andr0id88

Exploration for gold in Hang Son Doong

Question

I will try to make this a short post even tough i feel i need to explain the attachments i have posted with it abit so it might not, you have been warned ;) 

First off ty for fixing the boat sleep bug! It was really good stuff and made me able to go on a journey with the savegame i played the most on. I struggled ALONG time to find copper and gold in this save. Only copper i found was in some barrels on a island nothing in the ground anywere. Gold i only found 2 bars of, in some random skeleton loot in a small cave. Today I decided to do something about that and went out looking for a big cave. Little did i know i found the biggest cave in the world, Hang son Doong :o;) 

After sailing past 3-4 islands i finnaly found found a new island i did not explore yet, and it was on this island i found a massive cave. Im talking a cave with rooms the size of Donald Trumps ego, multiple rooms this size! With tunnels going up and down and all around. First i was super excited because i went deep deep into this cave and tought i struck gold. I did not :( It was sand, then dirt, then sulpur. But after quite some time i look up and i see something that looks like sulpur but i go and check it.. IT WAS GOLD!! :) Super happy at this point...

The problem started after i mined this huge ammount of gold (300-400 gold ores) and wanted to get out from the cave. I had zero idea off were i came from. I started looking for the exit all over the place, then all of a sudden there was FOG, i could litteraly see nothing and i got even more lost. Also worth mentioning many of the animals down there was stuck inside walls and on rocks etc. I got a picture of 4 that was stuck in 1 spot but you will have to take my word for it since they went too sleep before i decided to start to screenshot my little adventure down here. 

This kinda sucks since i finnaly got a playable savegame again and now im back to ground zero it feels like (i will NEVER find my way out of this mess im 99.9% sure:P) Currently spendt 2 day cycles trying to find the exit and at this point i kinda have given up :P 

So yeah some suggestions for cave exploration:

• Make caves more easy to exit. (teleport potion or some device for teleport home? ;))
  • Maybe look into the max size of caves? I have yet to find what i would call medium sized caves, only this one and a bunch of small ones.
  • Look into the AI off these animals, i just stayed flying close enough to hit them and they did not aggro, seems not intented) + the stuck in the wall\rock issue.
  • Fog in a cave seems kinda overkill atleast when you make caves this big (Im gonna starve to death down here! :P)
  • Look into the textures off the diffrent materials.
  • Maybe make smaller gold veins but more of them? Seems weird to not find gold on 10+ islands then suddently strike 300-400 ores in 1 cluster.
  • Also worth mentioning i got a random gunpowder keg from the gold cluster seems not intented also. 

Posted pictures of what i talked about + my save so you can see for yourself how massive this cave is and that im not really over exaggerating this whole ordeal ;) 
Keep up the good work devs! (and sorry for the long post):) 

Ylands.zip

Edited by andr0id88

5 replies to this bug / suggestion

Some my thoughts to this:

53 minutes ago, andr0id88 said:

Make caves more easy to exit. (teleport potion or some device for teleport home? ;))

I recommend marking your way out somehow. I really like to use signs in a shape of an arrow for this. One plank for each, easy to see in a cave and you see clearly where you have to go. ;) 

Maybe look into the max size of caves? I have yet to find what i would call medium sized caves, only this one and a bunch of small ones.

I have just a little experience in the caves adventures but I would like to see more medium sized ones too. Explored every single cave on five Ylands and got 10 Ylandium Dust from it. (all from bones) :( But I guess it's also my bad luck. :P 

Look into the AI off these animals, i just stayed flying close enough to hit them and they did not aggro, seems not intented) + the stuck in the wall\rock issue.

They are already looking into AI. ;) As I understood, they are making changes to it (complete rewrite?) already in the upcoming 0.4 update. :) 

Fog in a cave seems kinda overkill atleast when you make caves this big (Im gonna starve to death down here! :P)

Never experienced fog in the caves so I can't judge this. :P 

Look into the textures off the diffrent materials.

