Sign in to follow this  
Onedown

I'd like to hear other's single player experiences.

I haven't seen many posts about the single player explore experience and I'd like to hear from folks as to how far they are actually able to get in single player explore mode recently.  

I've played over 300 hours in single player explore mode and only one game out of around 8 was I able to get close to exploring the whole map before the game became unplayable.  That was the very first game I played and it was before the last update.

So folks,  how far have you been able to get and how recent was the experience?

I'm asking because most of the recent posts have pertained to multiplayer problems.

In my experience the game remains playable as long as I stay on the starter island which usually is only until I am in need of a material such as rubber, sulfur, saltpeter or copper.

The more of the map that I explore the more unplayable the game becomes.  I have also noticed that the longer I play per session the more unplayable the game becomes in that particular session.  For instance my most recent game ( i decided to give it another shot after the recent hotfixes to see if they had any effect) I have discovered 4 islands and after about 40 minutes even if I stay on my home island the entire time the game becomes unplayable for me.  The disk becomes 100% busy alternating between ylands.exe and system with windows antimalware service executable becoming more active than usual as well.  At this point I'm forced to exit to the loading screen in order to save my progress and this takes approximately 5 minutes and up then after I am back at the loading screen fully exiting the game take another period of 5 or more minutes just to exit the game.

I have never seen a piece of software act like this and it defies all logic.  

Also I'd like to ask the devs,  what on earth do you have my hard drive doing for that long period of time?  the save game file is not large enough to account for that amount of disk usage.

I only ask because i'm not seeing many reviews on steam that have more than 8 or so hours of playtime.  If i only played 8 hours of single player my review would have been positive as well.

I’m in a similar position to you... about 400 hours in the game.

Prior to 0.7 i had a world - fully explored, lots of builds and no issues at all.

i started a new single player game when 0.7 came out, visited 4 islands (including spawn) and settled on the second island I found. I even imported my ship and a few builds. I had no issues at all. Yesterday I visited island #5 and when I returned home the lag was so bad it took me nearly 15 minutes just to dock my ship!

i relogged and the game was better, but it was only running at 20-25 FPS - prior to exploring that one island I was getting 50-60.

i don’t seem to have your Issues with exiting or starting a game but I suspect that’s just a matter of time.

In all honesty, if playing prior versions was a option, I am fairly sure I would forgo the NPC/trading and revert to a 0.6 world.

Edited by TheSparkPlug

Could you guys attach the save game files where you're having the issues, please?

Hmmh, it never happened to me while playing Ylands both singleplayer and multiplayer.. It happened to me when I played neighbour's game "latest realistic medieval", :D it's due to my potato beast hardware push really hard to it's limit (only 1 GB RAM left for OS to run and 20-40% hard disk Active Running Time left while that "latest realistic medieval" running ).  Can you upload your dxdiag report here too? 

31 minutes ago, Ane said:

Could you guys attach the save game files where you're having the issues, please?

The issue is exactly the same as the one I previously reported and you guys already have the log files.  As far as save games go,  i've deleted ylands for the time being, as well as all related files so I don't get tempted into destroying my hard drive by continuing to play until i see that the issues have been resolved.

Edited by Onedown
Addition

Could you link it here? Or did you send it privately? I can't remember which one you're referring to off the top of my head :)

Here's my save game. As I mentioned, my only real issue is the drop in FPS since returning from island #5... making me worried to find/explore the remaining islands!

Also, any reason why my large ship should move one/two blocks north every time it unloads/loads? It doesn't matter which way it is facing and I don't think it is wind/tide related as it doesn't happen to the older ship or the small boat. It moves each time I restart the game or if I even just visit the opposite side of the island!  I can often find it sitting ON the dock!

CC_THREE.zip

Edited by TheSparkPlug
typo

I was able to restore the last save game out of my trash bin but you guys don't allow drag and drop of save game files so i added .txt at the end. And just to add some perspective here the time it took to upload the file to you guys was considerably shorter than it was to actually save and exit the game.

