would like to propose adding the ability to build air-tight structures under the waves! I am aware of the difficulties this would pose regarding water physics but I am confident that with some already existing features, this could be achieved. So how can we possibly build a working airtight colony on the sea floor?

Water Physics - Air Tight Spaces

The first major issue is how to build and define an airtight space? What we really need to do is find a way to create an area where the 'Lung Capacity', 'swimming', underwater visuals and 'lack of gravity' no longer apply. Once we have the ability to crate a cube or sphere where this effect can be applied, then we can work on what conditions would need to be met in order to spawn this area.

This means that there would be no dramatic overhaul of the current water physics and we would be able to create habitable spaces under the water!

Structures - Building a Base

So how do we build something that's suitable to create our Airtight Space? Can we build an enclosed structure from the conventional blocks already avaliable to us or do we need more purpose-built modular items (eg, corridors, halls etc.).

We also need to consider structures with a purpose such as airlocks and windows, how do we account for their operation and what powers them?

Suggestion summary

So Id like to see is the ability to tackle a truly hard challenge - the conquest of the ocean floor. Battling the naturally harsh environment and even harsher wildlife, creating a self-sufficient base under the waves would be a truly inspiring achievement which would rejuvenate Ylands into the next year.

Players who decide to colonise the ocean floor would be able to exploit the seabed for rare minerals and establish unique farms that would be unavailable to surface dwellers.

But beware, there are significant dangers presented to living under the sea. Complex bases require a stable power supply (Ylandium/steam/geothermal). Base oxygen supply could also be woven into the experience, making survival an even greater challenge. Lets not forget the local intelligent life also! The Atlantians wont take kindly to Ylanders encroaching into their domain (Lore development, raids)

A screenshot of an underwater city from the game Anno 2070.

*Screenshot of Anno 2070. A game where you can colonise the ocean floor.

I'd be grateful to hear any feedback from both developers and the community to see if this suggestion could 'Hold Water'!

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

3 replies to this bug / suggestion

6 hours ago, handofthesly said:

This would be epic! It would enable underwater tunnels between ylands for easy travel via car. 

this is possible now :)

4 minutes ago, Mello1223 said:

this is possible now :)

Yes, underground. But I mean having cool glass tunnels through the water!

• Upvote 1