Nikki Severin

Dev Diary #307 A New Resident in Taiga

Ahoy Ylanders!

We're thrilled to share some behind-the-scenes insights from our 3D artist department about a new animal coming to the Taiga region in Update 2.3. This is going to be a great one so you will have to wait a bit longer for it.

The Creative Journey: From Squirrels to Cows
Our journey began with an open slot in the Taiga region, prompting our designer to suggest adding a new animal. The first idea was a giant squirrel, but animation challenges led us to brainstorm further. We then played with the idea of something prehistoric and herbivorous, like a dinosaur. Imagine that in Ylands! However, we soon realized that the best idea was right in front of us, especially with the upcoming 2.2 update bringing encounters reminiscent of the bygone cowboy era. Our designer, Pypse (who often interacts with you on our Discord), came up with a brilliant idea: a cow.

Merging Utility with Aesthetics: The Taiga Cow
This cow isn't just an animal; it's a symbol of our commitment to blending utility with aesthetics. It animates well, is great for riding, can be milked, and fits perfectly with the Taiga's cowboy theme. Deciding on the type of cow was challenging, with numerous breeds to choose from. We settled on the unique Highland cattle, known for its shaggy coat.
DD_307_Steam_1920x1080_04.png

Artistic Challenge: The Highland Cattle Model
Creating a model of the Highland cattle required special attention to its distinctive, shaggy fur. Thanks to our team of experienced artists, we found a fantastic direction for stylization, making our cow model a work of art. We're excited to show you the initial versions of the fur!

DD_307_Steam_1920x1080_02.png

Bringing the Cow to Life: Sounds and Animations
In the Ylands team, we hope you'll also appreciate the sounds and animations of this noble Taiga creature, integral to our thoughtful stylization process. We're in the process of creating those, so stay tuned!

Thank You, Community
Your feedback is crucial as we continue to develop and refine our game. We're grateful for your participation in the Ylands community. Your adventures, challenges, and achievements inspire us every day and we are so excited to hear what you think about this furry cow addition to Ylands.

Happy exploring in Ylands, and we can't wait for you to meet our newest Taiga resident!

Stay Classy!

• Like 4
  • Fire 1

OMG!! YES! Chickens in 2.2 and Cows in 2.3 - my 2 favorite farm animals that were missing. Thank you, thank you!!!!!

• Like 2

On 1/19/2024 at 9:35 PM, SandyT said:

OMG!! YES! Chickens in 2.2 and Cows in 2.3 - my 2 favorite farm animals that were missing. Thank you, thank you!!!!!

Oh, are chickens coming to Ylands? I must have missed that! Was that shared on discord or some livestream?:D

1 hour ago, Miguel Preguisa said:

Oh, are chickens coming to Ylands? I must have missed that! Was that shared on discord or some livestream?:D

Nope, the sneaky buggers kept it from us and we only found out when they launched the 2.2 Experimental branch and we found them!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, handofthesly said:

Nope, the sneaky buggers kept it from us and we only found out when they launched the 2.2 Experimental branch and we found them!

The experimental branch is out? The university is making me disconnected from the really important things! 

Edited by Miguel Preguisa

49 minutes ago, Miguel Preguisa said:

The experimental branch is out? The university is making me disconnected from the really important things! 

Yup, read this post for details, unfortunately we have been experiencing issues where it goes down over the weekends so haven't been able to play it for a few days. Won't be long until the actual update happens I imagine. 

• Fire 1