Adam Snellgrove

Dev Diary #105

19 minutes ago, Aleš Ulm said:

@RedEagle_P1. As far as I know since 0.14 we've fixed some issues that caused servers to slow down and become unstable (we managed to fix the issues we found in the games that players reported that we checked). I can't promise that we've fixed everything because there could be issues we didn't see/experience but I think that, in the least, you should see a big improvement. 

I am rooting for you guys, and sending as much feedback as I can. 

Edited by RedEagle_P1.

Pretty much anything would be an improvement.  Things in MP servers are pretty dire.  

And by not supporting dedicated servers you have pretty much solved YOUR priblem, not ours.

Real talk here @Aleš Ulm many of us here love this game and we are seeing it die with every "improvement." All the cool features in the world wilk not save a game that is unplayable.

I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by bojo2736
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, RedEagle_P1. said:

I am rooting for you guys, and sending as much feedback as I can. 

Are you putting in the 'reference codes' we talked about? It'd help us a great deal if we could relate it to a Forum Post ? But thank you very much for your support.

16 minutes ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

Are you putting in the 'reference codes' we talked about? It'd help us a great deal if we could relate it to a Forum Post ? But thank you very much for your support.

I only do this when I have feedback from in game connected with a forum topic right?

6 minutes ago, RedEagle_P1. said:

I only do this when I have feedback from in game connected with a forum topic right?

Well it would still help to know you sent it, so I could ask you some additional questions about it ? Because otherwise, it's anonymous. 

17 minutes ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

Well it would still help to know you sent it, so I could ask you some additional questions about it ? Because otherwise, it's anonymous. 

Oh, ill add RedEagle in each then. 

• Thanks 1

@bojo2736 Sure, not having to support private dedicated servers solves some problems for us, but really there's no "you and us". If we don't manage to create an ecosystem that works, is easy to manage, where great games are created and played, Exploration continuously expanded and improved, and, of course, a system that creates a revenue, then, obviously, we all lose. 

I'm sorry, but I don't see things the same way you do when it comes to the current state of the game (but I'm talking about the version we have now, not 0.14 :)) . I don't think the game is "dying with every improvement". Actually I believe the game is in MUCH better shape then ever before (it may not be obvious from this beta, since you can't access a lot of things, but I think it will be obvious when 1.0 comes out). Every feature we've added in the past year was crucial for the game's success - more tools for creators, social features, so that players can play and communicate together and more.

Unfortunately, you're right that we also had to take some unpopular steps. We didn't manage to make the water work correctly and efficiently so we removed it temporarily. The same goes for FPS camera. Those (and few more)  are obviously areas where we failed to certain extent but we believe that when the game is released it's important to only have features present that work correctly. I know that you and many other current players wouldn't probably mind having those even if they are not perfect, be we need to be prepared for the influx of new players who are unforgiving and expect certain level of quality.

I'm sorry for such a long reply :) but there's really no other way of making things better than to bombard us with the bugs you experience and keep providing feedback. It's just like I said - for now we've believe we fixed the issues that caused slowing down instability in servers based on reports we got. If we get more, we'll fix it as well. If you knew how many bugs we fixed just in the past two months I think you'd worry about Ylands a tiny bit less :)  

• Like 3

Maps dying after hours of play is a real problem.  And from what I hear, is not only still happening, it's getting worse.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Igor Q. said:

Should I start making or uploading my games onto the new editor?

Not until live -- also all our games broke: 

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

• Like 1

also i would love to see a "blueprint creation tab or "button" " into the new editor :) 

Edited by Dead8Eye
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

There won't be Exploration servers on release because out of experience Exploration isn't really suitable for public servers, since a lot of people just join in, destroy whatever they see and log out ruining the game for the group of people, that actually want to create something ?

