SweetJebus

RESOLVED [YLD-8086] Severe unrecoverable frame drop after certain period of playing

Question

Playing this game for more than 5 minutes causes incredible frame drop for me. Frames go down to about 11 FPS. Once that happens, exiting won't save the game state anymore. All progress is lost. As you can see in the log files I have optimal specs for this. It's not related to the visual settings - even lowest will always result in the same.

Likely this is related to this error being raised in the coroutines in each frame update. It looks to me like there is a problem writing down the serialized data to files (or memory):

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ylands.Character.SerializeToBinaryImpl (ylands.BinarySerializer bu, ylands.ObjectWriteContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ylands.Entity.Serialize (ylands.BinarySerializer bu, ylands.ObjectWriteContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ylands.WorldBlockData+Serialization.Serialize (ylands.WorldBlockData self, ylands.BinarySerializer bs, ylands.ObjectWriteContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ylands.WorldBlockData.Serialize (ylands.BinarySerializer bs, ylands.ObjectWriteContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ylands.WorldData+Serialization.SerializeToBinary (ylands.WorldData data, ylands.BinarySerializer bu, ylands.ObjectWriteContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ylands.WorldData.ToBytes (ylands.ObjectWriteContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ylands.CommonSaveData.SerializeWorldAndSettings (ylands.WorldData world, ylands.ObjectWriteContext context, Boolean cacheSuppliedObjects) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ylands.YlandSaveData.SerializeWorldAndSettings (ylands.WorldData world, ylands.ObjectWriteContext context, Boolean cacheSuppliedObjects) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ylands.YlandSaveData.SerializeGameState (ylands.GameState state, ylands.ObjectWriteContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ylands.DefaultSessionHostRole.SerializeGameState (ylands.YlandSaveData data, ylands.GameState gamestate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ylands.DefaultSessionHostRole+YlandSaveLogic.SerializeState () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ylands.GameSaver+<SaveCoro>c__Iterator1.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine_Auto_Internal(IEnumerator)
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
ylands.GameSaver:Save(Boolean, SaveGameCause, Boolean)
ylands.GameSaver:Update()

My game version is 0.6.42165.

Please fix this ASAP, as the game is NOT PLAYABLE in this state

output_log.txt

DxDiag.txt

2 replies to this bug / suggestion

I did further testing. This can be reproduced with > 70% probability by DRAGGING the "fire spot" construction recipe into the tool bar (or whatever the 1 to 0 bar at the bottom is called) and constructing a fire from there subsequently. I was using tail -F to observe the log file, and sure enough, when i was trying to place the firespot, the same messages started appearing. I guess the short term solution for me is to AVOID using construction from within the toolbar (how terribly inefficient!), and the long term solution is that the devs fix this.

Seems like we managed to fix this. You'll be able to check it in the next big update.