Whane The Whip

My Catamaran MK III

These are screenshots from my scenario called "Water World" available at the Ylands workshop. This is the MK III version of a Catamaran that I completed as part of the scenario in which there are no islands and you have to find a way to build an island. Technically it's a Trimaran but most people are familiar with the "Catamaran" so that's what I called it. There is no noticeable decrease in speed and plenty of room to store stuff, I'm only using a fraction of the space available. Give it a test drive or better yet, see if you can build a nice sustainable home made island with what little you have in the boat:   https://ylands.net/asset/142 

I know everyone is focused on the ships, but I see a lot of potential for this boat. What do you think?

LNprdM9hRJqShZwAsgRarw.png

MjHGSncaSdmkqKTd1mVBxQ.png

Wpr4M8-TQg2XGpLvug8BBw.png

ww-thumb-main.png

zj-uwHsfQWG5Kj99Pz3O6Q.png

download.jpg

I__labcsRguJjtnqjfWERQ.png

Edited by Whane
added couple more screens
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 4

This is brilliant, did you make it in the editor or in creative/survival? I also much prefer using boats over ships in Explorer, I usually add a few small cabinets and some sacks to get around 30 storage slots.

Thanks @WijkagentAdrie, I used the editor because I had to remove an island as there doesn't seem to be an option to generate a world without at least one island. However I have also built the same boat in my survival world. The one main difference is that on my player world, I can't include the corn because planting a seed in a pot does not work when the pot is on a boat (the seed will not stick to the pot).

On that note, there is an area in the scenario that has some water anomalies because I had to destroy an island and then cover the area with water and working with water in the editor is difficult. In the future I might update it to simply leave one island on the map but have the player start far removed from it then add some lore about "one remaining island left". A player could start a water base and make a map and then look for that island. But imo the fun is in building your own island, in my case I'm trying to build something similar to that trade hub in the movie Water World.

If anyone has feedback about the starting supplies, or anything else, let me know. I've not played the game long enough yet to be familiar with what is needed to build from scratch. I know this can be improved though and as I do my own play-through I'm hoping to find ways of improving the scenario.

Edited by Whane

That looks great who says you need a big ship to look great you can ever do it with a small boat :)

@Whane The Whip I have started playing this scenario and its proving quite difficult and fun! The only real problem I have encountered is the constant shaking of the boat causes buidling anything a nightmare. Otherwise, I have successfully somehow planted a tree in the middle of the ocean and am now fishing and making myself a little hut.

Update: Cut down the tree and it fell to the bottom of the ocean.. So thats another problem I am now facing xD

Edited by dia13l089

6 hours ago, dia13l089 said:

@Whane The Whip I have started playing this scenario and its proving quite difficult and fun! The only real problem I have encountered is the constant shaking of the boat causes buidling anything a nightmare. Otherwise, I have successfully somehow planted a tree in the middle of the ocean and am now fishing and making myself a little hut.

Update: Cut down the tree and it fell to the bottom of the ocean.. So thats another problem I am now facing xD

I'm glad you're up to the challenge. I forgot about the trick to plant at sea... I think I understand, so you planted a tree then used it to attach blocks and start a build? There is another way, clues in a screenshot at the workshop site. After playing it myself, I have a few revisions to make and I'm considering making is slightly easier by placing a block as a foundation from which to build at the 2nd boat site. I may also have to make that boat closer because it was pointed out to me that on medium settings it is not visible at the beginning and getting to that abandoned boat is critical to the challenge. 

Edit: I'm also thinking about changing the location so that it rains more (for bigger waves) to make it seem more daunting until you can get a build started.

Edited by Whane The Whip

1 hour ago, Whane The Whip said:

I'm glad you're up to the challenge. I forgot about the trick to plant at sea... I think I understand, so you planted a tree then used it to attach blocks and start a build? There is another way, clues in a screenshot at the workshop site. After playing it myself, I have a few revisions to make and I'm considering making is slightly easier by placing a block as a foundation from which to build at the 2nd boat site. I may also have to make that boat closer because it was pointed out to me that on medium settings it is not visible at the beginning and getting to that abandoned boat is critical to the challenge. 

Edit: I'm also thinking about changing the location so that it rains more (for bigger waves) to make it seem more daunting until you can get a build started.

I'd definitely agree on making bigger waves and weather effects to add to the insanity and challenge. I am not aware of this planted tree and attaching block method. I started building blocks directly off the left side of my boat, however this added a hinderance to its performance as I cannot turn xD. So going to start from scratch and try a new method to somehow make a structure to live on. I wouldnt know about the 2nd boat site being missed as I have always immediately spotted it. You could add more boat sites across the ocean to give players a reason to sail around, and doing so, provide certain resources that are unobtainable without the normal land masses. Otherwise I definitely love the challenge so far!

• Thanks 1

@dia13l089 That is a great idea!

