Sign in to follow this  
kimbuck

RESOLVED [YLD-6871] falling through earth and dieing

Question

It started after two sharks jumped aboard my large ship ...and i managed to kill them  however as they "died" and turned over,  they caused the ship to sink at the stern and a third shark  made a meal of me. I respawned on the  beach and could see  my ship with the dead sharks floating in the air  above the  deck, however when i tried to move i sank into the  ground and fell down through a network of unexplored  underground caverns  ..a long way down...and  then died. Respawning again,  same issue  no matter which way i tried to  move ..or   even  jump. re logging  did  not help. After 5 attempts  i gave up and  am starting a new game. Which is a shame as the current game was really interesting  and  a weeks  work of  crafting   and exploring.

Also a couple of times when  releasing  controls  of the ship,  my avatar  jumped and  got stuck in the cabin roof ..had to use fist to smash the roof  panels around me to release  my avataar

would be nice to have a previous  save logon feature  .

21 replies to this bug / suggestion

Have you tried the /unstuck command when you got yourself in any of those situations? It might be able to prevent you from falling.

• Upvote 1

thanks for that info ...will try if it happens again if i get stuck ...however the   falling  bit did not see the avatar stuck ...  it  just "fell" if i  moved any direction from the respawn spot. 

will look at the commands and educate myself ..as they say, if all else fails, then read the instructions  :-)

15 hours ago, Ane said:

Have you tried the /unstuck command when you got yourself in any of those situations? It might be able to prevent you from falling.

I think this sounds highly related to another bug (specifically with boats in general since 0.5)

More info about it can be found here - 

One way we found of fixing(ish) the issue, was to completely destroy the boat (not just sink it but hit it till it vanishes or delete it in the editor). However, as pointed out in the above post, there are several 'floating' bugs that all seem related at the moment.

• Upvote 1

Alright, we are in the process of fixing the bugs mentioned in your post, so if they're related once one is fixed the other one(s) will be too :)

• Upvote 1

I am also encountering this problem a lot since the last update, downside is while i am stuck to my middle (see screenshot) and use /unstuck a (align with terrain) it drops me even further and i keep falling until i use the command to spawn at beach or spawn point.

20170924202421_1.jpg

I fell partly into the land as well while running.   I was able to get out by going back to main menu then back into game and my avatar would rise up from the ground a little.  After doing it a few times avatar was out!   

Hi  @Ane here is the video about the Ylands racetrack with the same bug and the /unstuck V command that does not help.

• Upvote 1

Thanks! I added it to the issue description.

• Upvote 1

Can you guys add logs right after this issue happens, please?

Tried it on the steam version...... problem solved so far for me, have not gone trew the ground in over a hour :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, A3_Melle said:

Tried it on the steam version...... problem solved so far for me, have not gone trew the ground in over a hour :)

And I dont see holes in the ground.
Before, many holes were created and you had to put dirt in to fix the problem.
The game runs smoother and more stable than I could tell.

Edited by BigBoss87

There was a version on Steam for a short period of time on Tuesday and the day before where the issue manifested for all players. We found out the cause and fixed it.

The version that is on Steam since Tuesday evening does not suffer from the issue in the same manner anymore.

So logs from Steam version 37772 and above or from the launcher version are of the most interest to us, but all logs are welcome.

If any of you is still experiencing this issue, please let me know, we rolled a fix that will allow players to manually toggle an option, that will get rid of the problem at a performance cost.

The reason we do not want to toggle the option by default for everyone is that we are unable to reproduce the problem ourselves and the affected players seem to be in minority. We basically need your help to help us find out the cause.

We need the logs from the game sessions where you encountered the issue and ideally also DXDIAG of the machine you play on to identify what is causing the issue. We would be super grateful to those that experience it for checking whether it happens every time or just sometimes, DXDIAG, and sending us logs before enabling the toggle.