DUNHAM.ylandsgame.txt

15 minutes ago, Onedown said:

i've deleted ylands for the time being, as well as all related files so I don't get tempted into destroying my hard drive by continuing to play until i see that the issues have been resolved.

lol, thats too much.. Software won't destroy your hardware unless the hardware already malfunction or have sign of dying. xD After I read your other post, try to scan your hard disk for bad sector, just to make sure everything is not hardware related, defrag will not do anything to bad sector. And my suggestion, don't use windows chkdsk(most of the time if chkdsk found bad sector, it will freeze too long), use other software like Macrorit.

I know its heartbreaking O.o, my hard disk got bad sector recently, at first I only experience the system will freeze for certain access of software/file. At the end, I realized that software and files which make system freeze is because they're literally at where bad sector detected. There are temporary solutions to save your old hard disk, feel free to PM if your hard disk have bad sector in it. ;) Good luck!

13 minutes ago, Velocifer said:

After I read your other post, try to scan your hard disk for bad sector, just to make sure everything is not hardware related, defrag will not do anything to bad sector.

Just because it doesn't hurt to check I did and chkdsk found no bad sectors.  But I do disagree software that doesn't play nice can most certainly harm your system by overuse which causes wear on moving parts mainly hard drives when it comes to moving parts.   Also software can harm electronics as well,  not so much by heat in and of itself from overuse.  The harm comes from repeated heating and cooling because of the expansion and contraction the differences in temperature cause.  The more times you stress things the more likely they are to malfunction.  Basically what i'm saying is that things wear out and if they are overused they will wear out faster and im not willing to let my HD die faster than it needs to.  If you were to say Well behaved software won't destroy you're hardware faster than the normal life expectancy of the hardware I'd agree 100%. But this is getting out of the context of YLands so I won't bore people with examples.

10 minutes ago, Onedown said:

Just because it doesn't hurt to check I did and chkdsk found no bad sectors. 

Just to make sure, did you do that at disk where Ylands installed? If you did chkdsk to "C:" while your Ylands installed on "D:" thats explain nothing. xD 
If software only behave weird on yourself not another user, then there is something wrong on your side. Anyway everybody have their own opinion, we're here to help you and devs to make things as clear as possible, and hopefully get solution. ;)

1 minute ago, Velocifer said:

Just to make sure, did you do that at disk where Ylands installed? If you did chkdsk to "C:" while your Ylands installed on "D:" thats explain nothing. 

Let me ask you this.  Please play a full single player exploration game all the way until you discover all of the possible islands,  build ships,  build a base do all the things associated with playing the single player explore as the game exists in its current iteration.   Come back in a next week and If you can say you have done that and had no problems at all I would suggest uploading your save game to the devs as well so that they can maybe compare mine to yours and maybe find out what is different. I know the game worked in the past because I watched keralis' whole let's play in fact it's the only reason I bought an early access game (note that playthrough was before 0.7).  My main point of this particular  thread was not to report a problem that I already reported in the appropriate forum but to discuss other people's experience in playing it recently,  after updates and hotfixes.  Why?  To see if there is a common thread,  a commonality between playstyles or things we have done in the game that may be at the root of the problem.  If if five or ten people posted here "yeah I just finished a total playthrough in single player explore mode after the last update and hotfixes and had no problems at all."  I would say yeah I must be doing something wrong,  but that hasn't happened.  Myself and 1 other person related a recent experience and both experiences were similar.  I'd love to hear positive ones as well.  Assuming that I checked the wrong drive is not helpful at all.  Even in MP mode which most posts have been about people are saying the experience is becoming worse after the latest update and hotfixes.  The only thing i'm not seeing huge issues with is the Edit mode. 

4 hours ago, Onedown said:

Assuming that I checked the wrong drive is not helpful at all. 

lol, thats just a joke, I'm sorry if my post (below) doesn't sounds right to you.. xD maybe that laugh emote doesn't strong enough to have meaning if its joking.

