Gizmow

UNDER REVIEW Can't unlock doors.

Question

I recently got back into playing Ylands to check out the Exploration features. I played for about 3 days without issue. About 2-3 weeks ago I log in and am locked out of my house. I decided to wait and see if some hotfix would be released, just in case it was a bug from an update. I have the keys on my keychain and also tried taking them off to unlock the doors 1 by 1, but no go. I also can't target my barrier, see the radius, or destroy any of the tiles on my structure. It's as if I don't own the building anymore. Already tried verifying files, not expecting it to work, and it didn't. I have no idea what could have happened. I can still lock and unlock the doors on my ship. If anyone else has encountered/resolved this, any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

11 replies to this bug / suggestion

They did away with the barriers a few updates ago. Try using a demolition hammer on your door. It will give you the materials back. If the game is multiplayer make sure whoever owns the map has given you permission to use the hammer and weapons and modify the terrain. Now the "barrier" is basically in the multiplayer settings. The owner of the map gives permissions as to what players can and cannot do according to their status as friend, clan, and non-friends. 

Edited by spiritchaser28
  • Upvote 1

If what spirit is suggesting doesn't work, please try and do the unlock again and immediately after get the game logs and send them to me. 

That way we can check what's wrong :) 

• Like 1

Spiritchaser by "demolition hammer" I assume you mean the normal iron hammer. I did try that. Swung it like 30 times with no luck. The multiplayer settings I have not messed with, but did take a look at since you mentioned them. I am not part of a clan or have any friends in game and everything is set to visitor. Nikki, I am willing to, but unsure how I would go about acquiring the game logs to send them to you. If you could tell me how then I will attempt to unlock 2 or 3 doors to get the message and then send game logs in hopes of figuring out what is going on. Thank you both for quick replies.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gizmow said:

Spiritchaser by "demolition hammer" I assume you mean the normal iron hammer. I did try that. Swung it like 30 times with no luck. The multiplayer settings I have not messed with, but did take a look at since you mentioned them. I am not part of a clan or have any friends in game and everything is set to visitor. Nikki, I am willing to, but unsure how I would go about acquiring the game logs to send them to you. If you could tell me how then I will attempt to unlock 2 or 3 doors to get the message and then send game logs in hopes of figuring out what is going on. Thank you both for quick replies.

This is the demolition hammer. Don't use the iron hammer. The demolition hammer allows you to click a block once and get the materials back. https://ylands.fandom.com/wiki/Demolition_Hammer

If everbody is set to visitor status then you won't be able to modify terrain, build anything or use the demolition hammer, you also will not be able to capture blueprints. If you are a citizen you can place and destroy entities but cannot capture blueprints, and if you are mayor you have full control over terrain modification, building and destroying entities and capturing blueprints. 

So basically your issue is because you are visitor you won't be able to do a thing to the door or anything else. If you own the map make yourself mayor and you should be good to go.

I am not seeing anywhere to set myself as mayor, unless I am misunderstanding the settings. I have attached 2 photos of my multiplayer settings. On the first one I am set to single player, I believe this is how it has always been set. On the second photo, I translate it as My Clan/Friends/Others have visitor privileges. That is assuming I had a Clan/Friends/or Others. When going back and checking this stuff out I realized I do have 1 person on my friends list, but I have not spoken with them for a long time.

multi.PNG

multi2.PNG

So I am assuming since you can actually access those settings it is your map. This definitely seems to be a glitch. My guess is it has been a while since you played and came in after an update and something went wrong with your map functions....or they updated the door style and/or keys. I have seen it happen with the wooden door with the lion head knocker..... but with those settings you should be mayor. Did you make the demolition hammer? The Iron hammer does not work.

Also I am understanding that you have not played for a while since you were talking about the barrier not working. It just may be the map you are playing on is outdated.

Try making the demolition hammer....not the iron hammer. And see if you can deconstruct the door with it......if not....then the map may have other glitches and I would recommend sending the output logs in bug reports.

@Nikki SeverinHow can we have the game set single player but have a player count of 8? That never made sense to me.

Edited by spiritchaser28

23 hours ago, spiritchaser28 said:

So I am assuming since you can actually access those settings it is your map. This definitely seems to be a glitch. My guess is it has been a while since you played and came in after an update and something went wrong with your map functions....or they updated the door style and/or keys. I have seen it happen with the wooden door with the lion head knocker..... but with those settings you should be mayor. Did you make the demolition hammer? The Iron hammer does not work.

Also I am understanding that you have not played for a while since you were talking about the barrier not working. It just may be the map you are playing on is outdated.

Try making the demolition hammer....not the iron hammer. And see if you can deconstruct the door with it......if not....then the map may have other glitches and I would recommend sending the output logs in bug reports.

@Nikki SeverinHow can we have the game set single player but have a player count of 8? That never made sense to me.

Looking into this! Thanks :) 

• Thanks 1

Ok, it took me a min since I had to find clay because everything was locked inside my house :D I was able to make a demo hammer and it did let me break a door. After doing that I thought I might  be able to unlock one of the other doors, but still no luck. I built a new door and tried to use 2 different blank keys to lock it, but it gave me the same message "Key does not match the lock". The door remains unlocked as it is new, and I can open and close it. I also tried opening the doors from inside the house. Could it be that there are too many doors? (7 or 8 doors, and 3 safes) I also removed the old barrier using the demo hammer, but still unable to lock or unlock. If you would like to tell me how to go about acquiring the game logs once I attempt using a key or 2, then I would be happy to provide them. I just hope I don't end up needing to move my base, as it's a lot of stuff, gathered through much adventuring :)  Thank you for the continued help and timely responses.

On 1/25/2022 at 3:01 AM, Gizmow said:

Ok, it took me a min since I had to find clay because everything was locked inside my house :D I was able to make a demo hammer and it did let me break a door. After doing that I thought I might  be able to unlock one of the other doors, but still no luck. I built a new door and tried to use 2 different blank keys to lock it, but it gave me the same message "Key does not match the lock". The door remains unlocked as it is new, and I can open and close it. I also tried opening the doors from inside the house. Could it be that there are too many doors? (7 or 8 doors, and 3 safes) I also removed the old barrier using the demo hammer, but still unable to lock or unlock. If you would like to tell me how to go about acquiring the game logs once I attempt using a key or 2, then I would be happy to provide them. I just hope I don't end up needing to move my base, as it's a lot of stuff, gathered through much adventuring :)  Thank you for the continued help and timely responses.

Hey! 

We need both output_log.txt and output_log_clean.txt 
and you can find them here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ylands\Ylands_Data :) 

Send them over and we'll have a look :) 

• Like 1

Alright. I have a couple files here. The first 2 I am linking are while I still have the game open and I have JUST tried to unlock the door and I tab out to get the files. The 2nd upload is after trying to unlock the door I close the game so it saves and then copy files after fulling exiting the game.

output_log.txt

output_log_clean.txt

• Like 1