bojo2736

network error 114

Question

Network error 114 has made MP all but unplayable for me.  It times out or disconnects just about every 20 minutes or so.  There is a lag somewhat like the old one when someone was logging on.  I had the 114 error dump me three times in less than an hour, the last time I was trying to board my ship.  When I got back online, my character had died of drowning.  There's really no point in trying to play MP as it is now.  Very disappointed.  I love this game but I am so discouraged with it. 

• Upvote 2

23 replies to this bug / suggestion

Been having the same problem. Attach all of your output log files to help the devs work out what’s happening 

It certainly makes MP a very dangerous thing to play when you have the threat of being disconnected so frequently. Very off putting. Hopefully they come up with a fix sometime soon.

The output_log_clean.txt is really similar with yours @handofthesly. Lets be patient and hope they can fix it soon. Meanwhile, digging the Editor features seems interesting.. :D

Thanks for your report, guys - we'll look into it and I'll let you know as soon as we know something!

• Thanks 2

I have built an explore specific  ship, but  afraid to put to sea lest i get dumped and drowned and lose it   due to that network error. I saw a craft approaching my base ..it never arrived...  there was a network error  and  when i returned later, ( eventually) the craft was gone. I guess there's an avatar  corpse on the bottom of the ocean out there! In the last  hour  i have had  3 of these errors...:|

As it is, i am stuck on this   Yland...   i don't want to risk   all my hard work on the ship.

:(

5 hours ago, kimbuck said:

I have built an explore specific  ship, but  afraid to put to sea lest i get dumped and drowned and lose it   due to that network error. I saw a craft approaching my base ..it never arrived...  there was a network error  and  when i returned later, ( eventually) the craft was gone. I guess there's an avatar  corpse on the bottom of the ocean out there! In the last  hour  i have had  3 of these errors...:|

As it is, i am stuck on this   Yland...   i don't want to risk   all my hard work on the ship.

:(

Was it from around 11PM last night (GMT-5) on my server?  If so, the approaching craft might've been the very one described in the start of this thread.  BB's ship and corpse is just west of your property along the coast and these errors hit around that time.

I don't know if she meant me.  She and I chatted on her ship prior to my moving up the coast a bit.  So she knew I was there. 

It was late afternoon  my real life time... so could have been you BB ... all i saw was what looked like a raft  with a light...  i  fueled up my ship   and  was going out to look .. then  network error ... when i rejoined  some  20  mins later...  nothing visible.

I had  3 such restarts  in 90  mins... kinda  frustrating  as the game  gets  to  loading  buildings  100% and  sits there for about  4   minutes  before it  proceeds..O.o

Having the same issue, it's a bit random, often when the game want to load something (maybe IA Patchfinding?)

The issue for me come more often when i'm near a cavern.

32 minutes ago, kimbuck said:

I had  3 such restarts  in 90  mins... kinda  frustrating  as the game  gets  to  loading  buildings  100% and  sits there for about  4   minutes  before it  proceeds..O.o

4 minutes?!  My wife waited 10 minutes last night to get in at the 100% status, and the server is one hop away from her computer on gigabit ethernet :)

8 hours ago, kimbuck said:

It was late afternoon  my real life time... so could have been you BB ... all i saw was what looked like a raft  with a light...  i  fueled up my ship   and  was going out to look .. then  network error ... when i rejoined  some  20  mins later...  nothing visible.

I lost a raft with a blue crystal.  A tree I chopped down landed on it an flipped it over.  I tried flipping it back, then had to build a new one. My luck since the new update has been really bad. 

Ahah     found your upturned  raft  ..and also  found the crystal!  ... will return the  crystal to you next time  you  drop by! The other containers were  empty¬¬

20180222101444_1.jpg

• Thanks 1

What  really   gets me annoyed is i lost some gold pebbles! If you see a mutant  underground wearing a Rolex watch .... let me know  and i will return with a  vengeance  ...:P

• Haha 1

On 2/21/2018 at 4:19 AM, Aleš Ulm said:

Thanks for your report, guys - we'll look into it and I'll let you know as soon as we know something!

Any luck finding anything?  If it helps, I can provide the server save file to you.  It's currently at 38 mb.

Another  day,  another  experience:P

Rather than risk my  big ship, and myself, i crafted a tiny  boat and went on a cruise close to shore around my   Yland.  was in the home  stretch and experiencing lag  spikes... then  froze ...  obviously  someone was logging onto  the server!   a  quick  check of  whose online  initially  showed  no one  ( !   ? ) then  confirmed another  arrival.    I closed the   menu and waited ...after 20 seconds everything   un-froze... but then my  ship started sailing in circles .. the  spinning  horse   syndrome, but  slower ..and   nothing i could  do  would  stop it!  I selected  reverse  and that stopped it  but  then i was  reversing out to sea ..  selected   w  to  move  forward and  the  spinning resumed .. so  waited until stern was  pointed to shore  and   reversed  ( s  key)...  and managed to   beach   the craft.  I hopped out    onto  dry land and   re  joined..   All seemed  well,   so i  tried to get back in the craft...    and the  spinning  resumed!

So i beached it again and  abandoned it.   All the time   i got  lag  spikes   and freezes..and a check of  whose was online  alternated   between  none  and   2  of us.

