kimbuck

updated survival tips for new Ylanders

With the  recent  updates, and the availability of Ylands on steam Dec. 6 2017, some of the previous tips  are no longer appicable

It can be frustrating  arriving, not  knowing whats what and ending up as  a predator meal. Hers some tips ...not  spoilers..

1) Note  your  spawn point and  construct  something to help identify it. This is so later on when you v have items you can  come back and enhance it with items   needed to survive.

During the game,  visit it often and place  some  containers...  put in the containers  superseded weapons... ie   stone  spears    wood spears     etc.  Also put in some  basic  clothing,  a torch, flint lighter,  food  axe  knife and wood pieces  etc. place a marker thats  hightly  visible...and  also add a lantern. if you are so inclined  maybe a small log  shelter.  Some  wooden  spikes will  help to act as a  anti predator  barrier.

2) Upon  Initial  arrival, look for  grass flint, stone and  sticks.  Craft a knife . then you can fashion a wooden spear .. great for initial defense.  Collect and  store feathers for  later weapons, and stock up on food.

3) Predators....  if you see sharks near the shore  they could be   guarding an escape  route for a  land  predator  or  two nearby. When  exploring  do not  run   everywhere...  take  small  movements,  keeping to higher areas so you can look down on any predators and  scan around you

4) weapons ..  spears   are  essential early in the game for  close in defense.    as your crafting   expands.   grab a  sabre....  very  effective against  wolves and  pumas etc.  Crossbows are the best for long  range stealth attack on bears,  but not for  wolves as they will rush you and the  bow /  crossbow  reload  time is  not  quick enough

5) Predator  characteristics... bears  will awaken and  search for your scent ...   keep back and   kill at long range with a bow/crossbow..   close in combat with a sabre if a surprise attack. Wolves    will growl and warn ....wait then attack ..a sabre  is the best,  a   spear  2nd choice. Try to move to a higher  open area  otherwise your weapon will miss the beast and  strike  nearby  objects  instead.  Wolves are on packs ..if you find one,  scan for others    usually   3  or  4     sometimes more.  Sometimes  they lurk near other predators  like   bears or  pumas etc!  Pumas and   leopards  etc   give little  warning and  spring  surprise attacks   and  can be  hard to see ..if  you are at a safe distance   a  bow/crossbow   is effective.  Again  after  killing one,  scan for other predators  before  claiming the hide and meat.

6)Storage of items in your base .. I craft stone letters    to identify whats in any container ..which i place around the walls  (  cu = copper, fe=  iron  Sa   = saltpeter,   etc     also  cabinets with tools ) Place a  container  with  wood  pieces and  any ores  close to  your  smelter/ forge/.kiln

7)  doors...  construct them to keep unwanted  animals  out..  place near them  spears to grab in an emergency

8)  Build your  base on a shoreline where there's a  deep water area  nearby ... construct a   dockyard where you can  build  your ships and  use place tp put in temporary  wooden poles as a barricade   around your  dock  entrance to keep sharks  out  while  you are  building.

Construct a tower  on your  base    fitted with  lanterns or  other forms of   lighting,  to make   your  base  locatable   from land or  sea approach. Place   columns with lamps  at the  entrance of your dock  as a guide.

9)  construct  multiple  weapons and their  ammo for  placement on you  base, ship, and  spawn point..  so you have  something to   use  if you  lose a battle  with a predator  etc.  When  exploring, only  take with you  essentials...

10 )  craft a map  and pencil and place in dynamic  area ..  to  record  where you are.. check map often to see where you are in case you get " terminated"  and therefore you will have an idea where t your tombstone is  and you can recover  your  items.  Check to see if your penci is not   broken ..if it is your map may not  update

11) when stopping to read map or  eat,  choose a elevated point where you can have  uninterrupted  360 degree view around you,  to  thwart any surprise attack by  lurking predators.

