Aleš Ulm

Dev Diary #49

Hey there, fellow ylanders.

There are several things I would like to address in this Dev Diary. Let me start with the one that has the highest impact on the project. 

We’ve talked before about how the team keeps growing. What started with five people has now close to ten times that number actively working on it. It doesn’t take an expert to understand that 5 vs 50-man large team have completely different dynamics. A lot of processes, activities and workflows have to be put in place for a large team to function correctly. And the transition is usually nor easy neither painless experience.  

That’s why we are all very happy to welcome among us a new Ylands Producer, Iceman, who many may know as someone who in the past years played a crucial role in the Arma 3 team, and who brings a lot of experience to the Ylands team. He will help us work more effectively both as we move towards leaving the Early Access stage and well into the years beyond. Let's allow Iceman to introduce himself with a few words:

"Hello, my (nick)name is Iceman and I've been in Bohemia for five years. My previous experience in the company was working on Arma 3. I started there as a QA member, and worked the way through production to a Project Lead. I'm more than happy to be joining the enthusiastic and talented Ylands team. They already are making me feel very welcome, and I hope to repay this trust by applying some of the experience I gained on Arma 3. Even though the setting of Ylands is completely different to Arma 3, there still are similarities that we can benefit from (such as being a platform alongside the game, strong support of community-made content, and more). I can't wait to dive into these new challenges!"

Another thing that is certainly worth mentioning is the update 0.10.1, that will soon get to you. It isn’t by any means as big as a “regular” update, but we believe you will find there a thing or two you'll like ;)  

newcars.png

Getting tired of those old thin tires? Are you ready for a new off-road chassis and lots of fun? :) 

Some of you might have noticed that we had mentioned a live Q&A Discord session, where you would be able to ask questions and get answers from various Ylands devs. It will happen on Thursday the 11th at 19:00 Prague time (5 PM GMT / 10 AM PDT). You can follow this link here to join the Ylands Discord server.

Speaking of questions, there’s one that keeps reappearing from time to time. We’ve covered it once, but there’s no harm in doing that again. 

When Ylands was released, some of you asked if / when an Ylands offline version will become available. We wanted to work on that when there was nothing left with higher priority...  Let's fast-forward pretty much a year, and unfortunately, we’re still at the same position. We understand that some players may be frustrated because of this, but the fact is that Ylands isn’t promoted as being playable offline, so we consider it an important, but still just a nice-to-have feature, while there are currently many crucial parts of the game not working correctly that need our attention more. 

We don’t want to give anyone false hopes, so I will say it again as clearly as possible - now we’re focusing on fixing and improving what already is in the game, and offline mode isn’t definitely planned before we leave Early Access. Once we’re out and everything is stabilized, we will get back to this topic. Unfortunately, contrary to what many think, making a game like Ylands run offline doesn’t mean simply removing or disabling a thing or two here and there... I don’t want to go into details in here, but if you wish, we can discuss this further below this post. 

So that’s it for today and we’re looking forward to talking to you again next Friday. Until then you have a great time, ylanders, and stay classy!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Hello Iceman! What exactly will you be working on the next few months?

Also, the offroad chassis looks cool, along with the new vehicle parts! Are the wheels seperate/changeable? Also another request, now that there's an offroad chassis, can the normal chassis get a small overhaul to be a more on-road focused chassis? This would mean running a lot lower than now, with firmer suspension for example. Anyways, thanks for showing us some more content, I really like these previews :) 

Adrie

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Aleš Ulm said:

Getting tired of those old thin tires? Are you ready for a new off-road chassis and lots of fun? :) 

YES! Look at that FLEX and higher ground clearance too? I have been ready for this since vehicles first came out!

I really hope for the option to engage and disengage between 2WD and 4WD. I suppose asking for Diff Lock and a Winch is a bit much but those would be features I’d love to see ?

Edited by handofthesly
  • Haha 1

Welcome to the wonderful world of Ylands Iceman! Good to see that the team will be getting more and more support from outside bohemia interactive but that BI is also sharing excellent developers internally! 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 6:14 PM, WijkagentAdrie said:

Hello,

thanks everyone for the warm welcome! My main responsibilities are mainly supporting the project and establishing / improving processes. You can really imagine it as some kind of day-to-day problem solving (with development, third-party partners, and other entities), organizing, and helping to build the foundation for years to come. You will probably never see any direct output (e.g. a model made by me) in the game, but trust me that really is for the better! 

• Like 4

On 05/10/2018 at 6:14 PM, WijkagentAdrie said:

Also, the offroad chassis looks cool, along with the new vehicle parts! Are the wheels seperate/changeable? Also another request, now that there's an offroad chassis, can the normal chassis get a small overhaul to be a more on-road focused chassis? This would mean running a lot lower than now, with firmer suspension for example. Anyways, thanks for showing us some more content, I really like these previews :) 

Adrie

Hey Adrie,

every chassis has got it's own non-changeable wheels. Although in the 0.10.1 update there is also a second new car chassis coming - Race car chassis. It can be seen on the right in the picture. The attributes of the basic car chassis remain the same but the Race car chassis is more road oriented with increased capabilities such as acceleration, break efficiency and stiff suspension. :)

On 06/10/2018 at 1:18 AM, handofthesly said:

YES! Look at that FLEX and higher ground clearance too? I have been ready for this since vehicles first came out!

I really hope for the option to engage and disengage between 2WD and 4WD. I suppose asking for Diff Lock and a Winch is a bit much but those would be features I’d love to see ?

Hello handofthesly,

Haha what an interesting idea. Maybe it could be added in the future. :)  For now there is no such feature though i'm afraid. :)

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Pizzadriver said:

The Cars are looking great, is there allready a releasedate for the 0.10.1 update?

Nothing specific yet :)