5 hours ago, Velocifer said:

Just to make sure, did you do that at disk where Ylands installed? If you did chkdsk to "C:" while your Ylands installed on "D:" thats explain nothing. xD 

Oh well back to the topic, since playing and to get fully discovered islands in Explore mode from scratch is takes time, I decide to just compare my old save game and your savegame with their output_logs. I tried to load my alltime singleplayer savegame (because I only play MP until now after this one), everything works fine (there are lag here and there especially when the game loading new objects which is normal for 6 years old hardware) for about 2 hours fully rediscover 11 islands, my HDD and others seems working normally as expected(no 100% HDD active time for longer than 10 seconds and no intensive Write or Read/sec from Ylands.exe, RAM is fully used, CPU working normally).performance-11.thumb.PNG.bc6cf1cf9cc0e63239e1c28a7c331385.PNG

And then I tried to load @Onedown's savegame, because savegame in singleplayer also works based on BI ID(like multiplayer), so I need to create new character and spawn at first island. Glad that your base is on first island and you don't activate the barrier. xD I'm quickly take all stuff from Onedown's character then flying around the island. I found huge tall castle there. Is it generated random structure? because I never found that one in MP. And as always, big structures demands pretty big power to load as well. ¬¬

I played for about 30 minutes and the game just freeze longer than 5 minutes (which is not normal). I did check the Resource Monitor, HDD  shows 100% Active Time and Ylands.exe is on intensive Write or Read/sec above the System. So conclusion, something strange happen in Onedown's savegame. Good thing it's not hardware problem I guess.. :D

3 minutes ago, Velocifer said:

Is it generated random structure?

yes I believe it is part of the 0.7 update along with a few other new random sets.

On 12/03/2018 at 2:51 PM, TheSparkPlug said:

Also, any reason why my large ship should move one/two blocks north every time it unloads/loads? It doesn't matter which way it is facing and I don't think it is wind/tide related as it doesn't happen to the older ship or the small boat. It moves each time I restart the game or if I even just visit the opposite side of the island!  I can often find it sitting ON the dock1

Ane

I know this might have got buried in the thread, but I am curious as to whether you have any suggestions regarding this?

12 minutes ago, TheSparkPlug said:

Ane

I know this might have got buried in the thread, but I am curious as to whether you have any suggestions regarding this?

Mm I believe I haven't seen this reported by anyone else. What do you mean exactly by unloads/loads?

1 hour ago, Ane said:

Mm I believe I haven't seen this reported by anyone else. What do you mean exactly by unloads/loads?

I think he means every time the game starts, his ship has moved incrementally north despite it being south upon exit.

14 minutes ago, Baz Foobar said:

I think he means every time the game starts, his ship has moved incrementally north despite it being south upon exit.

Also I think he is referring to when chunks load and unload.  By moving to the opposite side of the island the ship unloads from memory and reloads into memory when he moves back in range of the ship.  I don't want to speak for him I am just relating how I interpreted what he wrote.  I also must warn that I have been wrong about things a few times in the past  :) 

Ships moving unintentionally  is one problem I have never noticed. 

Edited by Onedown
Clarify

So I asked our testers and they've never experienced this, but they'll try to reproduce it. Having your output_log and output_log_clean files would help a lot too :)

Yep.

if I place my ship on the north side of a dock (doesn’t matter which way it is facing) then each time it loads in it will be a little bit more further away from the dock. It seems to move about one blocks worth each time.

if I put it on the south side of a dock it will actually end up on the dock!

the “loading in” can be either starting the game or even mid-game - say, by going to the other side of the island and back again.

It’s the large white ship in the save game I posted above. The other ship and boat do not have the same issue.

28 minutes ago, TheSparkPlug said:

It’s the large white ship in the save game I posted above. The other ship and boat do not have the same issue.

Perfect, thanks! :)

1 hour ago, Ane said:

So I asked our testers and they've never experienced this, but they'll try to reproduce it. Having your output_log and output_log_clean files would help a lot too :)

I wanted to add some more anecdotal feedback on this - I no longer have the save files or the logs, but shortly after 0.7 dropped, I placed a keyring with some keys in it on the floor of a house that was built as a floating structure.  Over the course of the day, the keys moved ever so slightly to the north until they disappeared off the platform.  I know it was gradual because I retain a copy of the save file every 5 minutes over a period of 48 hours.  During the window in which the keys were placed and their subsequent disappearance, you could see them slightly further north in each save.  I can try to reproduce it for you this weekend to see if it still happens.

Man, the weird things that happen in this game... :D If you have the time to reproduce it, that'd be awesome! Thanks a lot.