12)  sharks  will attack your  boat especially  if  you are sleeping on it.. or  away from the helm  feeding... place helm and  any sleeping  bed a  good  distance from stern.  If you put a brazier on your ship  to keep warm,   make sure its  covered 3 sides from the weather.   Put containers  around the sides of  you ship as a  barrier  to prevent   falling off  your  ship.

whew   that's all for  now    others will ad more tips  for  sure.   have  fun!:D

Addendum:

If you encounter a  strange  bug or  glitch,  copy   your   logfile  to an  area in the forums  before you try and re log ..( its location etc   can be found in  correspondence  there)   ..that way the developers  will see the data that caused  the  issue,  as that file  is  automatically  cleared  on log in

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Regarding the sixth point, the new Paintgun is super effective help for marking different containers ;)

Ahh yes!  great idea...:D

Ships and  exploring....

Sharks will harass you and  try to  board your  ship whenever  you  release the controls  to   eat, sleep or read map. Try  extending the  stern of your ship and  fitting around the waterline and  just above it,  iron spikes.  these can do damage  to you too, so be  careful in that area

Make  a weatherproof  cabin / sleeping area   fitted with a brazier  for  warmth in cold  regions...enclose the  brazier 3 sides  and  a  cover  to  stop it  going out in  rainy  weather.

Place storage  containers  around the  sides  as  barriers and to   carry  any  plunder in. 

Take  with you  in containers..  Food,  weapons and  ammo  in addition to what you are  carrying,  stone blocks and logs  to  construct  piers etc to the land at your destination.  Also include  warm weather and  cold  weather  clothing.  Place  spears   near the mast to  repel  any sharks  that  get to frisky.

I construct side Armour  and  fit   stairs   leading  down to a  platform near the bow.  That way i can   gently  ease my ship close to the shore and  from the  platform   drop  dirt  into the  shoals to  form a  bridge to  the  shore. You can easily  reverse  your  ship away  when leaving.

Lanterns ...place them  near the  entry points of your  ship and   near the  helm area. predators  dont like  light,  so planting a lantern at the  end of your pier acts as a  deterrent  to any  predator cornering  you if you  have to run back to your ship.

Craft and take a fishing rod....  easy  food and   fish are easier to  catch  than in  real life:P

Carry  tools and a repair  kit,  spare rope and  don't  forget your map ..and a back up  pencil.  Make a copy of  your map   on paper  near your mouse ...so  you can  indicate  where certain  Ylands   are and   also what resources/climate   are/is there.

A crossbow is  a great  weapon  ... craft spares and collect   feathers ...    you can  dispose of  some predators   on the  shoreline  from your  ship before  embarking,  and carry  materials  for crafting  more ammo, ie resin  flint   sticks..

Stormy  weather ...  its best to anchor  your ship and lower sails and ride the  storm out,  otherwise in the gloom  etc   you could run aground and its not  fun digging your ship out  with sharks  around.

When releasing  controls  to  eat or  read map  etc ..  step back and  face away from your  helm .. that's so you cannot  accidentally  destroy   your helm with a punch or  two. ( I have done it and its a long swim  back to  get materials to  replace it ...  carry spares  just in case¬¬ )

I find a large  ship with  2 masts is  adequate..and i  use   stone  panels  to  widen the  deck and put a buffer between  myself and   any sharks.  My  decks  overhang the sides of  my dock  so its  easy to  jump  off after   docking,  and i have a staircase  and   deck  high level platform to  assist in  jumping on  to the  ship...handy if there are sharks  around your pier/dock.

I will post pics  of  my ship when its  finished ..  but  previous  posts  by me  show  my  first attempts  ...seem more  successful than others.

Ok  Coffee time...  with a dash of   rum xD 

Ohter Ylanders,  please,   add more suggestions  ... 

• Thanks 1

The question  has been asked ...how to get to shore avoiding sharks  etc? 

My solution is to build a causeway from the front of my ship to the shoreline. I constructed my ship with access  stairs to a waterline platform at  the bow.