Went back to base ...in fits and  starts  with  intermittent  freezing..   locked doors and sat  down and   moped...     having  real life breakfast now to console myself.  I do  so much want to explore... but  is it  worth the  risk at present?O.o

drowning at sea  or  freezing  in mid  defense facing a predator ...   not  quite  what i  like about the  game at present...  especially as it not as a result  of  my actions...

wheres  my  coffee....  B|

20 minutes ago, kimbuck said:

Another  day,  another  experience:P

Rather than risk my  big ship, and myself, i crafted a tiny  boat and went on a cruise close to shore around my   Yland.  was in the home  stretch and experiencing lag  spikes... then  froze ...  obviously  someone was logging onto  the server!   a  quick  check of  whose online  initially  showed  no one  ( !   ? ) then  confirmed another  arrival.    I closed the   menu and waited ...after 20 seconds everything   un-froze... but then my  ship started sailing in circles .. the  spinning  horse   syndrome, but  slower ..and   nothing i could  do  would  stop it!  I selected  reverse  and that stopped it  but  then i was  reversing out to sea ..  selected   w  to  move  forward and  the  spinning resumed .. so  waited until stern was  pointed to shore  and   reversed  ( s  key)...  and managed to   beach   the craft.  I hopped out    onto  dry land and   re  joined..   All seemed  well,   so i  tried to get back in the craft...    and the  spinning  resumed!

So i beached it again and  abandoned it.   All the time   i got  lag  spikes   and freezes..and a check of  whose was online  alternated   between  none  and   2  of us.

Went back to base ...in fits and  starts  with  intermittent  freezing..   locked doors and sat  down and   moped...     having  real life breakfast now to console myself.  I do  so much want to explore... but  is it  worth the  risk at present?O.o

drowning at sea  or  freezing  in mid  defense facing a predator ...   not  quite  what i  like about the  game at present...  especially as it not as a result  of  my actions...

wheres  my  coffee....  B|

@Aleš Ulm / Devs - if you're interested in the server logs for this event, here's what I've got.  I can provide the server game file as well, just let me know how to get it to you - it's 38mb.

log.txt

log_clean.txt

Edited by Baz Foobar

Re-joined and   went to  retrieve  my  boat...    all seems  ok   then it started to spin again...   so did  some  experimenting   ..   the   boat has  3  barrels  attached and sits lower in the water and it  appears  this  causes the  bow  physics to   collide with   certain corals  in shallow   water !!!!! ..    After   doing  reversing   gymnastics  into deeper  water,  the boat behaved itself   but  even so its   scary  as it  moves  forward ..pauses ... then  moves a little  ... pauses..... its like  watching  a  1920's   charlie  Chaplin  film on a hand  cranked  projector  operated  by a sleepy  projectionist.

The  same  effect  occurs  when  walking...   and is  frustrating...  as   all commands  seem to be on a delay   system. And  yes...  checking  whose  online  status shows  all the   pauses  are occurring when someone  logs  in or  drops out.^_^

Edited by kimbuck

Hey guys, first of all, thank you for your reports and log files! We are working on locating and fixing the 114 disconnect issue, but randomly appearing bugs like this one are notoriously hard to diagnose, and the more info we have the easier it will be for us to find the problem - so your input is extremely valuable, please keep the logs and reports coming! :) I have read the stuff you have already provided and I am putting together what we know about the bug, but there are still some pieces missing. As of now, we can see the symptoms (in which part of the game something breaks down), but not the cause - yet. If you want to work together with us on fixing this pesky bug, the best way you can help is once again by providing more info :)

Right now, the most interesting aspects of the bug are these:

1. Whether the 114 disconnect issue occurs only when there are other players on the server as well, or even when you are alone on the server; does it happen more often when a lot of other players are online?
  2. If relogging after the 114 results in another 114 being shown, and if so, how long does this cycle typically last until you are able to log in again?
  3. If there is any kind of a pattern as to what was going on when you were disconnected? So far it seems that our prime suspects are when interacting with some other entity (boat, horse, ...) which you control, or during a player join.

Getting the answers to these questions, especially #3, would go a long way towards helping us locate the bug. Being able to intentionally reproduce the bug would kinda be the holy grail here. So, ideally, when you see a 114 disconnect in some situation you haven't reported yet, if you could make notes about these three questions (or anything else that strikes you as suspicious really) and then report them back here along with a fresh log, that would be awesome! Logs from the server you were playing on that capture the event from the other side are also very valuable. Thanks a lot and sorry for your trouble!

@Baz Foobar Thank you for the offer, if you would be willing to upload the save file to some online storage service (e.g. OneDrive, Google Disk) and sent me the link via a PM, I'd like to have a look at that - might be helpful. Also, if you have some more logs for 114 disconnects of your players I would be very interested in those as well. :)

1 hour ago, Filip Krijt said:

@Baz Foobar Thank you for the offer, if you would be willing to upload the save file to some online storage service (e.g. OneDrive, Google Disk) and sent me the link via a PM, I'd like to have a look at that - might be helpful. Also, if you have some more logs for 114 disconnects of your players I would be very interested in those as well. :)

Thanks Filip for the update!  I have PM'd you the link to the server save file for the approximate time in which the event occurred.

Since then, I removed some compositions that were carried over from the old version.  Performance has marginally increased but I understand BB Cakes still encountered further 114 disconnects overnight.  Not sure if she had saved logs for that, but I'll try to provide as we encounter them.  If you want to take a look at one of the compositions that may have been causing us problems, it's Bartolomew's white/gold ship off the coast of the spawn island perhaps towards the southeast corner of that island.  You can't miss it, it's a giant beast of a monstrosity with all kinds of stuff on it (which probably created some kind of conflict for the game engine).

Feedback :"  last  night i was with BB cakes, and encountered the " black ship" error and also could  not see her ...yet could see the clay she was digging up . A rejoin fixed that.   Later i encountered  the  dreaded 114 error,  and it  occurred at a change of weather... it was raining when i rejoined.

I noticed that a lot of the  lag  / freeze spikes  occurred   and the commencement of  rain.

^_^