Sign in to follow this  
Marci Magyar

Dev Diary #83

Hey there fellow ylanders,

As most of you probably know, we have successfully released update 0.13 to ylands - titled "Fine Friendships".

Just as a recap, the main features added by the update:

• Friends list - this new feature will let you maintain a list of friends, see what games they are playing, and join them or invite them to your own
  • Clans system - the first iteration of this new system will let players form clans for easier communication and organisation 
  • New chat system - with the new and updated chat system (including color-coded channels) players will now be able to chat not just within the game but in the main menu or even in the Editor
  • New terrain generation - we have significantly improved terrain generation, for more exciting landscapes with more unique terrain variations – for both surface biomes and the underground cave systems
  • Advanced object grouping - creators will now be able to organize objects into a parent-child hierarchy, enabling a new layer of control over objects, ultimately allowing the creation and easy-management of complex creations and contraptions
  • Dynamic object groups - a new solution making it simple to move and rotate objects over time and with a specific speed – invaluable for creators

As per our usual update tradition, we have also released a video developer diary, that introduces these features:

FineFriendship013_vid_thumb.png

Please enjoy the update - and let us know what you think of it!

In the meantime, as the dust settles in the office, we are ready to set our eyes to new horizons and further updates...

Until then, stay classy ylanders!

• Like 3

Great work! 

Who made that cool rocket ship and robot? 

Are you hinting at a space biome for release ;) 

1 hour ago, bb cakes_P1 said:

@RedEagle_P1. wants all the people in his clan.

Can you be a member of more thsn one clan?

I think its one clan per person now. And yes, right now Ylands is super small so I think having everyone together might be a great benefit. 

On 6/21/2019 at 9:51 PM, RedEagle_P1. said:

I think its one clan per person now. And yes, right now Ylands is super small so I think having everyone together might be a great benefit. 

Just a small disclamer to the "everyone in one clan" when the clan system will update to the power barrer I don't want everyone can interact with my house and ressources. I think the friend list is a good way to play and speak with people but the clan for me is just for a small group of friends, like people you trust.

• Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, Bob Salvador said:

Just a small disclamer to the "everyone in one clan" when the clan system will update to the power barrer I don't want everyone can interact with my house and ressources. I think the friend list is a good way to play and speak with people but the clan for me is just for a small group of friends, like people you trust.

I doubt they will share each barrier to the clan. If that is the case we would need to change things. Right now however the game badly needs a way to see who is online and who can be played with which I think the clan can serve as until more features are developed. 

I don't expect more than 150 active players play often (DAU). 

• Upvote 1

A few reasons to bring back the 1st person camera mode (with a 1-button toggle between 1st and 3rd person camera modes):

• First of all, PVP becomes unplayable without a FULL 1st person camera, especially with more enemies, for most people.
  • Second of all, precision placing become imprecise. Or, at the very least, I would have to switch from 1st person to third person A LOT.
  • Third of all, houses and ships with tight spaces, mining tunnels, using machicolations and using arrow slits becomes nearly impossible.
  • Fourth, and maybe most important, IMMERSION IS GONE !!!
  • Fifth, a "first person shooter" without the first person camera mode is a "third person shooter". You might have noticed that it nowhere near as popular as the first person shooter genre, including tournaments and competitions.
  • Sixth, the most popular games in the genre have both 1st and 3rd person camera modes. Those without both are most often a lot less popular.

Those are just a few reasons off the top of my head why a FULLY FUNCTIONING 1rd person mode is MANDATORY in a game of this genre.