Sign in to follow this  
Pharaun Mizzrym

Spawning Natural Caves Editor?

What do I do to get a cave to spawn when creating a world in the editor?  Are caves random spawns or do they appear in every island creation?

No caves or random scenarios in editor-generated maps.  No protection barriers or navigating by birds either apparently.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Baz Foobar said:

No caves or random scenarios in editor-generated maps.  No protection barriers or navigating by birds either apparently.

Err, then how am I playing a cave in a Multiplayer?  You have to generate the world before you can host it.  I'm confused.  Let me rephrase.  How do I host an island with a cave in it?

5 minutes ago, Pharaun Mizzrym said:

Err, then how am I playing a cave in a Multiplayer?  You have to generate the world before you can host it.  I'm confused.  Let me rephrase.  How do I host an island with a cave in it?

There is a difference between regular MP generated maps and editor-generated maps.  One is done by the game holistically, the other is done by the editor with tweakable parameters.

If you want a multiplayer map with caves, you have to go with the former (or build your own caves in the latter).

Edited by Baz Foobar

Okay well this can just be moved on over to the SUGGESTIONS I guess.  Dah why would we not want to generate caves in editor mode?

And that now explains why all the multiplayer maps are so copy-n-paste boring the same thing with no surprises from editing. 

Wait, what if I generate a world in Multiplayer mode first and then take it to the editor mode and then put it back in Multiplayer mode after editing it?  Would that give me a cave I could edit?

1 minute ago, Pharaun Mizzrym said:

Okay well this can just be moved on over to the SUGGESTIONS I guess.  Dah why would we not want to generate caves in editor mode?

And that now explains why all the multiplayer maps are so copy-n-paste boring the same thing with no surprises from editing. 

Wait, what if I generate a world in Multiplayer mode first and then take it to the editor mode and then put it back in Multiplayer mode after editing it?  Would that give me a cave I could edit?

The editor, I presume, is not yet feature-complete and lacks functionality that we'll eventually have at release (at least I hope so, otherwise it is such a missed opportunity).

But yes, you can take any saved game (single player, multiplayer, doesn't matter) and open it within the editor to perform further edits, save it, then have your MP server continue to serve up that world with your modifications.

• Thanks 1

We'd like to have caves in the Editor eventually :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1