Aethelis

respawn beacon?

Question

hey,

after i spent a large chunk of yesterdays gameing time by rowing a raft to the yland i died on, i thought about the matter a bit.

my prime choice would be some sort of respawn beacon (i'm not too picky about its look, be it a bed or a dais or what ever).

the main reason is, that its important to get the ship back, without the need to build a new one. so something that can be placed on a medium and/or large ship would be nice.

this could be further explored by a construction for placement on land. something i can build in my base, or more importantly on a yland i'm exploring or to which i resettled.

it would be for more advanced characters i guess, but idealy craftable without yllandium or other rare stuff.

on my first yland the spawn was inhabited by a wild puma, and i so wished i could respawn im my camp, without running the gauntlet everytime :)

another thing would be either a small craft that is faster than the raft (and without pressing W the whole time), or something like advanced paddles for the existing two. just to get that other ship from a distant yland, without sacrificing a lot of advanced ressources, faster than a raft does.

cheers

• Upvote 3

35 replies to this bug / suggestion

I think if you can set a respawn, when you die your itens have a chance to broke and you lose it, so you still need to be worried about die.

Just my opinion. Thanks. 

For me this is a pretty simple, clear cut solution. Make it into a difficulty setting with casual being the default and hardcore being the other option. In casual setting you spawn somewhere on the same Yland that you died on(if its a big Yland you still have pretty decent challenge ahead of you), but in hardcore you spawn back at the main Yland you started at. Also make a way to set spawn for casual mode. In my case I quit playing the game if I die and respawn 4 Ylands away and lose 20 hours of work. At the end of the day this is just a game and I think it should be more about the fun of progressing than the challenge of rebuilding everything you lost and spending precious time to get back to your old gear. At least give players a choice as to what way they want to play it. I know 90% of casual gamers will stop playing the game if they die and lose significant progress because there is no way to set a respawn point. That being said there are also people that like the hard challenge of rebuilding to get their gear although I think theyre the minority so having that option is still good. 

Edited by CoolPrius

when you respawn  you have your testament ..and a map  - if you have crafted one.

Perhaps  when you "die" a marker appears  on the map showing the location of your tombstone. Maybe   also  you could be able to place on your  map a marker to indicate  the position of your  home base...or   ship mooring point   on an island?

Actually, based on players feedback (thanks! :)) we'll be doing some changes to spawning/difficulty settings. We'll announce it either later this month or early January.

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Aleš Ulm said:

Actually, based on players feedback (thanks! :)) we'll be doing some changes to spawning/difficulty settings. We'll announce it either later this month or early January.

NOW THATS GREAT NEWS! #HAPPY 

:D Would be better  before   Christmas.... you don't  know  what you will  produce after  all the  Christmas festivities and  drinks ....:P:D

Could respawning on a ship be a thing as well? And maybe a way to find your corpse, because that can sometimes be even more difficult. I don't always remember where I run when I'm getting chased by bears :D Also some changes to ships, because a few ships have gone missing after *incidents* ¬¬ Maybe have ships slow down and stop when there is no player in X amount of distance? And mark them on a map for example?

Adrie

• Upvote 2

Well the problem as I see it with absolutely no spawn point, if you build up an base is that when you get killed, you just lost your progress by 100% and someone can just take it over. Which is not just a setback, it's a game killer for me. 

On 29/11/2017 at 7:37 PM, Aleš Ulm said:

"talk about is the respawn after they die on a other Yland than where they started and need do the entire trip over again"

@A3_Melle Yes, we watch those as well :) Just as I said - we have some future plans where the spawning scheme as it worked until now will make sense and will result in an interesting and fun gameplay but it needs some other features that are not in the game yet. At the same time we want for the players to have more controls over the game settings but it will, as well, come at a later date.

We had a discussion about this and as a result, we decided for the time being to let players spawn at the yland where they died because we don't want the new players to get the wrong picture. To be honest I think that under normal circumstances the "punishment" for dying should really be more strict than running 50 meters back to where you died to get everything back because it takes away some of the thrill - but these are not the usual circumstances. Players can still die many times without being really responsible or without any chance of avoiding that - be it because of the bugs or still rather unbalanced combat. Also the navigation has a lot to be desired (although in few days you'll get your hands on a provisional GUI compass when sailing ships ) and because you still don't get to see other ylands in the distance, it can get quite difficult to find your way around. Because all of this it makes sense that we now make it easier for the players. At the same time, we'll still be working on some changes and improvements for future and I hope to share those with you soon.

Thanks again for your feedback - it doesn't fall on deaf ears :)

Just came across this topic through a link posted by A3_Melle, and have seen several other topics talking about this. Provided that it is a very relevant issue, why don't you pin it at the top with an intermediate status open for discussion?

As a lot of people do not extensively browse the suggestions forum, I think it would be great if there could be a list of important suggestions linked in the general discussions forum to get more feedback on the most relevant topic.

And from another EA (Empyrion), I have seen a great idea on how to approach such suggestions once you have a good idea of what is going on in most people's mind - just a very good survey-. Please check Empyrion's survey (they posted it as an announcement in the game Steam site), as it would be better than any explanation that I could provide:

http://survey.empyriongame.com/

It is just a format suggestion, as I really liked the idea. Please keep this involvement in our suggestions! Love to see that you are around paying atention to our ideas :).

Edited by InvictusESP

Some suggestions to respawn/survival

I played with some friends, we planned to build a major ship to travel around finding new materials and explore together. However, we don’t dare to travel far away, since dyeing would split you from the group, and dying all together would make our precious ship lost. so being able to make a spawn point on ship or village would be ideal.

So as for a spawnpoint my suggestion is like a churge alter with a fair fill in seize and expensive in Resources. Also i was thinking this alter might need to charge up for 5ish days per respawn, to avoid people building it just outside exploring point. If you have to wait 5-7 days (ingame days) for it to work+it being expensive, i think it would be used mainly for positions you stay at long time, like a base or ship. Also giving it long recharge time could make players more careful in their traveling. 

Also, i would like some features for you to be able to play with friends, dying and not being split up, and then spending an hour trying to get back together. But also dying should have a hugh punishment. I was thinking adding a stretcher to the game, so the players can carry their injured freinds along on foot, in reduced speed, slowly nursing the player back to health. for instance, you could increase difficulty making the injured player require different herb medicine doing this time, to get back to health, that their friends may need to gather while on the road.

thanks for great exploration game so far =)

Edited by Legarth