Good luck with the game, after having invested and supported this game since day one, i am officially done

many of us log in and enjoy multiplayer explore and have no problems once we get a protection orb down, no where do I see any complaints anywhere about servers being ruined by others who "destroy" everything

How are we to play multiplayer explore?    Are we are to pay for servers to play multiplayer explore, in a game we paid for with the premise it would have this feature ?

seems like more last ditch efforts to change the game around to save and earn money

and yes those mini-games are cheesey money grabbing  and lame, for you to imply they are not money grabbing all while removing servers to protect monetization  is an insult to your early access donators

Edited by fiver9

true, most actually features we have access since day 1, will get a pay2play aspect in the next update. this is a large problem for new players. (in adv. ylands are only just about 80 guys whore actually playing by steamcharts actually)

but the upcoming payable exploration mode isnt for guys, who have alredy access to the game. this is important for know that. so you will not pay for the exploration mode if you could play it yet. however, im thinking the game is shooting down himself with that idea.

the game dont need editable content for the editor (because and but a "blueprint creation tab" would be nice  :P) but more directly EM content for playing alone or with friends - to do quests or shipping around the world building stuff, npc enemiehardcoregameplaydingens, for getting more action in this gamemode. not a gameplay "experience" by content creators only. im with you, that the EM (exploration mode) is too lowbob for multiplayer and the mini-games get not large interests by the community. you have no real target what you have todo into the game because the missing balance. Ylands could be able to be a good alternative to ATLAS (the game i mean) but it isnt actually. ylands works stable but thats it. 

but anything of these facts, the game is in early access actually and this is why i answered on your comment, so that the devs can read my own and personally problem with ylands today. the next update comes about next week. im thinking and while were waiting for, we just can only hope, that the update brings more directly content into the EM. so id looking into the beta, and yes we get much more new animals, npc creating, a new ship ect... but for me personally, it isnt very much for calling it a "big update". but ok - for the future what is that meaning? 

the next update is on the way. in future i hope the devs will bring more directly content into the EM not only to the editor. how i said at beginning - the game are only playing about 80 guys by steamcharts actually. thats not very much for such good game hows ylands. @devs pls orientate your team into the way from another game hows ATLAS (because the content, not the buggy gameplay) and fillup the EM with more life in future.  ;)

Edited by Dead8Eye
  • Like 1

I have played the beta for a few hours now. If this is a fair representation of full release, you can do a lot in the free version.  Obviously I can't speak for anything exploration related.  But for those of you worried about not being able to play with friends without renting a server,  you can still self host.  And the player limit right now is 10.  I was able to make a sandbox map in editor, throw in a few scripted things, then /exportlocal. Make the game saveable when you are in editor.  Make a multiplayer game and it works just fine.  And without any noticeable performance hit on my computer.   I had four of us playing and no problems.  Well, except for BeeOne.  He is always a problem. 

Ylands_191123_061532.png

Edited by bojo2736
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

hopefully the next update brings autocannons and NPC ships with it :) 

20191126150136_122a.thumb.jpg.95d3ac4f9911eb2dee82efc83871ca05.jpg

20191126154315_15547.thumb.jpg.3be546fb3516152d53f02ace50ccd0be.jpg

Edited by Dead8Eye

1 hour ago, Dead8Eye said:

hopefully the next update brings autocannons and NPC ships with it :) 

20191126150136_122a.thumb.jpg.95d3ac4f9911eb2dee82efc83871ca05.jpg

20191126154315_15547.thumb.jpg.3be546fb3516152d53f02ace50ccd0be.jpg

I first thought this was an actual drawing and not Ylands! ? We definitely want to have NPC's on ships, but that will be difficult to implement, so give us time on that one ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

I first thought this was an actual drawing and not Ylands! ? We definitely want to have NPC's on ships, but that will be difficult to implement, so give us time on that one ?

You know what? I think I could probably script this! XD

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2019 at 4:22 PM, Adam Snellgrove said:

i dont meaning primary NPCs on ship :) but also they will be cool (btw the ships have to be bigger before its gonna a lag-party on a galley XD because the missing space)

but cannons who could shooting by friends or the captain while be on the steer will be a very nice part of the game! (or specific cannon types who get this options) we could place a "ammunation-chest" on the ship and specific cannons where can be filled directly by the chest with cannonballs while they can be fired and controlled directly from the steer. this opens the option for implement NPC pirate ships eventually with "unlimited ammo-chests" for them too :) the only thing they needs is a targeting-system for the captain who controls the ship hows ATLAS or AsassinsCreed:BlackFlag in that way. 

(pssst, pls dont forget the "blueprint creation tab in editor first" :P )

btw - the pictures are from ylands :D i love this game so hopefully you (the devs) expand the exploration mode overtime.

20191126160217_1.thumb.jpg.afaf95b31754ebb62660ae2996cb4316.jpg

Edited by Dead8Eye