I ease my ship  up to a   shoal  and stop before it runs aground  ...then from the platform   dump soil   into the shallow water to build  up a causeway   from the ship to the shore.

I then place  stone panels to cover the gap  up to the platform.. to avoid   falling  into the  jaws of  sharks :D

When placing the  dirt etc  make  sure  you dont  block your ships  ability to reverse20171203194234_1.thumb.jpg.606d055a77e03e1d2502da68dcad9cb3.jpg out into  deeper water.

Another tip  for  exploring  new yalnds.

From the  screenshot,  you can see how i have constructed   stairs and platforms   at the bow of my ship. What i have done here is   eased my ship  to as close as the shore as possible,  where there is  shallow water between the  ship bow  and the shore.  I then used  dirt ( carried in a container on the ship )   to construct a causeway from the ship bow  platform to the shore.  If  needed, a stone panel  can be carefully  placed   so there is  no  gap between the  ship and the  causeway.

20171205165706_1.jpg

Tips  when  dealing  with  wolves .. they will rush you, and they are usually in packs  of  3  or   more. If  you have a  long range weapon ,   such as a bow or  crossbow,  take a long range shot and if you hit   one,  it will  get up and run around ..wait  until it  stops  and  try another shot.  But if its  comes toward  you  switch to a close range weapon, such as a saber.    try  to  stand in a clearing  so your   saber will  no be deflected  by surrounding  objects.  If you  hear a wolf.. stop and  arm, and  scan around ..   there could be  2 or more  so  wait   and  see where the threat is  coming  from.  If you spot  2  wolves  fairly close together,  don't  take the fight to them ... the  both will rush you ... so  move away and  try a long range  shot  to  split the group.  When you   go to claim the skin and meat, watch out  for other predators  lurking nearby.

Do not  try a  close  range attack with a  bear. they are powerful and it takes a lot to kill one.   Try hitting them  from long  range with a bow/crossbow  etc  and if they come towards you ....well   arm  yourself  with a saber or sword and   fight like   mad!  A bear  can outrun you,  so always opt  for  the  long range attack and  don't  pursue them .. they  will double  back.

A good idea is to  stand in a clear  spot, and  start  swinging movements  with  your  saber/sword before the  predator  attacks .. that way  if there's  grass o3  sticks  in the  way they will be destroyed  giving you a  clean  hit when the predator  closes in.

Keep smiling  :D

Edited by kimbuck
my spelling is better than the spellchecker

Also as a beginner don't pick up everything you can possibly pick up. You will run out of inventory very quickly and beginning containers are quite small. keep with the essentials they mention in this post. you can pick up shells and other things further on in the game. 

If you find a place near the sea that has a  small beach and a soil / sand outcrop ...   level the soil at the outcrop  base and  use it to drop items for  temp. storage ..and  construct a  temporary  log  roof  out  from the top of the  outcrop for  protection. that way, with some  log  side walls   the only access is  via the ocean or   a  small gap either side...   so a  night time  fire there will offer protection from most predators.  If the place is suitable  for a base,  construct a   stone or  other structure around and over it, and  demolish  the  wooden  temp  bits.  You expand the  base  by  digging  back into the outcrop.

On 11/29/2017 at 5:04 AM, kimbuck said:

4) weapons ..  spears   are  essential early in the game for  close in defense.    as your crafting   expands.   grab a  sabre....  very  effective against  wolves and  pumas etc.  Crossbows are the best for long  range stealth attack on bears,  but not for  wolves as they will rush you and the  bow /  crossbow  reload  time is  not  quick enough

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere yet, so I think its fair to have it as a reply here: while sabers look cool, they're actually relatively bad at damage. After some extensive testing by spawning mutated bear alphas (I think its the highest HP mob currently in game, please correct me if I'm wrong) in creative and testing each possible weapon, the ones that take less hits to kill 'em are the war hammer and the lance (if you prefer polearms). With seven strikes, they use one less strike to kill a mutated bear compared with the several weapons in the second tier. Second tier notable mentions are the iron mace and iron spear.

