Sign in to follow this  
Indomitus

UNDER REVIEW [YLD-21696] Animated Trigger Zone not triggered by labeled blocks

In a game mode I'm working on, I have an animated trigger zone that follows the player.  It is configured to trigger when it encounters anything with a ZoneInteractable label.  It then hands off the trigger entity to the player's storage to decide what action to apply based on other labels that object has.  The zone is capsule shaped around the player.

The idea is that other players will have the label, as well as certain blocks and items that make up the play area.  One type of block, for example, is "lava" and should kill the player on contact.  This should be true no matter what type or size of block I use, as long as it has the LavaDeath label in addition to the ZoneInteractable label.  The play area is supposed to be dynamic, able to change between rounds for various fast and simple mini-games, so it's critical that the zone is able to trigger on any entity that has that label, no matter what.

The problem is that blocks will not trigger the zone at all unless the player contacts a CORNER of the block.  If I run up the side of a labeled 4x1x4 block, or jump on it from above, nothing happens.  The zone is not triggered.  But it is if I hit a corner.

I can use 1x1x1 blocks, but that could hurt performance, and if I weld them the trigger zone doesn't react to them no matter what.

I'm attaching some video, logs, and the scenario...  (The video is not exciting at all, but shows what the problem is.)

output_log.txt

output_log_clean.txt

MULTI-MODE PARTY.zip

Small capsule zones are not working correctly, apparently. Bottom and top round parts are not registering entities correctly. I have already reported this issue, so hopefully it will be fixed in the future. In the mean time, you can either change the zone to "block", or just instead of the zone following the player, just spawn zone above each block you place, that will trigger when player steps in it. 

Also, This way of detecting entities will not work correctly for entity welds. It might be possible in the future, but right now it will trigger only on the pivot points position. :/ 

• Thanks 2

I will try changing it to a block.  Spawning a zone for every piece would be too demanding on resources, and also complicate the algorithm I plan to build to generate the play area, which already has to take into account different kinds of labels for different behaviours.

A capsule shape would be better for player collision.  Maybe I can give the player 2 zones:  a block for play area items, and a capsule for player interaction.

Ooooooh that's why then...

I broke my wall and computer because it wasn't working with me.... 

Brain to body - - > see I told you the code was correct, why did you punched the wall? ?? j/k

• Haha 1