SandyT

Thoughts on game after playing for 7,936 hours

Ylands has grown and changed a lot since I started playing the early access game. Most of the changes have been wonderful, but some of them have definitely lessened my enjoyment of the game. The last several updates have unfortunately come with several changes that are making it harder for me to enjoy the game. Most of the "nerfing" of items is frustrating, but adding cobalt to making a copper wire seems a bit of a stretch. It seems like you are working to make the game harder with the nerfing you are doing and with enemies that can kill you, but you can't fight back, like sharks and ghosts. It seems to me that the "kill anything that moves before it kills you" type of game is a dime a dozen. I really dislike those games as it is very stressful to me, but it seems you want to make Ylands one of those games. The part I love about Ylands is the multiplayer where you set your barrier and can be neighbors with people you don't know, but you can "meet" them and make new friends and help each other out. The latest thing that is draining my enjoyment of the game is not having the ability to turn the weather off any longer. I was so excited to search for the new island types to start my new home, but the weather has become a serious impediment to that. I know weather exists in real life, but it doesn't need to be so extreme in the game. Of the short amount of daylight hours I have to search islands, a good portion of those are spent waiting for the fog the clear enough that I can see, or the rain to stop so I can avoid objects in the water, and then wait on the fog to lift again. I'm losing my excitement over the game and that makes me very sad. I'm probably in the minority here, but I want my Ylands to be fun again. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Have you tried sleeping to skip the bad weather? You don't have to skip whole days, you can use the leave button to stop sleeping instantly, it makes it easy to check if the weather has cleared yet (I do this  when waiting to tame the mythical animals). In terms of the sharks, are you using the fish repellant flares and capsules to deter them? Usually you just need to light one and if it's active in your hot bar then it's working and you can continue swimming and mining deposits and harvesting resources etc. Normally the shark will go away after a couple of flares and you swimming in the opposite direction until your out of sight.

Also, hold out for the next patch/update as they are working on rebalancing the ranged weapons so they aren't so weak any more. A big thing with the new elemental system is knowing what each enemy is vulnerable or resistant to. It may not be obvious at first but when you strike an enemy a little visual cue shows how effective it was, for example, using a fire weapon will show fire animation on the enemy when you hit them and it will be larger if it was more effective because that enemy was vulnerable to fire attacks. They are working on making these visual cues more obvious too I believe. It can be tricky working out and remembering what each enemy is vulnerable/resistant to though so I've added those stats to the wiki on each of the individual enemies pages. Stone Golems for example are 75% resistant to ranged weapons so shooting them isn't ideal, however they have 0% resistance to Energy weapon attacks so smacking them with something like the Slammer Hammer (was the Zirconium Hammer) or the Knight's Club will deal much more damage to it.

• Like 1

@handofthesly Thank you for the information, it is encouraging. I do sleep intermittently to try to avoid bad weather, but I still believe that the amount of visibility reduction is overdone. I'm playing to have fun, not sit here and watch the screen without interacting at all. I had purchased another version of Ylands under the Windows shop and I completely deleted all my progress to start from the beginning. Without my prop and rifle, I have discovered that it takes 12 bolts from an iron crossbow to kill a bear, about 8 or 9 to kill wolves and big cats, . . . . . . . Not only is that a ridiculous amount of ammo, it also takes quite a bit of my precious daylight, and most importantly, it seems like work instead of fun. I apologize, I try to stay positive, but maybe my blood sugar is crashing. I love this game and it is making me very sad to be having these issues with it. I'll check your wiki for ideas, but right now, all I have is sword mace, and a spear along with my crossbow. I don't have any of the other types of weapons yet. I'll work on expanding my knowledge of weapons in the mean time. Again, thanks for letting me know about the different vulnerabilities of adversaries. Sandy

• Like 1

Thank you so much to both of you. Feedbacks like this are really important to us and we appreciate you are taking time to let us know. 🙏

• Like 2