So I just updated the scenario slightly. This isn't the big update I want but I was able to do this one quickly and I wanted to make sure that the workshop systems works and that I can edit it for revisions, so minor changes first. Those changes include:

1. Made some minor corrections to the catamaran, some items are pickable, some are not. Also some changes to the 2nd boat.
2. The 2nd boat should be visible now to all players with medium settings. I suppose I can't help it much if players are going with custom or low settings.
3. I added lore in the form of letters, one in your inventory, and a "Sun Faded Letter".
4. I added a spot nearby the 2nd boat that can be used to anchor a build. This takes some of the challenge out of it, however new players to the scenario could ignore it, this is hinted at in the Sun Faded Letter.
5. Slight alteration to starting wicker inventory. This means less iron and I added stone chunks.

What I want to do is going to take more time but this is what I'm planning:

A. There will be three game modes between Easy, Standard, & Hard. This will be determined at character creation and cannot be reversed. There will be several factors in the difficulty including death penalties, starting location, inventory, and how much effort will be needed to get a base started.
B. Rather than remove the island as I did in the previous version, I will leave the island on the map as an easter egg. It will be far from spawn though and to find it one will still need to first build a base and a map, and preferable a ship to replace the slow boat.
C. Will change the location for more rain and thus heavy seas. This is the part that is delaying me because in order to change the location, I have to start from scratch, that and item B above. But this will definitely add atmosphere and give it that end-of-the-world feeling with lots of rain that has resulted in a flooded world. In some cases it will also make it more difficult, esp before a base with an unmoving foundation is established.
D. As you mentioned, I will add areas of interests and supplies/materials in the form of boat sites, but will include some depth sites too. Perhaps some sunken ships, etc...

The thing that's killing me is that there is no option to add a protective barrier in the editor so building a base at sea (or anywhere) will be harder to edit.

Edited by Whane The Whip

@Whane The Whip Is the Island going to be big or say a tiny one with a few trees and whatnot? I would go with smaller as if there was a big island, once discovered, people would never leave. With tiny islands or even just one, you could go ashore and use it to farm wood or crops efficiently and that's all. Or maybe set easy with the island, medium with tiny small islands, and hard with none like the original concept. I forgot to mention the sea life in general earlier haha but it seems you can only go down so far before you hit an invisible force field. Also I did not see any sharks which could increase the risk of staying on the boat. Otherwise I'm loving it so far, as its a nice refresher from the typical farm and travel to other islands and rather just hardcore survival. Keep up the great work!

I have been trying everything to figure out how you managed to attach the Medieval Window to the boat like that, could you please explain how you achieved this?

2 hours ago, Kage-e8038c9be6912346 said:

I have been trying everything to figure out how you managed to attach the Medieval Window to the boat like that, could you please explain how you achieved this?

The first rendering of that boat was in survival mode: For that I parked the boat along side one of the natural xy lines so that it was perfectly lined up with a set of blocks I had placed on the shoreline. From there I went into first person view to place the windows on the side of the boat using the slight corners of the boat where the curves meet as a marker so that I could be sure to have both sides as even as possible. I also made sure to have the windows going into the boat just slightly. For the opposite side, I literally drove the boat out and then backed it in to the same spot (because my blocks were only on one side) with the same alignment. In survival mode this can still come out quite nice but the real tricky part is clicking to place at the magic moment between the ups and downs of the boat as the waves come in... obviously clear weather is needed.

For the Waterworld Scenario I used the editor and it was much easier. With the editor I was able to use grid placement so everything was much more perfect looking than in survival. However I will add that when saving it as a composition I had to save it twice due to that weird color bug that happens when placing compositions. The fix was to correct the color after placement then save another copy of the composition.

The lantern on the stick in the editor can be a bit precarious too if that is getting included in your version, in that case I found that it was actually easier to place that lantern on the stick in the game. In the editor the problem seems to be when changing the tilt of the stick... I wanted it to tilt higher so that the lantern was raised up a bit more but for whatever reason, the lantern did not want to attach to the stick when doing that so I ended up with a slightly flat placement of the stick and therefore lower position for the lantern than what I wanted.

I'll add one more thing. If you are planning to fly colors attached to the mast, you will find that it wont work as-is because the mast does not register as a solid object. To fix this, you can place sticks inside the mast reaching up to the top and then attach a flag to that top stick. As a side note, this makes the mast appear to be solid and there may be a way to use this to hook it to a ship to pull it in transit, though I have not yet experimented with this.

That boat, as simple as it looks, took a surprising amount of time to build lol, both in the editor and in survival mode. But I've always been a slower builder in games like this anyway.

Edited by Whane The Whip
  • Like 1

OH THANK YOU!

I'm still learning the editor. I think my problem was the placement and alignment in the grid as I was just placing stuff at random and not considering the grid aspect at all.

Thank you for the information. I'm going to see what I can do without the editor as it's more challenging and I don't want to get in the habit of using it as I feel it will, for me, ruin the game.