Sign in to follow this  
Designated Drinker

Map Editor Water & jump to a saved location

Question

Well firstly i don't know about anyone else but messing around with the editor for over a week now, i seem to have gotten the hang of most the things, designing a big map is a major problem without having anyway to save a location see my plan was to make dozens of complex caves throughout the biggest map with five islands, the problem is i can't go straight to these locations there is no way to save them so once i finish the cave add mobs and loot that is that, because the maps are so big i need saved locations i can label and zoom to in the editor, cave 1 cave 2 ect, we need this badly.

The water tool is so hard to control and use and what you see on the editor when you go into the games play file a lot of the water you added is not there, so my suggestion would be a fill tool so if we dig a hole in editor we can simply click water and fill the hole in.

any tips on water and how to manipulate it better are welcome, as i have kinda ruined apart of my map removing wet sand and trying to fill some of the sea with water, it's just so hard to use.

so some small suggestions but would make a big difference  

Edited by Designated Drinker
typos
  • Upvote 5

5 replies to this bug / suggestion

I have the same issue with editing water. Editing large chunks of an island to fill it in with water does not really work well. You can actually see levels of water when I try. Only some of the removed land gets filled in from the ocean and adding water with the terraform tool is real tricky. In one case there is water over the water level and if you're in a boat, the boat is completely submerged as your boat moves along another level of water under the upper level... almost like a submarine. If there is a trick with working with water, I hope someone will chime in.

I notice this also and it would make it that easier if the water was controllable in edit mode but I do know that the water will level out in gameplay with some land altercation but it take time and some time it don’t. Most of the time I have to create multiple files and go into game play with one of them to see if worked, as that don't help all the time nether and a better way needs to be implemented for us creators

Edited by MrBASins

Hello

About water my sugestion is can placing solid cube water block in editor. 

Now its very funny that the ocean water hole cant filling itself to normal level

Hello ylander,

If you having trobble placing water in the editor place a terraforming tool in the world.

Load up the wold in singelplayer fix the water in real time whit the tool.

sorry for the work around but that did the trick for me,

btw if you fill water in the editor above sea level it will disappear when you load the world up in singelplayer .

11 hours ago, Scaffle said:

If you having trobble placing water in the editor place a terraforming tool in the world. Load up the wold in singelplayer fix the water in real time whit the tool. sorry for the work around but that did the trick for me, btw if you fill water in the editor above sea level it will disappear when you load the world up in singelplayer .

That work-around is fine when working with small terraforming projects using the in-game tool. However, when working with larger edits this is way too time consuming and impractical. In the editor, it's true that water placed above sea level dissapears in-game but this also results in an uneven sea level. It just looks bad and also causes visual glitches. In one case, I removed an island and replaced it with water that I painstakingly worked hard to make as level as possible and there are still places where the water is too high. There are several water anomalies as a result of using the editor to work with water:

1. There are visible changes in the water levels. You can even get this by digging under water while playing survival.
2. Water that lays above the level that boats sail on. This means that if you enter that area in a boat, you will be under water, sailing along an invisible level of water that is under the visible water level.
3. Areas that appear to have no water and looks like dry land, but that you can sail across in a boat floating above the land because the game is convinced that there is water there, even though you can't see it.
4. Areas that appear to have no water like in #3, but in this case, the invisible water is not deep enough to accommodate the boat. If you jump off the boat, you can run on the land but you will see and hear splashing as if you were running through invisible water. In some cases you can swim on this invisible water making it look like you are swimming on land.

All issues above are from using the editor water tool. In the editor I would expect a fill tool for water that will fill to the ocean level with a single click when selecting an empty area.

Edited by Whane