Indomitus

Building optimization

Question

I thought it best to start a thread in here, rather than hijacking the unrelated thread where the conversation started...

5 hours ago, kimbuck said:

I been dabbling in Outlaws of the wild west lately,  a game there lasts  way longer than  the games here.  Also, if you don't  log in after 7 actual days   your  buildings will decay and  eventually  free up space (and reduce  lag) .. a great idea  Ylands  could  adopt ,  ----except currently a Ylands  mp game  cannot last more than a few days  before  becoming unplayable ...

Also  looking into  "the  dawn of man"  as  single player game  that has not only promise ,  but possible  expansion.

it also works .!

4 hours ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

That's a great idea! I'll pitch it to Aleš ?

1 hour ago, Indomitus said:

I don't think 7 days would be a good time frame for this game, though.  Not everyone plays online that often, and I know I wouldn't want things I've worked hard to build falling apart just because my RL took my attention away for a while.  14 or 21 days, maybe, once the servers are able to last that long.  If I'm away for that long, odds are I wouldn't care.

There might be more elegant solutions, like automatically optimizing everything inside a player's barrier when they log out, and re-enabling editing when they log back in (like turning build mode on or off for the ships).  For multi-player barriers (which were requested, but don't know if they'll be a thing) then it would be if any of the players logs on, or all of them are offline.

Or maybe we could have a special "construction" setting on the barrier itself, that we could turn on or off like with the ships.  That could also work to prevent accidentally deconstructing parts of our building when we're aiming at something else.

Anything outside of a barrier?  Let it "decay."

46 minutes ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

I've talked to Aleš about it and the problem would be, if two players collaborated on something, but then one stopped playing, parts of the building or construction would decay while others would not, which wouldn't seem fair and also if a Creator made something magnificent for other players and then left, It'd be a shame, if it got destroyed over time. But it has gotten our brain juices running and we'll try and think of an alternative, that could help in this regard ?

• Thanks 1

4 replies to this bug / suggestion

That's kind of why I'd suggested tying it to the protective barrier.  In Ylands, placing and turning on the barrier is our way of making a "permanent" home.  It would make sense for anything inside it to be protected against whatever clean-up routines get implemented in the game.  And it provides a mechanism for optimizing players' structures.

Edited by Indomitus

True, but I was more thinking of cases, where someone makes a spectacular castle (or something similar) for other players, but then it disappears because he doesn't log in. Or when you build something together (which usually I guess wouldn't go in the barrier) half of it would then potentially decay. But we're not ruling it out completely, just have to figure out the best way to make our servers survive as long as possible ?

In Outlaws the builds don't decay if any member of the guild looks at them. This is new, so I haven't seen it in play.

What I would like to see, is a way using the barrier to do a few things.

Starting with allowing it to be shareable using a password or a key. 

It should have an option to make things unpickable in game. It is annoying to spend hours making decor and display items only to have them get messed up. And it doesn't even have to be malicious.  How many times have you accidentally picked up a carpet in your own build? If there was a construction mode in the barrier, like on ships, it would be so much better.

Rather than decay, I want non-persistent avatars. And admin override of barrier protection. 

It is non abandoned builds that are a problem.  People are abandoning their builds because of the basic problems the game still has. Inventory and crafting issues, problems logging in, map death.  

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1