GoblinGirl

Computer shutting down during start/gameplay

Question

Per Mailuki's request, I am opening a new thread on here based on what I had submitted on the Steam discussions.  I'm going to copy and paste what I had and then add the information requested.

"My husband and I bought 2 copies of this game today.  The first time I tried to play the game, I tried the multiplayer option.  I was prompted to make a character, give my world a name and start the game.  Upon starting the game, my computer completely powered down on its own.

I restarted my computer, updated my Adobe Flash, just in case, and tried again.  This time I chose single player, made a new character, named my world and then in the multiplayer tab I opted for a two player game with password protection.  My husband and I were able to play until the game's nighttime.  It was then that my computer completely powered down again.

I've never had my computer do this before.  In fact, I'm not sure me or my husband have ever encountered our computers shutting down like this.  Here is some of my computer info."

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 12/6/2017, 19:53:40
   Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_ldr.170427-1518)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MSI
       System Model: MS-7640
               BIOS: Default System BIOS
          Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor            (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
             Memory: 32768MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 32768MB RAM
          Page File: 3225MB used, 62306MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Mailuki then responded with "

Please open a thread in our forum with the following files: output_log and output_log_clean, you can find them in the directory \Program Files(86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ylands\Ylands_Data and your DxDiag report.

Our forum is here: https://ylands.com/community/forum/14-bugs-technical-issues/ "

I attached the additional information so hope that works!

output_log.txt

output_log_clean.txt

6 replies to this bug / suggestion

Could also be the graphics card not able to handle  the  graphics,  and is  overheating. I don't  see it mentioned there? is it  inbuilt?

My girlfriend has been having a somewhat similar issue. Her computer doesn't shut down entirely, but the screen goes completely black and she is unable to do anything but a hard shutdown even though the game sounds are still playing. My guess was that the game is overheating her graphics card so that it stops working, but the weird thing is that it seems to affect specific save files permanently once it happens. She can start a new world and play fine for a while, but once this happens in a save for the first time, it will then happen again as soon as she enters that world, every time, which doesn't seem to fit with overheating.

Best of luck solving this, GoblinGirl. Hope you're able to enjoy this game with your partner.

If  she has a desktop PC,  ensure all ventilation slots are dust   free...and that the tower is  in a well ventilated area.  You could  try placing a desk fan  nearby to  force cooler air  into the machine vents  slots.

If its a laptop, or  tablet,  try  placing something like a  couple of   pencils  ..or  thin wooden slats to  raise it off the surface its on .. to allow  ventilation underneath.

here  are the  min specs  they  suggest for  running Ylands:

Minimum
Operating system: Windows 7/8/8.1/10 (64-bit Operating System Required)
Processor: Intel Core i3-4160 @ 3.60GHz processor
Memory: 4GB RAM
Graphics Card: discrete DirectX 11 GPU with at least 1GB of VRAM
DirectX: 11
Hard Drive Space: 500 MB
Recommended
Operating system: Windows 7/8/8.1/10 (64-bit Operating System Required)
Processor: Intel Core i5-4690K @ 3.50GHz processor
Memory: 8GB RAM
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
DirectX: 11
Hard Drive Space: 500 MB
Edited by kimbuck
To lazy to initially use spellchecker

Thanks to all that have commented so far.  To answer some of the questions:

My graphics is not inbuilt.  It's an Nvidia GE Force 970

I'm pretty sure I have more than the min specs required for the game with 32 GB of Ram and 358 GB of Free Hard Drive Space.

My husband doesn't think it's the GPU overheating but we switched out the power supply.  Before it was 750W and now I have 1200W installed.  I played it with the new power supply last night and I didn't experience the computer shutting down.  Maybe we'll play again tonight to see if that is consistent.  Perhaps a stronger power supply was all that was needed, but considering I play a lot of games, is it normal for a game like Ylands to make a computer behave like that?  I don't want to mention the games I've played, but anyone can see my Steam profile to know what I play and how the game contents would compare to YLands.  If nothing else, perhaps my problem might help the developers take a look to see what would cause  certain power supplies to be stressed.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, GoblinGirl said:

Thanks to all that have commented so far.  To answer some of the questions:

My graphics is not inbuilt.  It's an Nvidia GE Force 970

I'm pretty sure I have more than the min specs required for the game with 32 GB of Ram and 358 GB of Free Hard Drive Space.

My husband doesn't think it's the GPU overheating but we switched out the power supply.  Before it was 750W and now I have 1200W installed.  I played it with the new power supply last night and I didn't experience the computer shutting down.  Maybe we'll play again tonight to see if that is consistent.  Perhaps a stronger power supply was all that was needed, but considering I play a lot of games, is it normal for a game like Ylands to make a computer behave like that?  I don't want to mention the games I've played, but anyone can see my Steam profile to know what I play and how the game contents would compare to YLands.  If nothing else, perhaps my problem might help the developers take a look to see what would cause  certain power supplies to be stressed.

Hi there!

750w should be more than sufficient for your setup, unless you have multiple disk drives or other devices consuming power?

GPU - approx 177.81W under gaming load

CPU - approx 125W under load

RAM - approx 2.5W per stick

It seems likely that if the issue stopped on changing your PSU, that the original PSU had become faulty, and showing its effects when enough power was being drawn through it (on starting the graphics in the game)?

Second to this, I would have gone with an overheating CPU or GPU as the primary cause of a random system switch off (internal thermostat triggers this to protect the system).

Overheating is fairly simple to fix, however, would require opening up your device, dependent on if you are referring to a tower PC or a laptop, this could be fairly straight forward, or a tad more complicated!

Plenty of YouTube videos on how-to's for this sort of thing, the primary concerns are the heat cooling systems - the fans and the heat sinks.

Thermal grease / heat paste might need to be re-applied to the CPU, this is likely the most difficult task in the process, however, in general, you can just get in there and clear out all the gunk and accumulated dust-wads that are likely blocking up your fans and heat sinks!

Doing this should greatly improve your CPU's potential and life-span.

If you are using a laptop, you could invest in a coolant pad, that attaches via USB and has fans inside it - you sit your laptop on it, saves your legs getting hot, and efficiently cools the laptop.

Good luck!

Edited by John - NEXFER
  • Thanks 1