Sign in to follow this  
TheSparkPlug

Preserving Explore Mode

Question

Ales mentioned in his latest update that the ultimate aim is to have: “two worlds, story-like progression and a boss fight”... hence the need to remove the ability to edit worlds.

I wonder if it might be an idea to introduce a third game mode for this and thus keep “explore mode” as it currently is. So, we’d have:

- Creative: as it currently is

- Explore: as it currently is - editable, but no story or boss

- Story: the full game, so not editable

That could be of benefit to some servers, especially those for whom a story/boss is less important than the ability to add their own customised spawn area, replace resources/animals etc, and generally undo other mess created by griefers..

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

9 replies to this bug / suggestion

I'm not against adding a kind of story mode, but I agree that the Open World Explore and Creative modes need to be preserved.  For me, the fun of Ylands has been in full unrestricted construction (Creative or the Editor) and alternately on seeing what I can do when I have to earn the resources, unlock the items, and deal with the restrictions (Explore and Online MP).

I can certainly see making some items or achievements only available in a story mode, but leave the open world.  Even if they weren't in the original plan, they've proven to be very enjoyable for the players, so maybe the plan should change a little to include them.

• Upvote 4

Yeah. I have no interest in a story mode or final boss. (Which is likely to be a dragon, I think.)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 4/18/2018 at 6:22 PM, TheSparkPlug said:

- Creative: as it currently is

- Explore: as it currently is - editable, but no story or boss

- Story: the full game, so not editable

My idea:

Creative: SP (maybe MP on a locked DS)

Explore: MP/DS

Story: SP

Key: SP = Singleplayer MP= Multi = DS= Dedicated server

Wait wait wait.. did I just read that the new update will no longer able us to edit an explore map? 

1 hour ago, Mitch Treader said:

Wait wait wait.. did I just read that the new update will no longer able us to edit an explore map? 

Once the game leaves Early Access.

• Thanks 1

On 23/04/2018 at 1:11 AM, Baz Foobar said:

Once the game leaves Early Access.

Thats a real kick in the guts.. how are DS operators supposed to manage their worlds.. stupid to be honest.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Energritz_ said:

Thats a real kick in the guts.. how are DS operators supposed to manage their worlds.. stupid to be honest.

Yeah I thought so. But if they want to make exploration mode to be their "official" thing, then there is custom map for non-official DS, which I think will be generated much better in the future. Up voted this thread. ;)

Edited by V-Alfred

54 minutes ago, V-Alfred said:

Yeah I thought so. But if they want to make exploration mode to be their "official" thing, then there is custom map for non-official DS, which I think will be generated much better in the future. Up voted this thread. ;)

As long as they have Protection barrier working in the new mode then sure im all for it.. unlike the current system...

• Upvote 1