• Upvote 2

On 28/09/2017 at 7:32 AM, Ane said:

There was a version on Steam for a short period of time on Tuesday and the day before where the issue manifested for all players. We found out the cause and fixed it.

The version that is on Steam since Tuesday evening does not suffer from the issue in the same manner anymore.

So logs from Steam version 37772 and above or from the launcher version are of the most interest to us, but all logs are welcome.

If any of you is still experiencing this issue, please let me know, we rolled a fix that will allow players to manually toggle an option, that will get rid of the problem at a performance cost.

The reason we do not want to toggle the option by default for everyone is that we are unable to reproduce the problem ourselves and the affected players seem to be in minority. We basically need your help to help us find out the cause.

We need the logs from the game sessions where you encountered the issue and ideally also DXDIAG of the machine you play on to identify what is causing the issue. We would be super grateful to those that experience it for checking whether it happens every time or just sometimes, DXDIAG, and sending us logs before enabling the toggle.

I and anyone else trying to use boats in multiplayer are still having this issue >.<

Here's how you reproduce the problem your selves, or at least something related to it - this is not a minority issue at all, unless you also consider ships and multiplayer to only be interacted with by a minority of players, which would be incorrect.

I will show you one way to trigger this issue consistently, but please note this was originally posted in great detail, three weeks ago, prior to Steam release, and the people experiencing this issue are now widespread, not isolated, and these are game-breaking bugs.

Okay so, I first try to trigger the 'earthquaking' while in single player (by hopping on a raft), and it doesn't happen, then I enable multiplayer, and test the raft and it doesn't happen.

I then host a multiplayer session and join to it as a guest, and repeat the test - and the earthquaking is triggered with this method consistently. After triggering it, as I climb up the hillside, I am constantly falling under it and flying above it. Last time I tested this, I completely fell through the ground and fell to a frozen death!

I also tested horses as a guest in multiplayer, but they work okay (a bit odd walking but not triggering this effect after getting off a horse).

I'm not entirely sure if something other than boats in multiplayer can trigger this, but it's possible something like harvesting a plant or tree for sap etc, could be linked to it? As I've had it happen to me as a guest on multiplayer, without ever touching any boats. Most recently on a hosted version of race yland game mode, there was some kind of invisible sink-hole in the track, that seemed very similar in behaviour as I walked through it. I can only guess that all these issues are tied together somehow, it sort of seems like it could be somehow related to the weather and waves system, as it started happening at the same time these systems were introduced, and there is some strange interactions between waves and large boats (not floating etc), that can be observed by using an anchor on a boat, as a guest in multiplayer. This video is unlisted, and can be deleted once sufficiently observed.

The bug can be observed at 1:42. At around 6:45, you can notice that after sinking the raft, the bug continues up until the moment the raft touches the sea-floor, at which point the earthquaking stops.

Again, you can find more information about these particular bugs, in numerous posts throughout the forums, most of us are experiencing them, they are not isolated cases, they are game-breaking.

People play explore mode in multiplayer, some of those people build a ship, boat or raft and will thus encounter this bug - to say those people are a minority, is terribly inaccurate. As it stands, I can't play Ylands as a game, because I do multiplayer, and I do explore mode, and I do building a ship to explore with. So I've just been waiting patiently all month for a fix for this, so I can play again :S

I wanted to build a naval battle game mode with the new engines - but I can't because ships are bugged in multiplayer :(

@John wrong thread? as what your reporting is irrelevant to this thread and is more suited to

Also what you have reported has already been highlighted and reported by another.

On 9/28/2017 at 0:24 PM, -ghost-tf said:

Here is a vid of the stutter issue:

For the host everything is fine but for me as soon as I walk on a ship in multiplayer and walk off it the screen starts stuttering, the fps is fine though. Also I am not able to jump properly while on the ship, its as if the hull pulls me down, in the video you can see I was trying to jump on the wooden pier but as soon as I tried to jump it teleports me to the left and I fall in the water. These teleportation issues happen quite often while on the ship hull.