You mean their color in the world? I, for myself, think that those colors are nice the way they are. I can spot different veins with not so much effort. :) 

Maybe make smaller gold veins but more of them? Seems weird to not find gold on 10+ islands then suddently strike 300-400 ores in 1 cluster.

Smaller but more frequent veins sound good to me. But on the other hand, this is the thing that keeps you Exploring. :D

Also worth mentioning i got a random gunpowder keg from the gold cluster seems not intented also. 

That could be one of the goodies you can get from digging. ;) You can even find yourself a diamond! :P

Edited by Miguel Preguisa
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I used to put glowing mushrooms down to show were i was supposed to get out :P But stopped this after i encountered alot of smaller ones, big mistake obviously :P 

The problem with this cave im in at the moment is that it contains huuuuge rooms with multiple exits all over the place so it is really confusing. Marked every place i sweeped trough but still havent found a way out. I suspect it is a super tiny hole in the roof somewere, aka im gonna starve down there :P 

As for the textures i think sulpfur and gold looks really similar, and even sand and dirt in caves given the "right" light. But that is just my opinion ;) 

The fog in the cave you should be happy you never encountered. It sucks... :P Not like i can just go too sleep eigther with x ammount of enemies around :( 

The goodies i get from digging i was unaware off actually :D Thx for the info! :) 

I would suggest maybe think about the idea off a teleport pot using ylandium dust or even gold or some other rare material to make it easier to get out of caves like this one... It still renders this save kinda useless but atleast someone else dont have to go trough the same thing in the future :P  

Edited by andr0id88

• Hello!
  •  
  • >Make caves more easy to exit. (teleport potion or some device for teleport home? ;))
  • As Miguel said, you can mark your way out. Or you can just try use your pick/spade and dig upwards. It's a bit lengthy sometimes, but you will surely come back on top ;)
  • >Maybe look into the max size of caves? I have yet to find what i would call medium sized caves, only this one and a bunch of small ones.
  • The caves are randomly generated, so there can be small caves, medium caves or huge caves, it's really varied :)
  • >Look into the AI off these animals, i just stayed flying close enough to hit them and they did not aggro, seems not intented) + the stuck in the wall\rock issue.
  • AI of animals is something being worked on and will be improved in the next few updates.
  • >Fog in a cave seems kinda overkill atleast when you make caves this big (Im gonna starve to death down here! :P)
  • Fog shouldn't be in caves, we'll fix that.
  • >Look into the textures off the diffrent materials.
  • >Maybe make smaller gold veins but more of them? Seems weird to not find gold on 10+ islands then suddently strike 300-400 ores in 1 cluster.
  • We'll be fixing this by spawning small chunks of materials near the veins, so you can recognize what they are instantly 
  •  

Yeah i was thinking about just smashing my way too the top with the pickaxe, but the problem with that, is that it is allready worn out almost. And ofc i forgot my repairkits on my ship + my shovel :P And i dont really have a way of making a new one down here in the deep. Lesson learned atleast, prepare for anything :) 

A suggestion: Maybe make a new tool like a bone pickaxe that you can make from a bone pice and a stone? Or something similar from the items you can find in caves. So that people can actually dig themselfs out in these cases. :) Or a TP pot ;) 

Found a sollution in the end tough ;) Used a mix between wallhack bug and digging myself out :) Not really what i would want to do, but desperate times call for desperate meassures i guess ;) 

Edited by andr0id88
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, andr0id88 said:

Yeah i was thinking about just smashing my way too the top with the pickaxe, but the problem with that, is that it is allready worn out almost. And ofc i forgot my repairkits on my ship + my shovel :P And i dont really have a way of making a new one down here in the deep. Lesson learned atleast, prepare for anything :) 

A suggestion: Maybe make a new tool like a bone pickaxe that you can make from a bone pice and a stone? Or something similar from the items you can find in caves. So that people can actually dig themselfs out in these cases. :) Or a TP pot ;) 

Found a sollution in the end tough ;) Used a mix between wallhack bug and digging myself out :) Not really what i would want to do, but desperate times call for desperate meassures i guess ;) 

That is a very nice suggestion, we'll definitely consider that. Thanks! :)