Finally, on the third tier you have a large number of weapons, this is where the saber and war axe fall in. Those require 10 hits total to kill a mutated bear alpha. The pitchfork might be the actual single entry in the third tier (9 hits) but since it is the only weapon, to my recollection, that took 9 hits to kill a mutated bear alpha, I've lumped it together with the 10 hit ones as being the third tier ^_^

Since the difference in resources to craft a saber vs. a war hammer is minimal (2 extra iron ingots) and easily achievable early game, I see little reason to use anything else. Just gotta keep in mind that it counts for everything that requires a hammer to craft, so make sure to not make your only weapon into a repair kit by accident. :D

• Upvote 1

The sabre is not effective  against  bears ..i  agree with that from experience!  bears  are  best dealt with  by long range weapons  where you can have time to flee as they  require  multiple hits to  kill.

But  against   surprise attacks  by pumas and   " a Wolf"  it is effective .. unfortunately  the  wolves are in packs and if your not  careful  you can blunder into a group of  four resting  undetected.

40 minutes ago, kimbuck said:

The sabre is not effective  against  bears ..i  agree with that from experience!  bears  are  best dealt with  by long range weapons  where you can have time to flee as they  require  multiple hits to  kill.

But  against   surprise attacks  by pumas and   " a Wolf"  it is effective .. unfortunately  the  wolves are in packs and if your not  careful  you can blunder into a group of  four resting  undetected.

Right, but that's not really my main point. The sabre, and other third tier weapons, do less damage across the board, to any animal (and objects) than second tier weapons, and those do less damage than the two first tier ones (iron lance and war hammer).

To clarify: I don't believe that it is because bears are more resistant to sabers or anything of the sort, but rather that things like regular wolves (2 hits to kill from any weapon between third tier and first tier) don't have enough hit points for you to notice the difference. In fact, mutated alpha bears take A LOT of crossbow, bow and gun shots to kill. Of those, iron crossbows do surprisingly well (18 shots with a wooden crossbow vs. 12 with an iron one, pistol or regular makes no difference in damage). Bolt action rifles need only 8 shots, and repeating rifles 15, but you can fire repeating rifles a lot faster, so both of those are better than crossbows but require a lot more technology progression and arguably have more expensive ammo. Flintlock rifles are both slow and low damage, at also 15 shots to kill. Double-barrel shotgun takes 9 shots, pump action only 8 and fires faster. A double-barrel revolver uses 12 shots (24 ammo), while a regular revolver also uses 12 shots but only 12 ammo. An iron bow takes 14 shots.

I think the devs still have to do some weapon balancing there, judging from those numbers - the double barrel guns in particular seem way off in the damage chart.

Edit: If one is using a saber for thematic or aesthetic concerns, that's fine, but its not very attractive in terms of efficiency. Only two extra iron for the best damage melee weapon in the game leaves very little reason, other than looks, to choose a saber.

Edited by vforventura

5 hours ago, vforventura said:

Right, but that's not really my main point. The sabre, and other third tier weapons, do less damage across the board, to any animal (and objects) than second tier weapons, and those do less damage than the two first tier ones (iron lance and war hammer).

Don't the weapons have different swing speeds though? Would it not be better to measure the effectiveness based on how long it takes to kill an animal rather than how many hits? I *thought* the sabre had a faster swing speed, but i could be wrong... 

20 minutes ago, Paul Husiw said:

Don't the weapons have different swing speeds though? Would it not be better to measure the effectiveness based on how long it takes to kill an animal rather than how many hits? I *thought* the sabre had a faster swing speed, but i could be wrong... 

I don't think they actually do. If there's any difference in hit speed, its small enough that I personally can't notice it during testing. Not for melee weapons, at any rate. Short of having someone really quick with a stopwatch, or someone reverse-engineering the game files to check this, from my personal experience the war hammer is the weapon of choice if you want to take an enemy out in melee range while taking as few hits as possible yourself.

