Duck L'Orange

RESOLVED New Ship, won't steer

Question

I spent a solid 5-6 hours building a ship in Single Player Explore mode (because that's just how I roll), only to find out it can only travel in straight lines.. and really only backwards because there's a beach in front of it.

When decorating the cabin of the ship, one of the last touches I added was placing a Computer I had discovered on an Iron Table.  As soon as I placed the Computer, it disappeared, and the ship listed heavily to one side, tilting about 30 degrees.  I didn't think too much of it, and the ship righted itself a little while later. That's when I went to take it on its maiden voyage, only to discover it can''t turn.

I tried restarting the game and replacing the helm.  There's plenty of clearance under the ship so it's not stuck on anything visible.  I'm assumed the Computer glitched out and did... something? to my ship.

I've found my ship in Editor mode (thankfully I was only one island away in a known direction when I built it) but I wasn't able to find the Computer, including inside the hull and under the ground.

Any suggestions?

7 replies to this bug / suggestion

Yeah, the problem was the computer you picked and placed (it has been removed from the game already => next update). In order to revert the ship back to normal you need to destroy the computer.

If you couldn't find it on the ship, try looking for it in the Editor at the bottom of the ocean.

Unfortunately this is the only workaround I know of so far.

If I leave the save as-is, the ship should basically correct itself in the next update then? I'm ok with just leaving it in a holding pattern until then if I can't find the computer (which hasn't gone well so far)

Some kind of "placed entity search/browser" in the Editor would be a super helpful feature in this kind of case :)

I'm not sure what will happen actually, if you don't mind, we can wait and see if the ship fixes itself once the computer is gone. The update will be out this week.

I also have a ship stranded out at sea with a similar problem but mine was due to an Egyptian rug that fell through the ship. I’ll also check on the ship after the update to see if it fixes it and can turn again

This continued after yesterday's update. Can't locate the computer anywhere in Editor mode, and in fact no part of my ship save the hull gets rendered in the Editor, though it's all there in Game Mode.

Just chalking this one up to an Early Access loss and starting a new ship :)

Well, too bad... thanks for your understanding anyway :)