Adam Snellgrove

Interview Ynterview #13 - Adam

Every week we'll bring you an Ynterview with a member of our Ylands team. In this week's Ynterview we couldn’t get a hold of anyone other than our Community Manager Adam…sorry. Lucky number 13 I guess. @Adam Snellgrove

Ynterview Adam.png

First off, what do you do here at the Ylands team and what’d you do before you joined?

Well I am the Community Manager and I tend to our Social Media. Before I joined the team I was a journalist at the Prague Journal and radio host at the Czech Radio. You can still find some of my ‘Adam’s Expats’ and ‘Adam’s Mish Mash’ episodes online…but please don’t…

How long have you worked on Ylands? What was the 1st thing you worked on when you joined?

I think I have to be one of the most senior members here, cause I’ve been here nearly 4 months. I think maybe Aleš has been here longer, not sure about the others. The 1st thing I did was work out a Social Media Plan…I’m still doing that to be honest though. 
But the first thing I ever posted was this…still probably my best work to date:

I just absolutely love the community and what those guys are capable of. And also, what kind of players Ylands attracts: creative, fun and easy-going. Makes being a Community Manager an absolute joy. But no wonder, because Ylands is just that: creative, fun and easy-going.

And what is for you the most exciting feature coming in the near future?

The fact, that Ylands will be free to play. So many players to interact in the future makes me a bit nervous but also incredibly excited, because we’ll get a ton of creative people flooding in, but also just folk, who like to play relaxing and original games and that will be a great crowd. Other than that the Camera Controls and the new Exploration features are absolutely fantastic ?

What are you working on right now?

On my own Yntervie…I mean I’m writing up this Thursday’s Dev Diary and trying to come up with not too cringey posts for Twitter. And bugs. Always cataloguing bugs for QA ?

What was the most difficult thing to implement to date?

Getting peoples trust a bit after a communication hiatus was a bit difficult, but absolutely expected and understandable. But I think it has never been a better time to be in Ylands than this. Other than that a few bugs were super annoying, but we are slowly getting rid of them. Oh an learning at least the basics in Editor to be able to create Archie’s adventures ?

What do you do in your free time?

In my free time I play cooperative boardgames and discgolf with my fiancée and we go on trips and generally enjoy ourselves thoroughly. I also get shouted at by my cat. And I play all kind of computer games (Ylands, grand strategies, shooters, RPG’s). And I have a DnD group. And I go to university (History). And drink tea.

Do you think it is inappropriate to have a kettle right next to your desk at work and to make tea while everyone around you is trying to work?

I feel this is an attack on my person…and my kettle.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I really like the video editing adam :)

Edited by Igor Q.
  • Thanks 1

G'day Gordon, let me start with sorry to hear of your cancer. 

There must of been a communication breakdown, sometimes this happens. I don't know what was said.... but I can say is Adam is doing a wonderful job with the community and trying to please everyone (including myself.. and oh boy that's never easy).

We have a very helpful community, which will be more than happy to answer any of your question's.

I hope that you and your friend will give Ylands another go after the next update.... which isn't far away at all now! :D

• Upvote 1

Two things.

You have a cat and have not posted pictures?  I'm pretty sure that's against the law.

Are we getting cows?

Thanks for all your hard work Adam.  We loves ya!

5 hours ago, gordon1963 said:

So Mr FAKE NEWS Adam Snellgrove you call your self a dev when you call A 56year old man dying of Stage 4 cancer a liar. You should be ashamed of your self I was trying to answer a question on steam. When asked about survival mode and I told him there was no survival its to easy just walk around and pick stuff up no digging. He wanted to know about the game now not months from now. DH ;} PS read before commenting next time PPS they will make anyone a dev when times are desperate

I am very sorry for your condition, but as I explained on Steam, I was making a joke (a bad one it seems), that you can pick up stuff in the real world as well, but obviously you can't pick up gold or copper...well only if you're lucky I guess. But in Ylands this is possible to do, which does make it easier than the real world I admit. I do hope you will give Ylands a try again and that this hasn't soured the game for you completely, but if it did, then accept my humblest apologies, because my aim was to lighten the mood, not darken it further (as it so often happens on Steam, unfortunately).

And if you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to ask me or the great community we have here.

55 minutes ago, bojo2736 said:

Two things.

You have a cat and have not posted pictures?  I'm pretty sure that's against the law.

Are we getting cows?

Thanks for all your hard work Adam.  We loves ya!

It is against the law not to post pictures of your cat, I checked. So here it is: 

20191016_214315.jpg

Also, we hopefully will be getting cows in the big animal update we have planned for next year ?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

I am very sorry for your condition, but as I explained on Steam, I was making a joke (a bad one it seems), that you can pick up stuff in the real world as well, but obviously you can't pick up gold or copper...well only if you're lucky I guess. But in Ylands this is possible to do, which does make it easier than the real world I admit. I do hope you will give Ylands a try again and that this hasn't soured the game for you completely, but if it did, then accept my humblest apologies, because my aim was to lighten the mood, not darken it further (as it so often happens on Steam, unfortunately).

And if you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to ask me or the great community we have here.

It is against the law not to post pictures of your cat, I checked. So here it is: 

20191016_214315.jpg

Also, we hopefully will be getting cows in the big animal update we have planned for next year ?

We were about to fine you 10,000 Coyns  for lack of a picture but you’re going to get away with it this time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1