Sign in to follow this  
wekslak

Laptop switchable graphics - YLANDS uses IGPU instead of AMD

Question

hi folks,

any idea on how to run YLANDS using AMD graph (AMD Radeon R7 M265) instead of integrated intel?

Normally, I would simply list out a game within AMD control center (which i did) and voila, however YLANDS to whatever reason still uses intel graphs which means unplayable.

Tried many diff ways to force AMD use but to no avail. So trying this forum prior the laptop will hit flying bird when thrown out of window.

On second laptop I got multi GPU as well but instead AMD it is Nvidia and no issues, the game identified by itself that to run properly it should not pretend it is Word or Outlook and managed to squeeze Nvidia's juicy performance.

(Need both laptops to work so I can play w/ GF and if I will not manage to fix hers, I will have to say bye to my laptop! Please help...)

thanks a ton in advance

W.

Edited by wekslak

9 replies to this bug / suggestion

2 hours ago, wekslak said:

hi folks,

any idea on how to run YLANDS using AMD graph (AMD Radeon R7 M265) instead of integrated intel?

Normally, I would simply list out a game within AMD control center (which i did) and voila, however YLANDS to whatever reason still uses intel graphs which means unplayable.

Tried many diff ways to force AMD use but to no avail. So trying this forum prior the laptop will hit flying bird when thrown out of window.

On second laptop I got multi GPU as well but instead AMD it is Nvidia and no issues, the game identified by itself that to run properly it should not pretend it is Word or Outlook and managed to squeeze Nvidia's juicy performance.

(Need both laptops to work so I can play w/ GF and if I will not manage to fix hers, I will have to say bye to my laptop! Please help...)

thanks a ton in advance

W.

Hi there, sometimes it can be as simple as to change your Power Settings mode to enable the more powerful graphics options by default. In: Start - Control Panel - All Control Panel Items - Power Options - Show additional plans - switch it to the "High Performance" setting.

Other times, dependent on your dual graphics setup, you may have to enable this game to run with that card, within the software. AMD Catalyst Control Centre has some settings for this, likewise NVIDIA Control Panel should have some similar options.

Edited by Ylanders UK Dedicated

Thanks for trying to help! 

however these are exactly points i tried...i think the issue is with the relation between catalyst control center and ylands as other games i listed work perfectly...

well, managed to solve it though - we bought new laptop with nvidia :] 

Maybe you could have disabled your IGPU from device manager? (Ain't sure this is possible, and wouldn't advise doing it without severe googling.)

Edited by h2stipandav

Is it possible that you set only YlandsLauncher.exe in CCC instead of Ylands_Game.exe to run on the dedicated GPU?

I know he has already gotten a different computer, I am just documenting this as it will likely come up again for someone else.

According to this page by Microsoft on updates needed by Win7 computers to run DX 11.1 features: :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2670838/platform-update-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1

You have to run a special update (update 2834140)  if you have a laptop with switchable graphics of Intel+Radeon, as they claim there that the normal DX11 update for Win7 is incompatible with the radeon switchable driver

Compatibility issues on certain computers that have hybrid video cards

Important Some computers that have a combination of Intel and AMD video cards in a hybrid configuration have drivers installed that are incompatible with this platform update.

After you install this update and then restart the computer, the computer may crash because of these compatibility issues. In this situation, you receive a Stop error message that resembles the following:

Screen shot of the Stop error

Note This Stop error includes the "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" text and the Igdpmd64.sys or Igdpmd32.sys file name.

To resolve this issue, you may have to install update 2834140 ("0x00000050" Stop error after you install update 2670838 on a computer that is running Windows 7 SP1 or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1). Additionally, use the following tables to install the latest compatible drivers for your video card.

Edited by Sprout
  • Upvote 1

thanks guys for all the input...will try to check which exe file I actually selected and let ya know tomorrow...might come handy for future reference at least

disabling IGPU is not possible - tried via bios but that lenovo does not support it (read that some laptops have that option though)

is it a windows 7 laptop? Or is in win8/10?

Sometimes with the radeon switchable settings, there is a global setting where you can tell it to ALWAYS use "high performance" (which is radeon graphics) and never use "battery saving" or "power saving" (which is Intel graphics)

37019d1391959355t-win-8-amd-switchable-g

Lenovo also has a driver download page where you can check for driver updates for your specific model:

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t440s/downloads

(select in dropdown for "display and Video" then your operating system)

Edited by Sprout

thanks...all drivers up-2-date and it is win10

however, not sure why but i got diff catalyst center where i dont have such options...

will try the exe stuff that Berzeger suggested now...

Different versions of the radeon control panel have different options and layout, so not a big surprise if yours does not look like the image I posted.

the exe part that Berzeger suggested is the best adviice.