Sign in to follow this  
Soondead-27d3f9fbcbfb78c3

Moving around on deck must be made safer

Question

For a game where ships are such an importan part of the experience, moving around on deck is ridiculously unsafe. Even when walking carefully in a straight line on an anchored ship, the character glitches through walls and railings on a regular basis.

• Upvote 1

9 replies to this bug / suggestion

9 hours ago, Soondead-27d3f9fbcbfb78c3 said:

For a game where ships are such an importan part of the experience, moving around on deck is ridiculously unsafe. Even when walking carefully in a straight line on an anchored ship, the character glitches through walls and railings on a regular basis.

i agree with you on the railings they dont protect you from going over, so i had to raise mine up with blocks, if you think that is unsafe try jumping in the air while your ship is moving full steam =) 

1 hour ago, Designated Drinker said:

i agree with you on the railings they dont protect you from going over, so i had to raise mine up with blocks, if you think that is unsafe try jumping in the air while your ship is moving full steam =) 

Oh I know, and I have the rafts to prove it :-D

i made this mistake once of making stairs facing the back of the ship. first time i used them while sailing. i went for a swim 

I built walls around the  stern area  from glass panels ...  ..and at the sides  i put in an elevated railing lined with storage chests as a additional barrier. The same at the front  around the  anchor  lever.

I built  steps at each side leading  down from the deck towards a platform either side of the bow. This   makes  easy access to  land when  exploring... you   ease the ship as close as you can  to a shoal , then from that platform ( at sea level)   make an dirt causeway  to the shore.  Ship looks  ugly  but its  functional! 

I've started putting up a weaving loom and a tanning rack on the "bridge" since that's the most risky place to move around, but I've even glitched sideways off the ship when trying to walk straight along the deck while the ship was anchored. Several times too, and the last time I was eaten by a shark and lost a lot of valuables. Sort of ran out of patience with multiplayer when that happened, so I've been enjoying single player for a few days...

This is  my  ugly  but  functional  ship... the  stern area  enclosed  in glass panels...  and there are ramps to "landing"  points  either side of the ship.  The storage  boxes assist the railing  from  dumping you  overboard if to  exuberant  in movements.

You could   also use  steel doors  horizontally  as barriers,  like  keralis  does in his videos.  you can "open" the door   creating a ramp ..which you  can 'retract" by closing it

The current  design of my ship allows me to approach bow first to the  shoreline , then i use dirt and construct a causeway  from the   front   platforms  to the shoreline.

I have a mooring  dock that's  just wide enough to  accept the ship  and i  can  embark/disembark without  fear of  those pesky  sharks :D

The only  issue i get is sometimes a seagull  might  get under the side panels and  cause the ship to perform  ballet  movements:o.

20180106075000_1.jpg

20180106075519_1.jpg

This is one of the ships I use in survival. I simply use a stone extension of the hull, which only costs less than 5 minutes of mining stone :) You can use this type of hull on nearly every ship, just make it the first thing you place and then make the rest in the middle with a deck area in between. For the middle section you can make whatever you need, a storage unit, just a simple cabin like this ship or a passenger cabin. One of the drawbacks of this is that you can get launched over the front part because it's angled on the inside. If you want to prevent this you should make the inside of the hull extension straight up :) 

20180105221502_1.thumb.jpg.06adcca002bb1929bd6761d74fdeb09e.jpg20180105221508_1.thumb.jpg.d6fd665724f38988bbc2d9a9dbffa37c.jpg20180105221523_1.thumb.jpg.cdb8d394b6de5c5ca47e8c00b506df40.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 12/31/2017 at 3:27 PM, Soondead-27d3f9fbcbfb78c3 said:

The problem is that the mechanics of the game allow your character to scale some pretty steep inclines...you can't tell me you haven't scaled the cliff of a mountain easily and gone "wow that was too easy" ...if the current railing are to work, they have to scale that back or make railings a unique object that just stops movement past that point. I wouldn't want them to scale down the way we can manage terrain. I made mine 3 blocks high and i can still just walk up them like steps....kind of ridiculous, i completely agree with you.

9 hours ago, Antimidation said:

The problem is that the mechanics of the game allow your character to scale some pretty steep inclines...you can't tell me you haven't scaled the cliff of a mountain easily and gone "wow that was too easy" ...if the current railing are to work, they have to scale that back or make railings a unique object that just stops movement past that point. I wouldn't want them to scale down the way we can manage terrain. I made mine 3 blocks high and i can still just walk up them like steps....kind of ridiculous, i completely agree with you.

You're absolutely right, but in addition the character will veer and glitch off course (you can be walking in a straight line and yet glitch sideways) or through walls and closed doors. The railings are 3 blocks high and must be enough to stop the character no matter what speed or direction, as long as there's no jumping involved. Some degree of rubberbanding is inevitable in a multiplayer game but having it kill you on a regular basis is too much IMHO.