Sign in to follow this  
bojo2736

Ships, death and frustration

Question

7 replies to this bug / suggestion

I simply cannot understand why people put themselves through this.  It seems like torture rather than gaming. Is there really nothing more fun to do?  For me when a game becomes work and not fun I do something else.  Maybe it is fun for you, I don't know all I can say is I don't understand.   They seem to be working on the bugs and making the game more fun and eventually these things will get fixed.  A game can only do what its programmed to do and more effort on the part of the player can't change that.

The  squeaky  axle  gets the most  grease.  By repeatedly   highlighting something that can drive  players  away from this  game, it is hoped the amplified  squeaks  will encourage the   devs to toss more  grease at it to get it  fixed, and  maintain the current   player base, and ensure the game will survive and grow.^_^

16 hours ago, Onedown said:

I simply cannot understand why people put themselves through this.  It seems like torture rather than gaming. Is there really nothing more fun to do?  For me when a game becomes work and not fun I do something else.  Maybe it is fun for you, I don't know all I can say is I don't understand.   They seem to be working on the bugs and making the game more fun and eventually these things will get fixed.  A game can only do what its programmed to do and more effort on the part of the player can't change that.

The devs have asked us to provide additional log files and save game files to help them identify and reproduce the bugs.  So yes, they are working on the bugs, but they're doing so with the requested assistance of these players.

Can you elaborate a bit what "more ship glitching" involves? As I understand from the end of your post, you managed to get it to work?

Ane .....    i find that  moving about on a ship is precarious..it could be lag   but  you  keep  stopping  then starting abruptly and  ending up  on the  edge of the  ship ..or  overboard...  or bounce off  invisible  objects and  end up in  directions  you were not heading. Its very  hard to move where you intend...often   going towards the anchor lever  you    jump past it  over the bow!

Its also   common  for  all movement  to freeze....   sounds are  still there .... then suddenly  all the  waves  etc  move at double speed,  catching up...   and  then moving normally.

The real frustrating  bit  is   wondering if  you unfreeze  and find yourself  in the  water  or some form of  limbo ... and  no boat,  no possessions ..and  on some  yland   you have no idea  where  you are ...especially  as the map   doesn't  work.

I do not   travel to explore because of this... its  frustrating  starting over  and  over again, having to  rebuild  and its   not   through  carelessness   of  being  eaten by a predator! :|

We are getting to the stage of  most of the players stopping  playing  MP    as it  is,  and  hoping that the 0.8 release is as good as it is promised,  then  we all  start  afresh. ..  hoping  everything ..or  most things... work!:D

Yes ....   its  early   access,   but   0.7  might have  had  fixes  but    it was a retrograde in performance..

0.8  better?  or  do we wait   for  0.9 ... or  0.9.1 ...    or  0.9. n+1.....  ??  :S

We  like   Ylands   as  its  different....   and  will stick it out as long as it  remains  fun ...  Currently  when you log in you have time  to go for a  P..... :$   ,  boil the  coffee pot, or  make a sandwich ,  which  is  tolerable ---  but with the  boat glitches and crashes,  we sometimes have to do it  5  times in an hour...O.o  ( that's a lot   of  flushes,  caffeine  and calories..)  

• Thanks 1

I found in single player explore game that the player seems to move relative to the ship which makes sense except that momentum is not accounted for if you lose contact by jumping for instance.  For example i had stairs leading to a platform on the bow of my ship.  While the ship is moving I can climb the stairs but I cannot jump onto them because momentum is not accounted for.  I'm not complaining i'm just pointing it out.  It's just a little disconcerting until you get used to it.

5 hours ago, Onedown said:

I found in single player explore game that the player seems to move relative to the ship which makes sense except that momentum is not accounted for if you lose contact by jumping for instance.  For example i had stairs leading to a platform on the bow of my ship.  While the ship is moving I can climb the stairs but I cannot jump onto them because momentum is not accounted for.  I'm not complaining i'm just pointing it out.  It's just a little disconcerting until you get used to it.

Yes, it's frustrating.  I usually use rope ladders on my ships (maximize that floor space for workstations and stuff).  Climbing a ladder is kind of like jumping, apparently.  I had a ship in creative mode that had a bunch of Ylandium engines, so it moved really fast.  I climbed the ladder to the top level and slid right off the back of the ship.