Marci Magyar

Dev Diary #78

Hey there fellow ylanders,

This week, we are going to talk about something that's very close to us - literally - a certain section of our forum and changes being made to it.

First, a little background:

For a while now, the Ylands Academy section of the forum had a hidden subforum called Editor Hotline. This was invisible to most of the community, only certain creators had access to it. The purpose of this section was the following:

• to offer a place where creators have a direct line of contact to the developers, programmers and designers of the game, most importantly those working on the Editor and Visual Scripting
  • based on the questions, requests and discussions there, we could prioritize the changes, improvements and features of both the Editor and Visual Scripting

The reason why this section of the forum was closed off to the majority of the players:

• knowing that contents of this sections aren't discussed outside let us openly talk about ideas that may not get implemented
  • because of the fast ideas exchange, misunderstandings about actual feature details or ETAs can happen, and if such information is publicly posted it can cause more bad than good

TL;DR: there is a hidden section on the forum where creators can directly talk to developers working on the Editor and Visual scripting and we kept it hidden because this way we didn't have to worry about features being talked about not making it into the game.

Come next week, we will be changing this in the following way:

• the Ylands Academy section will turn into the "Editor" section that will get three subforums
  • 1 - Editor Help
  • 2 - Editor Bugs & Technical Issues
  • 3 - Editor Suggestions
  • we will be copying the threads from the above hidden Editor Hotline subforum to these new, open ones
  • which means that everyone will have access to that knowledge base and there will be no more hidden subforums

The reasoning behind this change:

• matters discussed on the hidden subforum became more generic and would be beneficial for other creators (and the community at large)
  • it became hard to track the different threads about editor and scripting - they became too scattered across several sub-forums

TL;DR: besides keeping an eye on the different subforums getting increasingly more difficult, we also found that the hidden Editor Hotline subforum has a lot of interesting and useful topics for the entire community

Before we make the transition however, we wanted to offer you a heads-up and also a chance to let us know if the Editor Hotline subforum contains any sensitive information that you have posted there and want us removed. We feel this is an important step - so please, if you think this could be the case, let us know over the weekend either here or via a private message.

We hope releasing this "community created" knowledge base will be helpful to some while inspiring to others. We sure did learn a lot!

If you have any questions or concerns, as usual - let us know below!

That's all for now, have a great weekend and stay classy ylanders!

---

And now for your questions from last week:

Out of curiosity how is the implementation of mini bosses in ylands and such?

Good question. They are still planned but will be added only after the new pathfinding and AI is implemented (0.14 or 0.15).

Could you also consider adding something similiar to minecraft where the last bed you slept on is your respawn point? 

We'll be doing a lot of improvements to Explore - we'll talk about those in one of the future Dev Diaries .

Lastly, any news on controlled movement for objects over time?

The first iteration is present in the upcoming update, we plan to make it more robust and powerful in the one that comes after that.

Chat while in editor?

Yes, this is present in the upcoming update 0.13 as well 

Will it be possible to have multiple players in editor? 

We understand that cooperation while creating new content is important but this would be quite a complex feature. We're already discussing all the options but I don't think this will happen any time soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Any ETA on the dedicated servers not being able to use the editor explore maps? This is a massive problem for those of us trying to use all the cool new features? IS IT EVEN UNDER REVIEW YET?

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, bb cakes_P1 said:

Any ETA on the dedicated servers not being able to use the editor explore maps? This is a massive problem for those of us trying to use all the cool new features? IS IT EVEN UNDER REVIEW YET?

Having seen the new documentation I am still unable to get servers to host the new map types. 

Trying to make sure I am not wrong. 

Edited by RedEagle_P1.
  • Upvote 1

Hi, we have tested it again and it seems to work for us. (we tried it with new explore map created in editor). There may be many reason why it does not run for you (wrong config file, missing pregenerated files or just some piece of VS which does not work with DS :( )

Can you please send us your DsConfig.json , .ygt file and log files?

To run a fresh test I need to export my game but when I do I get: 

2019-05-21_110336.png.745cb636c0423b82880335e803f213d1.png

I believe this is also stopping me from saving games or why my game saves are being deleted. 

Edited by RedEagle_P1.

5 hours ago, Houp said:

Hi, we have tested it again and it seems to work for us. (we tried it with new explore map created in editor). There may be many reason why it does not run for you (wrong config file, missing pregenerated files or just some piece of VS which does not work with DS :( )

Can you please send us your DsConfig.json , .ygt file and log files?

I dont have access to those via nitrado. @RedEagle_P1.

• Downvote 1

16 hours ago, RedEagle_P1. said:

To run a fresh test I need to export my game but when I do I get: 

2019-05-21_110336.png.745cb636c0423b82880335e803f213d1.png

I believe this is also stopping me from saving games or why my game saves are being deleted. 

Hi, please check this thread:

You seem to be out of your steam cloud

6 hours ago, Houp said:

Hi, please check this thread:

You seem to be out of your steam cloud

I know but you cant export without steam cloud and the 1 map I have is bigger than steam cloud's space. 

18 hours ago, RedEagle_P1. said:

You can see my DsConfig from my last working attempt here:  

Hi, it seems to me that you have attached a log file instad of DsConfig.

3 hours ago, Houp said:

Hi, it seems to me that you have attached a log file instad of DsConfig.

The dsconfig is in the topic i linked:) 

Edited by RedEagle_P1.