Sign in to follow this  
Aleš Ulm

Sneak Peek #56

Hey there, fellow ylanders.

In the past weeks we've talked mostly about the future of Ylands, our plans, and things we and our players have achieved. It’s been some time since we last discussed what’s going on with the game right now... we plan to change it now!

Since the development team grew quite big, we are now able to work on a lot of issues at the same time. We are improving some of the large game systems like combat (yes, we’ve been working on that for some time now) but also, based on your feedback, the way things are built (placed) outside the Editor. We still have to iron out some issues, but I can already say that the new building system feels a whole lot better.

At the same time, we keep playing the game over and over again and fixing even some smaller issues which we find – some annoying ones or potential exploits. We are fixing/improving digging, issues related to trading, character controls, and more. It seemed to us that you liked how many fixes were present in 0.10, therefore we believe you won’t be disappointed by what comes in 0.11.  

Also, we’ve already mentioned that we’re implementing a new renderer... and the results are very promising :)

Peaceful country.jpg
Who wouldn't want a room like this one? :) (Peaceful country courtesy of  @Christalle)

The topic that many of you are asking about is multiplayer and all the related issues. We’re looking into this as well, but identifying all the issues is not an easy task. A lot of the times the feedback we get is just “fix the multiplayer, it’s laggy” etc. which, unfortunately, is not enough for us to localize a specific problem you’re experiencing. Ylands is a very complex game with a lot of subsystems, so we would like to ask you to be as specific as possible. For example, it is a well-documented issue that whenever anyone sails on a ship in a MP game, other players can experience massive lag. But that’s just one of potentially many scenarios. Even though our QA are doing their best, you can still help us a lot. If you are aware of other specific situations like the one mentioned, please do let us know.

Because we understand that you probably have a lot of questions, we - based on a community suggestion - would like to do a live moderated Q&A where you would be able to ask us anything. Let us know if you like this idea (if you find it interesting enough and it goes well, we can start doing it on a semi-regular basis).

So that’s all for today and I hope to see you next Friday! Until then have a great time, ylanders... and stay classy!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

To answer your question, as a server admin I find that as people explore my world, the lag increases over time. It starts lag-free, grows in lag as people explore and the lag at some point becomes unbearable. 

I suggest doing all gameplay testing on dedicated servers to see the cumulative effect. 

I would love a live Q&A session! Sunday's seem to be great for the community. 

• Upvote 1