It bears mentioning that polearms (lances, spears, pitchforks) tend to be kinda weird to aim in third person view, that is definitely a factor, and both firing and reloading speed is a major factor in the case of ranged weaponry, making the repeating rifle and pump action shotgun in my opinion better (but with more expensive ammo) than a crossbow. Another important factor in trying to snipe enemies, is that independently of you hitting the mob or not, every shot, even from a silent weapon, will spook the target and send it running in some random direction, which can get really annoying very quickly and make you waste a lot of shots before you actually get enough hits to bring the target down unless its under very specific conditions.

There seems to be, however, a damage multiplier applied if you can snipe a sleeping animal (lets call it a 'guaranteed critical hit') which allows you to sometimes one-shot low health non-mutants that might take more than one hit to kill if they were awake. Since player proximity wakes animals up, I haven't found a reliable way to test if this is also the case for melee weapons, as animals wake up before you get close enough to hit 'em.

At any rate, there's no need to take my word for it, anyone can fire up a quick creative mode game and make a quick cage to test this stuff out for themselves and find their own preferred weapons, and I would encourage everyone to do their own testing if trying to choose their preferred weapon for exploration mode games :D

Quick edit: The saber (at least to my eyes) APPEARS to be faster in its third person view swing animation, but the actual frequency of 'oomp' hit sounds appears to be the same for all melee weapons. Its easier to notice this if you go into first person mode, as in that case there's no actual swing animation for you to see, and you only notice the little flash and oomp sound of the hit on your target. I emphasize the 'appears' because I haven't done any conclusively scientific testing to confirm or deny my impressions. ^_^

Edited by vforventura
  • Like 1

Tip for  finding nearby islands...

Craft your map,  and  writing  instrument ( pencil)  ..put it in your  toolbar and  then  move to a high point on your island...    Open  map and see what direction you are facing  according to the compass top right corner.

Look for  high flying  birds..and  turn to face in the direction they are flying  to ...or  from,  and note the compass direction! This will give you an idea  where to sail to  in your ship.

My ship is nearly ready  for its  maiden voyage, and i have noted  5   birds flying around my  island ..and  possibly  therefore the  direction of  possibly 5  nearby  islands..

Its the  high flying  birds  you  look for.  ¬¬

• Like 1

On 11/29/2017 at 1:04 AM, kimbuck said:

With the  recent  updates, and the availability of Ylands on steam Dec. 6 2017, some of the previous tips  are no longer appicable

It can be frustrating  arriving, not  knowing whats what and ending up as  a predator meal. Hers some tips ...not  spoilers..

1) Note  your  spawn point and  construct  something to help identify it. This is so later on when you v have items you can  come back and enhance it with items   needed to survive.

During the game,  visit it often and place  some  containers...  put in the containers  superseded weapons... ie   stone  spears    wood spears     etc.  Also put in some  basic  clothing,  a torch, flint lighter,  food  axe  knife and wood pieces  etc. place a marker thats  hightly  visible...and  also add a lantern. if you are so inclined  maybe a small log  shelter.  Some  wooden  spikes will  help to act as a  anti predator  barrier.

2) Upon  Initial  arrival, look for  grass flint, stone and  sticks.  Craft a knife . then you can fashion a wooden spear .. great for initial defense.  Collect and  store feathers for  later weapons, and stock up on food.

