Aleš Ulm

Sneak Peek #42

Hey there, fellow ylanders!

This Sneak Peek will be rather short but there’s a good reason for that. November is here and with the 0.6 Countless Colors update around the corner we’re extremely busy testing everything works as it's supposed to. Let me use this post to summarize the most important features you’ll get with this update, which is probably the largest we’ve done so far.

* Firstly the new painting system that lets you change the color of most of the assets in the game with the exception of flora (that should come in the game rather soon) and terrain (for that the terrain system first needs to undergo a massive rewrite)

* Special containers like herb pouch and key chain, that you can craft, keep in your inventory and use to store things like herbs, keys and many others

* Padlocks - both ones with keys and those that use codes or passwords - that can be used to lock many interactive objects in-game including ships and cars

* Many improved animations and a new character control system. Actually, an extreme amount of effort went into this. Not only the character feels more responsive now, but the system is now clean and open for many cool future improvements

WallArt2.PNG
Clean wall... check. Paintgun ready... check. No one around... check. Art, here I go!!

* New interactive ambient audio system. When you hear raindrops hitting large palm leaves right next to you for the first time you’ll understand :) 

* New GUI sounds

* Enhancement to Editor scripting. We’re introducing something that will let you keep track of your game progress, create car races and similar games. It may not sound like much but this feature takes possible interactions to the next level.

* Cosmetics store. The first iteration of the Cosmetics store is filled with first items so that we can test it. 

* The first iteration of the new radial menu that lets you quickly access new emotes and tools like Terraformer or the newly introduced Paintgun

* Improved crafting “tech tree”

* New, more advanced MP list screen

* Tons of fixes and tweaks

And that's it - it's quite a lot, right? 

I’ll see you next week in a special Dev Diary where I’ll talk about what we have in store for you, who have helped us get where we are right now :) Until then - have a great time and stay classy! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Hi
Yes, many good things!
When do you plan to release this update?
I cant wait to try all these new features :)

15 minutes ago, BigBoss87 said:

When do you plan to release this update?

In less than 2 weeks! #hype

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, A3_Melle said:

Nice! Looking fowerd to this update (and especially the "paintgun") :)

It's like "Give me that gun right now :)"

21 minutes ago, Ane said:

In less than 2 weeks! #hype

Thank you!

• Upvote 1

I'm really looking forward to this patch, it seems that there's a lot more content, especially for this short time in between patches :) A few quesions:

Will there be any improvements on the dedicated servers?

And will the Coyns system be introduced along the new item store? Or will it be more like a placeholder/testing kind of store.

Edit: one more question: can we paint stone in a sandstone color for example? And if so, why wouldn't I make everything out of wood? It's easy and safe to get, renewable and environmentally friendly :D 

Adrie

Edited by WijkagentAdrie

On 3. 11. 2017 at 10:23 PM, WijkagentAdrie said:

Edit: one more question: can we paint stone in a sandstone color for example?

Yes you can. You can pick up the color from sandstone block and apply it to any other block or item.

Edited by Rudy.cz
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rudy.cz said:

Yes you can. You can pick up the color from sandstone block and apply it to any other block or item.

Thanks for the answer :) Could you also shed a light on how this is gonna affect balancing? For example, why would I go to the desert to get sandstone if I can just get stone and paint it? :P Even more so with marble which is fairly rare to get.

Adrie

• Haha 1

Well you can either go and get sandstone, or collect and craft enough pigment to colour your stone blocks yellow, which also takes some time collecting and crafting, so there's some effort either way ;). Also Sandstone and Stone don't have the same amount of HP.

19 hours ago, WijkagentAdrie said:

Thanks for the answer :) Could you also shed a light on how this is gonna affect balancing? For example, why would I go to the desert to get sandstone if I can just get stone and paint it? :P Even more so with marble which is fairly rare to get.

Adrie

Well, actually by "pick up" color I meant that you can learn the color and save it in your pallete, but still you will have to have enough pigment to actually paint anything. Also the color will mix with underlaying pattern, which governs saturation. So by painting plain stone to marble you will not get you true marble :-p

Here is an example

image.png

• Upvote 1