OpticalOctave

New player just getting in to the game.

4 minutes ago, OpticalOctave said:

I am liking it thus far, but I am worried finding other Yslands is going to be difficult. 

Its  a lot  easier than  you think

To  help,  craft a map ...you need to make paper  and then craft a pencil.  Place the  map in the  dynamic slots  and it will record where you are as you explore.

The craft  your  ship   size is  up to you ..  Put on it  some  storage  containers, and food,  arm yourself and look to see where the  birds  overhead are heading.   

Sail forth  intrepid   brave explorer.. and  find plunder to  bring back :D

6 minutes ago, kimbuck said:

Sail forth  intrepid   brave explorer.. and  find plunder to  bring back :D

Thank you for the encouraging words, and the tip! A map is a game changer.

Do you happen to know if I can make it so I can respawn on my bedrolls I put down? I can't get it work.

Thanks again! 

Hi and welcome to the forums, no there is no "respawn beacon" yet, it is being worked on, and they made it possible to spawn on the Yland you died (after going on the sea searching for other Ylands). 

4 hours ago, OpticalOctave said:

Thank you for the encouraging words, and the tip! A map is a game changer.

Do you happen to know if I can make it so I can respawn on my bedrolls I put down? I can't get it work.

Thanks again! 

Optical ..note where you respawn and after you have a secure base, return to that place and put a container there..with a  marker ( a lantern   or flag )  and put in that container  some weapons  food  clothes etc  you will need to survive should a bear  wolf or other fate encounters you. If you can craft a small boat,  moor it near there so you can use it to travel back to your base avoiding  land predators. Sharks  are a different  worry:D

When you craft weapons   always  craft 2 of each and leave one  at your base as a back up. A Saber  or sword are more effective in close  up  battles with wolves and pumas. Avid  bears... until you have long range weapons

Hi there, I too am new and I have read a lot of the forum posts before getting into serious building.  I am a long time player of games such as Minecraft, ARK, Survivalcraft, etc. and so far Ylands does everything almost perfect!! My questions to the community are the following:

1) I saw a post on flags moving with the wind... are flags the same a the wind direction marker (small brown flag)? or are they different... in other words... if I place a flag on my ship does it always flutter in the direction of the wind or are they not dynamic like that?

2) When you die you leave behind a little marker that announces your name... Is that removable?  I died in my base once (damn sea urchins) and i had to look at that marker until I died again and then it moved to my new death location... Once i loot my stuff can I get rid of the marker?

3) Unlocking recipes... I have crafted most everything I can from my current island... I am almost to electricity but not quite... I know I need more materials like rubber and sulphur but this comes from much searching online... I know the devs are working on making a better system of leveling / unlocking recipes... this is my only hitch so far... Is finding what to make next is so super fun and yet frustrating at the same time!!

5) Goats... what do I do with goats other than killing them for hide and meat... can they be "tamed / lazooed / brought back to your base"? Any help here would be great!

6) Tips I have picked up so far... (for the original poster)...

• Mark your spawn and set up backup gear there... you will die...
  • Get familiar with the "gamechangers" like make a map ASAP, make a bedroll, figure out what you can eat, spade versus shovel versus pick for terraforming... this one is huge...,
  • There is a little icon at the bottom left of your crafting menu... on any station... this indicates recipes that are needed to "unlock" more recipes... craft this stuff if you are stuck / unsure what to craft next
  • If you have no new recipes... make sure you have gathered and made at least 1 of everything... for example... Kiln liner bricks do not show up until you mine sand... same for glass...
  • Craft at least 1 of everything you can craft to try to unlock new recipes
  • When gathering Cotton or Flax or desert cloth plant... I forget what it's called... Deconstruct them to get seeds then plant them early on... 1 plant = 3 seeds which yield 3 plants, etc... you will save so much time early on
  • Harvest and plant tall trees and make a tree farm nearby... Also a huge time saver
  • Placing using locked versus unlocked grid... this is super helpful...
  • Lastly before you make a big Build I suggest popping in creative and try it out there so that when you go to your survival world you know what materials you will need, you will not make costly mistakes, and most of all you have a gameplan before you start plopping down that stone fortress that will take you 3 hours to demolish if you mess up!
  • This last one is more of a comment / suggestion for new players... Get containers ASAP... not chest containers but rather "stuff" containers... So far I have unlocked the Herb bag, coal bucket, dirt container, seed container, shell container...  If there are more please let me know!!  These are SOOOO helpful in inventory management!!  They sit in your inventory and have a LOT of room to hold things that will be plenty cumbersome like seeds and herbs... I would love to see a "wood" container... if that exists it will make my life so much simpler in ylands!!

So as a new to Ylands but advanced survival player... I am just scratching the surface... I LOOOVE this game.  It does so many things right and has so much potential!!  I cannot wait to see what the devs and the community have in store for us!

Edited by Lupowop
changed content

Currently, hammers  wear out  rapidly so when crafting them, make at least 2 batches ie  18   also there's a hammer glitch  being looked into at the moment..if  you have an iron hammer, and want  to make  more hammers,  it will say at the  blacksmith  forge  that you need a   hammer  ( it  doesn't  recognize the iron hammer in the recipe) ..so  make and place nearby a stone  hammer  as a  work around until  its  fixed.

I also moor a  small  boat near  my  spawn point .. that way if i  get a bear roaming  nearby, i  can escape ...B|  I also place all   old weapons  (like spears   etc)   in containers there with a lantern and a flag... along with some food and a lighter / torch.

A Saber is a great weapon for  close up  defense against wolves and pumas ...but  not  for  bears. 

Shark meat is easy to  obtain...lure them into the shallows and   drop  dirt  around behind them  so they cannot  escape ...  make a dirt  bridge to them and  attack with a saber or  spear...collect the meat.

There are  2  survival threads   already .... and  Lupowop has summarized them  perfectly  :D

On 12/12/2017 at 2:55 PM, kimbuck said:

Shark meat is easy to  obtain...lure them into the shallows and   drop  dirt  around behind them  so they cannot  escape ...  make a dirt  bridge to them and  attack with a saber or  spear...collect the meat.

If you've seen Keralis' play-through you know he has no problem getting shark meat lol!