3) Predators....  if you see sharks near the shore  they could be   guarding an escape  route for a  land  predator  or  two nearby. When  exploring  do not  run   everywhere...  take  small  movements,  keeping to higher areas so you can look down on any predators and  scan around you

5) Predator  characteristics... bears  will awaken and  search for your scent ...   keep back and   kill at long range with a bow/crossbow..   close in combat with a sabre if a surprise attack. Wolves    will growl and warn ....wait then attack ..a sabre  is the best,  a   spear  2nd choice. Try to move to a higher  open area  otherwise your weapon will miss the beast and  strike  nearby  objects  instead.  Wolves are on packs ..if you find one,  scan for others    usually   3  or  4     sometimes more.  Sometimes  they lurk near other predators  like   bears or  pumas etc!  Pumas and   leopards  etc   give little  warning and  spring  surprise attacks   and  can be  hard to see ..if  you are at a safe distance   a  bow/crossbow   is effective.  Again  after  killing one,  scan for other predators  before  claiming the hide and meat.

6)Storage of items in your base .. I craft stone letters    to identify whats in any container ..which i place around the walls  (  cu = copper, fe=  iron  Sa   = saltpeter,   etc     also  cabinets with tools ) Place a  container  with  wood  pieces and  any ores  close to  your  smelter/ forge/.kiln

7)  doors...  construct them to keep unwanted  animals  out..  place near them  spears to grab in an emergency

8)  Build your  base on a shoreline where there's a  deep water area  nearby ... construct a   dockyard where you can  build  your ships and  use place tp put in temporary  wooden poles as a barricade   around your  dock  entrance to keep sharks  out  while  you are  building.

Construct a tower  on your  base    fitted with  lanterns or  other forms of   lighting,  to make   your  base  locatable   from land or  sea approach. Place   columns with lamps  at the  entrance of your dock  as a guide.

9)  construct  multiple  weapons and their  ammo for  placement on you  base, ship, and  spawn point..  so you have  something to   use  if you  lose a battle  with a predator  etc.  When  exploring, only  take with you  essentials...

10 )  craft a map  and pencil and place in dynamic  area ..  to  record  where you are.. check map often to see where you are in case you get " terminated"  and therefore you will have an idea where t your tombstone is  and you can recover  your  items.  Check to see if your penci is not   broken ..if it is your map may not  update

11) when stopping to read map or  eat,  choose a elevated point where you can have  uninterrupted  360 degree view around you,  to  thwart any surprise attack by  lurking predators.

12)  sharks  will attack your  boat especially  if  you are sleeping on it.. or  away from the helm  feeding... place helm and  any sleeping  bed a  good  distance from stern.  If you put a brazier on your ship  to keep warm,   make sure its  covered 3 sides from the weather.   Put containers  around the sides of  you ship as a  barrier  to prevent   falling off  your  ship.

whew   that's all for  now    others will ad more tips  for  sure.   have  fun!:D

Addendum:

If you encounter a  strange  bug or  glitch,  copy   your   logfile  to an  area in the forums  before you try and re log ..( its location etc   can be found in  correspondence  there)   ..that way the developers  will see the data that caused  the  issue,  as that file  is  automatically  cleared  on log in

Great updated list... I would like to add (for new players)

1) Find Aloe Vera and "other berries and fruits" that heal you.  This is a LOT more easily accessible than cloth at times and you can make aloe vera salve to heal you

2) Get into alchemy ASAP.... Healing potions, etc... are a must for caving!

3) Make bandages and repair kits, they stack well and should always be carried.

4) on boats there is a trick that is credited to Keralis on youtube... Build a Sideways door on the side of your ship and open it for a quick getaway and easy shark killing if you don't want to build a bulky wall and stairs... Either way works well though

• Thanks 1

Well said!

Also when visiting other islands ,  collect seeds of  palms,  rubber trees, oaks  bamboo  flax cotton and  other foods....plant them  close to your  base for easier foraging.

I use dirt from excavations to  reclaim land  around my shore line  base....  to make  plantations and  gardens,  and also take  some with me  on my ship ...to  build a causeway from the  ship to the shore to avoid   sharks.   Moor your  ship next to a shoal close to shore...and then   build the causeway....use a  shovel to level it. Don't  accidentally  trap your  ship!  ..... sometimes the sharks  will try to climb onto the  pathway ... they then make  an easy supply of  fresh meat:D