Sign in to follow this  
Indomitus

RESOLVED [YLD-11370] Object loses custom name if player drops it

Question

I am building a puzzle which will require a specific item to unlock it.  The item I chose is a Stepstone, since for now they can't be crafted and I want it to be 100% unique.  (I have a reason for not connecting the logic to the specific Item ID.)  I gave it a custom name, keeping with the theme of the puzzle.  While testing, I pressed X and dropped it (part of the logic looks for it in the player's inventory).  When I picked it back up, the custom name was gone and it was called "Stepstone" again.  This happens if I drop it by pressing X or by dragging it out of my inventory.  It does not happen if I use V to place it.

I've tested this several times with multiple different items, not just stepstones, and the result is the same each time.

10 replies to this bug / suggestion

Heya, could you please attach the scenario where this is happening?

I have 2 scenarios included in this ZIP file.  "Idea Workshop" is the scenario where I first noticed it happening.  My test items are still lying on the ground.  (Just go toward the very large teeth.:D  He won't bite.  He's not complete yet.)  This evening, I created the second one "Custom Name Test" and it contains only the few items that I renamed and placed around (plus a chair and a creator cube).

I did some more testing when I got home today, to see if I could give a little more detail.  This is what I noticed:

1. It seems to happen only with stackable items.  In "Custom Name Test" I placed several swords along with the sticks and the stones.  The sticks and stones lose their names.  The swords do not.

2. When the items stack, only the first item grabbed will keep its name, and the entire stack will show that name.  The rest will lose their names no matter how they are dropped or placed.  The one that keeps its name will be the last one dropped.

3. I also tried adding named items to an explore map (I can attach it if you like) and the result was the same when I played in Explore mode.

IDEA_WORKSHOP.zip

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the detailed info!

I noticed another detail while working on a puzzle design this evening.  I have the specific object set up to interact with a piece of logic (to move the stone to a specific location).  I can place it with V anywhere in the scenario and the logic will move it back to the location.  If I drop it with X, then the logic no longer recognizes the item, as if the ID changed.  It no longer responds to the logic or acts as the trigger that I need it to be.  This breaks the puzzle.

It's in my "Idea Workshop" scenario, a bit farther along with the puzzle design.  I can attach the updated version if needed.

Hi.

the easiest solution for you would be to use item which is not stackable. (cat idols for example) When placing from a stack a new item is created. Yes, they indeed could have original name and yes, placing whole stack (now of 1 item) could not create a new item. However in general it is not a good idea to use a stackable item to check against its ID.

I am looking at short-term solutions to make this specific build work, but that is not going to be easy since I want it to have a specific theme.

Allow me to suggest a long-term solution:  Add a field that allows us to force a specific item to be unique and unstackable, no matter what type of object it is.  If an item is "unique" for example, it would not behave as the same entity type, even with similar items.  Making it unstackable, the effect of that would be obvious.

(I understand there are much more important parts of the game that are the focus right now, but please consider this for the future.)

Edited by Indomitus

23 hours ago, Indomitus said:

Allow me to suggest a long-term solution:  ..

In fact it is a good idea. No promise but there is chance that it will make it to next (0.10) update.

unique.PNG

In current version of the game (0.10)

Check it if you want to use stackable item in any scripts.

I have tried this and it works *almost* perfectly.  There is still an issue that can happen if the player drops the unique item in the same place as others of the same type that are not unique.  When I tried that, they all fell into a single stack on the ground, and after that the entire stack would not separate at all.

This is a very good step in the right direction, though.  It will really be useful if we want to use something like a crystal or colored stone as a key to unlock a puzzle.  Thanks to the team for adding it.