As a workaround for the stutter issue without having to kill yourself or relog, you can sit in a chair or bed and that will fix it.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, nohalfmeasures said:

@John wrong thread? as what your reporting is irrelevant to this thread and is more suited to

Also what you have reported has already been highlighted and reported by another.

How is it the wrong thread? It is directly related to the OP's question / bug, and all these bugs are related I believe. Read through the comments from the start please.

Hey John! Please do the following in order to get rid of the falling through the terrain issue (not the stuttering unfortunately, we are still working on that).

In Steam, go to Ylands launch options (Steam Library -> RMB Ylands -> Properties -> GENERAL tab -> SET LAUNCH OPTIONS button)
Enter: '--b_ThreadedColliderCooking:0' without quotes.

Letting you know the the  sinking and  stuck in the ground issue happened twice to me in the last  hour...fortunately i had a spade and  dug myself out.

I  had a full inventory, and was carrying back to my base a load of marble  rock and  dirt ..could  that have  something to do with the issue?

When i decided to log out, i got after the save message    a pop up   a widows message "Ylands.exe has stopped working  etc..

Well  it happened again!  5 days  hard work lost!  fell  through  earth and  died  ...again!

Looks like i have to go  into a cave and  try to  find my corpse ..if i can find the cave   entrance or  area

Was coming back after mining ore and was collecting cotton on the way ..and within sight of  my ship ...  and   suddenly sank through  the earth ...and   landed somewhere where something  clobbered me...  respawned and  went back to area... theres a cave  nearby  so  might  have to find a way through it to where my corpse is,  otherwise i   lost the lot    Chances of   finding   very low!. very frustrating!

Log file attached.

would be appreciated if i could be  resurrected  ... prior to the "swallowing"

output_log.txt

What a day!  i managed after respawn to get back to my ship ... and  decided to return to base  and  re-arm and come back and   locate my corpse with its belongings/inventory . With  no map,  and  seagulls  just as lost  as  i was..it took 3 hours(!) sailing around dodging  sharks  storms and avoiding uncharted shoals...eventually, with some luck, i  found my base!

So ..i restocked  boat with  food  ( i used 90% of  stores on boat trying  to find  home)  and re-armed myself and crafted a new map, i  then returned to  the place of my underground demise.

Despite searching  caverns,  dodging  monsters  and other strange  noisy things... i  could not  locate  my corpse  with all those inventory items. And  I had  over 100  crossbow  bolts  too when i  disappeared beneath the soil...luckily  i left my revolver and 10  bullets  home

I checked  every cavern  branch  under where i  fell through.  Nothing!

So,  giving up on that idea...    will try and  gather some more  resources from that  yland  and heading   home... hoping  it  doesn't happen again.

I  noticed that this    sinking/stuck    issue  occurs when you are carrying ores, stone or  dirt..  could it be linked to that earlier  issue  about  avatars falling through  stacked  items?

Going to  give   Ylands a rest  for a day  or  two  ...as this issue is so frustrating.  I Hope the next  update  makes things  better, as i would like to  progress further  into the game  without  being  terminated! It gets  boring having to restart over and over...

Fighting  bears  and pumas, panthers  wolves  etc and  to  die  then respawning,  or  winning a battle  are part of the game...  but  random acts of  earth swallowing ruining progress??  I nearly  gave  up today  from frustration, especially   as i have  spent  several days preparing for the  next  phase  of progress 

I think i solved it ..  !:D

My Other half  watching here pointed out  earlier  the  message   by  ane  to  john... to  set  ThreadedColliderCooking ..  to fix the issue - that had been done   but  looking through my  log he noticed that when i entered that command... i   left off the  colon  between  ...Cooking  and  the  zero!  ( adjusts  glasses and squints...) Thats the  problem ???¬¬

Will see how  things go now ...cannot  rewind back  bu  can rebuild. While searching  for lost  corpse, before  giving p on search I  found a  vein of    Gold!    yay!;)