EthanRpro

Caves and exploring them

Finally decided I am brave enough to head into a cave and try my luck, but I quickly discovered that torches aren't all that great (my torch marking the exit went out and I got lost xD)

What are my options for lighting a cave up, and what do caves offer as rewards?

Thanks,

Ethan :)

I think that easiest way to light some place is to use lanterns. You should be able to make them in Glass Forming Stand. I know that there are some special random places in caves but I didn't make any much research in this way yet. :)

Edited by Miguel Preguisa
  • Upvote 1

i have been in caves several times.  i take a couple of torches with me, one or two to place, one as reserve and one just in case..  i found out, that the glowing mushrooms can be used in the alchemy stand, but i havent tried the resultin poition yet. also, you'll find crystals, that glow, deeper down the caves. those are mighty fine for illumination, be it base or cave or what ever.

for the riches to find in the caves.. best thing i found were those crystals, but they are rather common (to plentiful), i found one of those dead adventurer spots with some stuff, and mutated beasts.

i'm looking for sulfur, as that should be in caves someone said. also i found a gold ingot (on mentioned skeleton), so i guess theres gold ore somewhere in this game. mutated beasts are also good, the mutated bones they drop are very handy. i usualy hunt them with an iron crossbow.  and there should be yllandium crystals down there too, but i have yet to find one of those.

i guess if thats my loot from four islands worth of caves, that i'm rather unlucky, or just doing it wrong somehow.

• Upvote 1

Well, here's my cave experiences so far, the best way to light the way while mining is to use the mining helmet, it has amazing light coverage and frees up your hand slot .

Also, if you take the mutated bones you get from the mobs and drop them on the ground then hit them once (I used my P-Axe) they turn into ylandium dust.

Finally, I can definitely say there is gold ore in there too, in the vien I found I mined 500 ore and there's still some in there LOL, and sulfur is also in there ( its a dull-yellowish color if I remember correctly)

And as for navigation I used arrow signs with lanterns placed underneath.

Hope it helps!!

• Upvote 3

how far down had you to go for gold and sulfur?

the mutated bones can be crushed to ylandium dust in the crafting menu too. and speaking of crafting.. is it hard to make that mining helmet?

I don't think I had to go down that far for either gold or sulphur.

To make the Mining Helmet takes a Iron Ingot and a flashlight.

I must be missing a component of the ylandium dust because I can't seem to find it.

oh, my bad.  wasnt in the crafting, i ispected the bones and broke them there to get the dust. sry.

13 hours ago, Captain_Kush said:

Well, here's my cave experiences so far, the best way to light the way while mining is to use the mining helmet, it has amazing light coverage and frees up your hand slot .

Also, if you take the mutated bones you get from the mobs and drop them on the ground then hit them once (I used my P-Axe) they turn into ylandium dust.

Finally, I can definitely say there is gold ore in there too, in the vien I found I mined 500 ore and there's still some in there LOL, and sulfur is also in there ( its a dull-yellowish color if I remember correctly)

And as for navigation I used arrow signs with lanterns placed underneath.

Hope it helps!!

Mining helmet sounds sweet! what station do I need to make that? I definitely haven't discovered it yet

On our island we got this cave wich has a huge hole in it going down at least 100 meters, took me a while digging a "path" to the bottom but I made it, killing 3 mutated on the bottom. Must say very impressive sight seeing how big the cave was, especially with all the light from the crystals, it looks amazing (I'll try to make a Screenshot next time go in again).

Been digging around alot but have only found 2x gold ore and 3 diamonds so far and yes (several) lanterns are a must wenn heading in caves for a long time :) 

Edited by A3_Melle

Ylands_170415_082638.thumb.png.155010751b533703604184098518cd9a.pngHere is the cave on our Yland (me, the wife and my son are working on it). 

Ylands_170415_082628.png

Ylands_170415_041451.png

Edited by A3_Melle
  • Upvote 2

How deadly are the mutated tigers in caves, I've seen one but I decided to turn around like a coward. Are they just like normal tigers but drop something different or are they more different than that 

They are slightly stronger than normal animals, but not really boss-like.They drop some bones plus some mutated ones. They are used to make ylandium dust.